Andrew N. Smith

View Andrew N. Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • For Higher Returns, Avoid These 2 Investment Biases [View article]
    Thanks for reading, Yosemite. I'm still holding. I was waiting for the launch, and am continuing to see how things play out. Regarding observations, I don't think I have anything new to add to the conversation. Sentiment is obviously very polarized, which can lead people to dig into their 'positions', encouraging swings. Initially (and somewhat still), the launch was treated like a binary event, but the next potential catalyst or pitfall always sits around the corner, meaning the outcome is unlikely to be the outright demise or unabashed success of the stock. BB has the credibility to own a niche of the market - and depending on the whims of the consumer - a little something beyond that. I think it may take some time to manifest this strength - particularly with the later release of the keyboard model - which will lead to some short-term downside pressure, but I think there's hope beyond that. Who knows though? Certainly not I.
    Mar 26 06:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Three Reasons Why You Can Beat The Professional Investors [View article]
    Fair point. Although, a lot of articles and comments around here speak to people valuing process (a particular investing approach, selection/selling criteria, etc.) as well, perhaps as a means to cope with the uncertainty of the markets.
    Mar 23 01:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • TripAdvisor: The Future Travel Industry Online Advertising King [View article]
    Thanks for your analysis, James!
    Mar 20 10:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Outdoor Media: A Bidding War In The Making [View article]
    Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Mar 20 08:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Some Monetary Lessons From Cyprus [View article]
    Very nice insights.
    Mar 20 03:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry - Balance Sheet And Future Cash Flows Should Stop You From Shorting [View article]
    Nice analysis!
    Mar 13 09:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fence-Sitting: The Elusive Art Of More Data And Pullbacks [View article]
    Insightful comment, convoluted.
    Jan 16 11:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brandtastic Portfolio Cleans Up Against The Market [View article]
    There's definitely a lot of good hockey out there at the major jr. level and below. I'm just a home-town sucker for the 'Laughs'. Just checked the O standings and it doesn't look like the Wolves are having a great season though (although they're not stinking it up as much as the 67s). 'Tis the season for the World Juniors...
    Dec 10 02:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brandtastic Portfolio Cleans Up Against The Market [View article]
    ...and just in case you want some support for your approach from the academic world, here's a journal article that has your back (takes you to a .pdf file: http://bit.ly/SOOyTM).

As a Canadian, I can live without my Timmy's (maybe because I'm not a coffee drinker), but I do enjoy a Timbit now and again. Going without hockey, however, is tougher. I do, as a former copy-tester and marketing student, have a lot of respect for the Timmy's brand though. I guess I have you to thank for that!
    Dec 6 01:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do Closed End Funds Generate Alpha? Evidence From The U.S. Equity Asset Class [View article]
    I really enjoyed your rigorous analysis, Bard. Thank you for sharing.
    Dec 6 01:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coming Weeks' 10 Market Movers: Their Big Lesson For 2013 [View article]
    Loads of detail. Thanks for the summary, Cliff!
    Nov 26 02:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantifying The Significance Of Black Friday Trading [View article]
    Fun stuff! Thanks for pulling this together.
    Nov 26 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Invest Like Kevin O'Leary [View article]
    "The Don Cherry of the investment world."

Nice analogy.
    Nov 23 09:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is There Wisdom In The Crowd(Funding)? [View article]
    Nice review. Thanks!
    Nov 18 10:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The One Stock Portfolio [View article]
    The 'Big 5' is a colloquial term for the 5 largest banks in Canada: http://bit.ly/Uw5M6H
    Nov 6 11:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment