Andrew Han

View Andrew Han's Comments BY TICKER:

• Netflix: The Recent Sell-Off Created Rare Opportunity To Buy Below Fair Value [View article]
    If you liked it at ~$127 you must now LOVE it at $115. I'd rather wait for the price to stabilize before diving in.
    Sep 29, 2011. 11:43 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top 5 Quality Dividend Paying Companies: A Performance Assessment [View article]
    Iron sharpens iron "cross"! We all need to be open to have our ideas and values challenged. The great freedoms we have allow us to do this and I have to believe that for most of us we do so with the best intentions as long as it includes respect for each others views - not that this has its own challenges in of itself.
    Feb 14, 2011. 11:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "eager" - I look forward to getting to 86 years of age and interested in making my money work!!! You may be able to give us some great life insights and share your perspectives and experiences here.

"cross" - If we are going to consider the scenario you have highlighted, my inclination would be not to invest, which I clearly stated as an option and would not go for the "invest to hedge" option.

Readers: It may be of use to categorize companies into 7 Deadly Sins - Anger, Lust, Sloth, Gluttony, Pride, Envy, and Greed - and even within those categories, identify the extremes at which they sit. "cross"'s fictitious company would be at the extreme-level within Anger.

If such a company were to exist (which it very well may, I have not investigated foreign exchanges extensively or all of the companies listed in the US), unfortunately there will be people who will invest and those who do not for various reasons.

If we look at the big picture of life, we live in a world that has both good and evil, and because we have abandoned absolutes, good and evil becomes relative to the extent that the justification of the taking of life comes without an agreed upon foundation. What is just cause? Is the U.S. action just? Is the terrorist action just?

The question essentially asked is a valid one that ALL humans must answer for themselves. What is the purpose for which you were put on this world, and how do you wish to live your life as a result? What value do you place on the material world? Is the material world all that there is to life?

"cross" if we are to go to the extent of questioning the social aspect of investing to your extreme, then you need to question even your participation in the markets itself, for it can be argued that this in itself is not socially responsible.
    Feb 14, 2011. 07:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The 'Buy and Hold' strategy is a tough one to defend these days with all the volatility in the market, and depending on when you made your first investment 20 years ago, I can appreciate Steve of Michigan's dissatisfaction with JNJ and ABT. ABT on Dec 1,1998 closed at $45.83 (which is where we are trading today) and so you would only have broken even excluding dividends by holding on until now. However, investing any time after ABT bottomed early Jan 2000 $30-$32, you would be much happier I am sure.

Even then ABT has experienced extremes between the 50s in 2001/2002 to the mid to low 30s in 2002/2003 and then back up to the 50s in 2007-2009.

What is my point? Like many using Seeking Alpha, we have realized we have to take ownership of how our money is being managed. It means that we have to take a business perspective to what we are doing and not rely solely on others to do it for us or tell us when to enter or exit an investment decision we have made.

It is a lot of work as I am sure we all can appreciate and with the technology available to us and sites like Seeking Alpha, it makes it a heck of a lot easier with more information available and the ability to direct our investments ourselves whether we take a B&H approach or not. At the end of the day, it is in our best interest to be informed about what is going on with our investments and make the decision our own.

I will have more in a later article on ABT to include my technical view of where ABT is at, but for now on a Monthly chart, ABT is close to bottoming out which may come at $42-$44. We would need to see if it can recover and stay above $50-$52 for us to see a reversal in the downtrend.

Note: I use technical analysis to get a demand/supply perspective of how the stock is trading and helps paint the picture of the trend. Whether I enter or exit is my own decision and may be different for you. My statements above are my own opinion and not a recommendation to buy or sell.
    Feb 14, 2011. 10:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great comments everyone. It would make for a good article on 'socially conscious investing' and I probably will write an article on my approach to investing, but for now I would like us to consider approaching the task at hand from a pragmatic capital investment perspective in that you have resources that you can either spend or allocate to work for you through capital investment in a stock and receive capital gains, dividends or both and possibly neither.

To "theyenguy", I defined quality as meeting the fundamental criteria detailed in my article. From a technical perspective, ABT has recently fallen. Will it fall more or rise? Who knows. That is a function of demand and supply, and future outlook which remains for the most intact. If you believe it is 'quality' as I have defined, then ABT is cheap at the moment and you should buy in, else stay out and look for a better stock.

For those who have commented on social investing, my view is that if you fundamentally disagree with the business the company is in, then don't allocate your capital there. Another way of looking at it is, by investing, you can use those profits to help someone suffering from the effects of their business - use their bullets against them and hedge the effects.

It is a pragmatic approach, but one worth considering as well as asking yourself what the big picture is, your purpose in investing, and ultimately what you are trying to achieve with your capital resources.
    Feb 14, 2011. 02:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple Having Butterflies? [View instapost]
    Great comments DerekNJND! Thanks!
    Jun 25, 2010. 09:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top Five Quality Dividend Paying Companies [View article]
    neehelptoo: Seeking Alpha has lots of great information and I would recommend you check out Fool.com which also offer a lot of free money management advice and when you are ready you can try out their paid services.

lordbru has some good advice - stay away from penny stocks and peer-to-peer lending. There are better and safer ways of making a buck.
    Jun 22, 2010. 08:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top Five Quality Dividend Paying Companies [View article]
    Of the $11 billion, $6 billion was issued in 2008 to buy UST maturing in 2013, 2018 and 2038. I am not sure if MO is funding the payment of (or had funded) law suits SPECIFICALLY through the remaining $5 billion debt or current earnings/cash, but imagine it would be current earnings/cash depending on what the lawsuits require. There are a number of lawsuits ongoing and so I do not expect payments to disappear any time soon.
    Jun 21, 2010. 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment