AlphaStreetResearch

View AlphaStreetResearch's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Matson Inc. - The Contradiction Of Performing Okay In Times Of High Demand And Much Better In Times Of Low Demand [View article]
    Thank you guys for the comments. This truly confirms why Seeking Alpha is a great investment tool, the collaborative effort makes this a stronger and more accurate story.

The comment is correct on the two other shipping companies,
    1. Pasha company, while they do ship to Hawaii, according to our research only has one boat (roll on /roll off) that mainly transports military transport vehicles and other vehicles. I wouldn't necessarily call them a competitor. Someone correct me if I'm reading wrong though.
    2. Horizon Lines has one of the segments or routes acquired by Matson (Guam service) and we misinterpreted this.

I do not feel that this changes the overall thesis of our opinion on Matson.

Thank you all for your input.
    Nov 26 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Oct 31 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • OmniVision Technologies - Looking At The Big 'Picture' And Diversifying Away From Apple [View article]
    That did hold true, but OmniVision has developed a number of methods for enhancing image quality which have increased image sensor sensitivity to light, which in turn will boost low light performance even more.
    Aug 2 02:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Importance Of P/E Ratios In Selecting Stocks - An S&P 500 Case Study [View article]
    Larocag - Excellent catch, and thank you for reading the article thoroughly. I don't know if I can convince you, but I can certainly explain. It has to do with two things, a.) index construction for the S&P, b.) how I choose to create the 10 portfolios.
    1.) S&P is market cap weighted, I choose to have equal weight positions in the portfolio. There is a big difference in this over the last decade, and several article have been written here on SA. To see for yourself pull up a comparison chart of SPY vs. RSP. Both hold 500 companies but one is equal weight (RSP). Having a heavier weight on the small caps has been a big advantage in this time period.
    2. Dividends - S&P index, the pure quoted number, doesn't include dividends. My investment assumption included the effect of dividends attribute to about 2-2.5% of the outperformance of all buckets.
    3. Sub- Year analysis. I ran this scenario for the whole period, and this is what you see here, but also ran for each year individually. For 2008 as an example every bar was below the S&P. This is the same effect as described in point #1, just the reverse. Small caps performed poorly.

I hope this helps clear this up.
    Jul 29 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you BuyandHold. Agree. Hopefully this article helps to point out that it's not just a good idea because of value, but the last decade actually shows you that profits are there is well.
    Jul 28 08:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Turning CVR Partners' Dividends Into Real Profits [View article]
    For all those following this stock along with me, next few weeks of investor sentiment here could tell us quite a bit.

Any thoughts? FYI - I'd still be holding this through first week in August, I like the attention they receive near dividend pay date.

-Author-
    Jul 18 08:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology - A Different Company In 2014, Worth The Investment Now [View article]
    Vet67to82 ..... Nice call.

Agree with you, listen to the calls, crunch your own numbers. Bottom line 'reported earnings' doesn't always tell the true story.

Nice work.
    Hunter
    Jul 18 08:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    just saying 2......Excellent point.

1.) First let me point you to the blue bar graph that first appears, where MU has total market share of 15% and Elpida is 6%, combined equalling 21%. Under that math we would get to 'New MU' having revenues of 11.2B.
    2.) You might have been looking at the colorful verticle stacked bar chart, which only highlights DRAM, which accounts for 47% of MU's business (so just highlighting a sub-segment here).
    3.) And most importantly..... that $10.5B estimate for FY '14 that you see in the neon green bar is 'Wall Street Average Estimate'. And that is part of the story here, we believe they are low, and MU will beat in FY '14 or analysts will have to raise their numbers.....both a positive case for the stock.
    4.) Unfortunately.... 1+1 equals less than 2 sometimes in acquisitions. So $8B and $3.5B might only equal $11B.

I hope that cleared up our opinion here. Feel free to contact here or privately if you have specific questions, we'll try to answer if we can.
    Jul 18 08:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Turning CVR Partners' Dividends Into Real Profits [View article]
    Thank you all for the additional thoughts. We will all keep a close on crop prices and weather with this holding.
    Jun 30 07:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment