Andrew Schmitt

View Andrew Schmitt's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Google: A Year After The Wall St. Journal's Cover Story [View article]
    No BS Belly button staring. You are either right or wrong. You were wrong.
    Mar 2 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BT Group: Reversing a Victorian Tradition [View article]
    I judge a company based on where they derive their revenue, not announced products that may indicate a hopeful direction but have yet to gain real traction. Sonus sells gateways. That's their big business. I think the gateway business is going away. When it does, SBC vendors will still be there. Gateway vendors will not.

When Sonus starts selling large quantities of other equipment I'll change my mind. Until then I'll stand by my assertions.

Please name one carrier using Sonus as a true SBC, providing transcoding and security at the NNI.
    Feb 28 03:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did Starbucks' CEO Really Say That? [View article]
    Nice article... I agree his statement shows a large amount of spin.

We are in a Starbucks economy. Things may change and we'll have a McDonalds economy.
    Feb 8 11:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future of Network Processing Units Doesn't Look Too Rosy [View article]
    No. No position in LNOP today or at any time before.
    Jan 2 07:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LanOptics Raising Stake In EZChip - A Bullish Sign [View article]
    This makes no sense. Existing LNOP shareholders are diluted and you think this is good? Sure it's good! Good for the EZ-Chip investors with an illiquid share who now have access to capital markets!

What is going to happen if all these new shareholders start cascading their liquidity into the market! You can't tell me they are not going to sell- otherwise why would they agree to the swap! What sort of lockup agreements are in place?

This is a meaningless event unless you examine the cost of issuing new shares and compare that against your expected performance of the company.

What am I missing here?
    Dec 20 05:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Net Neutrality: The Real Issue Behind the AT&T/BellSouth Showdown [View article]
    Google is not invincible.
    Dec 20 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peer to Peer Traffic: A Catalyst in Media Evolution [View article]
    P2P is an awful technology for Cablecos because it stresses upstream bandwidth, which is the Achilles heel of their plant. Comcast would rather pay for caching than deal with the hit on their upstream bandwidth.

P2P is the best way to distribute the anti-long tail media, but such media is also the easiest to cache. I just don't see where P2P fits in as a mainstream distribution technology.
    Dec 11 05:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Negativity on the LSI Logic-Agere Merger [View article]
    Maybe we don't disagree.

The companies that are best candidates for mergers are the least desirable for private buyout.

I just don't see how the LSI/Agere merger is even related to a private party takeover...
    Dec 7 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Negativity on the LSI Logic-Agere Merger [View article]
    I like your stuff but you are reaching here.

First of all, you should figure in a fully priced Agere - the stock won't reach buyout value till the deal closes.

Second, you are ignoring the larged fixed opex cost reductions that come with such a combination. This will make the EBITDA returns look better.

You are applying the same private buyout logic to a merger, which doesn't work.

This makes a lot of sense to me, and I expect to see more.
    Dec 6 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Akamai: Doomed To Commidification [View article]
    They are today. What about tomorrow?
    Dec 5 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • So Again, Why is Intel Cutting Prices Without Serious Competition From AMD? Beats Us [View article]
    Got it. FYI Intel is (was?) in the NPU business and probably has the greatest market share. The revenue in this area is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of what he CPUs generate.
    Dec 4 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Intel CPUs have zero to do with NPUs. Who are you Angelo - a promoter?

God forbid Blog spam crossing over into the investment domain.
    Dec 4 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3Com Ready For Technical and Value Investors [View article]
    Note I didn't think it would "Take the wind out of their sails". Good companies can recover from events like this. I think Huawei/3Com is such a company. My article was more about Cisco, and how they go about their business than a negative piece on Huawei/3Com
    Nov 28 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cable's Analog Ghetto: Why Broadlogic's Solution Is Unlikely To Work [View article]
    The announcement got big coverage with shallow analysis. That's why I decided to write up the contrarian side that is so obvious.
    Nov 7 12:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pali: Sprint Buyout Rumors Are False, Stock's Overpriced [View article]
    Prepare to eat your words Mr. Piecyk.
    Nov 6 07:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment