Anchorite

View Anchorite's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel's Cherry Trail Disappoints With Performance: Is This As Bad As It Seems? [View article]
    "in the lucrative phone market,"
    This will never be lucrative to Intel because they are on the low end not the leading edge. Remember, Intel has lived on the huge gross margins of the Wintel monopoly and to a lesser extent the Xeon server semi-monopoly for a long time. They will never see those margins in phones and the profits from their monopolies are going to shrink over the next few years.
    Feb 26, 2015. 10:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Su Stakes Future On Low Power Carrizo [View article]
    I assume you are in hiding somewhere?
    "this might be a filly you can lay a fiver on now."
    Feb 26, 2015. 08:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Don't Be Too Cautious [View article]
    Bruce, cannot disagree with anything you said there.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 26, 2015. 07:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dex Media: A Very Risky Bet Unless New CEO Can Quickly Stop Sales Decline [View article]
    Martino, sounds like Dex has lot's to learn and not much time to do it. If they could just un-learn their debt maybe they would have a chance.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 26, 2015. 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's News Shows Samsung Is A Long-Term Threat To Micron And Intel [View article]
    white, I had the SSD installed about 2 years ago. Booting is 3-4 times as fast ditto loading some of my very large excel spreadsheets (200k rows by 20 columns) and that solved 2 primary problems. I only have 64GB now but am upgrading to 256GB which is plenty for my needs. Cheaper soon absolutely and unit CAGRS in the 50% range for a few years as SSD's flood the server market. The question whether Intel/MU will be that much better than the competition or whether they will even hit their deadline is my concern. In other words does "disruptive pricing" mean relative to other SSD makers or just to traditional hard drives.
    Feb 26, 2015. 07:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Awilco Drilling - Best Of A Bad Bunch? [View article]
    stv, very good point.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 25, 2015. 08:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    white, I think most people (not all) are going to defer upgrades. For example there is no way I would pay 1,500 for an upgraded PC. I have more power than I need right now. Installation of an SSD drive made all the difference in the world in my AMD W7 PC.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 25, 2015. 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    7of9, yes you are correct.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 25, 2015. 08:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    techy, I hope everyone is cautious and maybe I am just super cautious but I would just like to see something actually accomplished.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 25, 2015. 08:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Martino, ain't gonna be easy that's for sure.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 25, 2015. 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Don't Be Too Cautious [View article]
    Bill, great article as usual. However I would like to clarify some of the points made.
    1. Buybacks don't mean much.
    You use 2010 as a starting point no problem except the avg. price of INTC over that period is 24 so price paid per retired share (42) is 75% greater.
    The $8b (maybe 10b by now) spent on buybacks the last 2 quarters of 2014 has not moved the price at all. My point here is Intel BB will not be like Seagate or IBM.
    2. Competitors are pumping out more patents.
    My point here was just that Intel has many, many big aggressive competitors and future profits will be no slam-dunk and yes IBM is evidence that patents are not the be-all and end-all as I said in the article "Of course IBM proves that accolades are not profits."
    3. I think we agree on IoT effects on Intel.
    4. Contra revenue.
    So $10B in losses to gain market share and BK says in last CC unit sales in 2015 will be about the same at 46 million. There is no way to make this look good until you start selling at a profit and it is very difficult to convince a customer that has been receiving huge dollars to move your product that he is going to have to start paying list price. This also is far from a slam dunk.
    Thanks for referencing my article.
    Anchorite
    Feb 25, 2015. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    L, that;s true but Seth Klarman just reduced his MU holdings by about 60%.
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 25, 2015. 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    beachie, you are correct "a" instead of "e".
    Thanks for commenting,
    Feb 25, 2015. 08:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Memories, if we have a DMZ problem then Apple's memory needs will be a minor problem.
    Thanks for commenting,