View as an RSS Feed
View Andy Batts' Articles BY TICKER:
AA, AAPL, ABAX, ABMD, ABT, AFFX, ALGN, ALR, AMZN, ANGO, ANIK, ARMH, ATEC, AUXL, BABY, BAC, BSTC, CAMP, CCJ, CMGE, CNMD, CPHD, CRY, CSCO, CSII, CW, CYBX, CYNO, CYOU, DF, DXCM, ELOS, EXAS, EXPE, FB, FLDM, FOR, GAME, GENTY, GLD, GMED, GNC, GOOG, GOOGL, HAR, HGR, HTWR, IART, IBM, INSM, INTC, ISRG, JNJ, LHCG, LMNX, MASI, MSFT, MYGN, NIHD, NUVA, NXTM, OFIX, ONCY, ORMP, OSIR, PFE, PL, PPLT, QGEN, QTM, SIRI, SLAB, SMA, SNDK, SOFO, SPRT, STX, SYUT, TGI, THOR, UDN, URS, V, VAC, WFC, WMT, XRS, ZINC
Update: Sonic Foundry Reported Encouraging Fiscal Q4 And 2014 Earnings
- Sonic Foundry reported encouraging earnings for the fiscal fourth quarter and set its fiscal 2015 guidance for billings at $45 million.
- In my original article I said that Sonic Foundry is transforming itself to become a full-fledged media and communication company.
- The company’s recent acquisition of Mediasite KK and MediaMission BV, which boosted its international billings significantly, supports my view.
Update: FDA Clears Johnson & Johnson's Insulin Pump, An Artificial Pancreas Quickened
- Animas, a Johnson & Johnson unit, has won FDA approval for its Animas Vibe insulin pump.
- In my original article, I said that Johnson & Johnson's artificial pancreas may be launched much earlier than expected.
- The FDA clearance of the Animas Vibe insulin pump affirms my view.
Update: Dean Foods Q3 2014 Earnings
- Dean Foods’ third-quarter 2014 revenue is showing signs of recovery from the worst level.
- In my original article I said that Dean Foods' growth drivers include its flavored milk business and cost-reduction strategy.
- In the third quarter the company has made significant improvements on both fronts, as per my expectations.
- I believe the stock has significant upside from the current level.
Update: Horsehead Holding Q3 2014 Earnings
- Horsehead Holding’s third-quarter 2014 financial results remained a mixed bag, but more positive than negative.
- In my original article I said that over the medium term zinc prices will rise and boost Horsehead’s revenue.
- During the third quarter the company’s revenue increased to a limited extent driven by higher zinc prices, as I expected.
- I’d recommend buying the stock around the current price.
Update: BioSpecifics Technologies Q3 2014 Earnings
- BioSpecifics Technologies’ third-quarter 2014 earnings were encouraging.
- In my original article I said that XIAFLEX has the potential to boost BioSpecifics' bottom-line significantly.
- The company received $3.5 million of royalties and other payments from Auxilium, an increase of 67% year-over-year driven by XIAFLEX, which met my expectations.
- I am still bullish on the stock.
Update: NxStage Medical Q3 2014 Earnings
- NxStage posted encouraging third-quarter 2014 revenue growth.
- In my original article I said that NxStage’s long-term growth depends on the number of patients who adopt home-based hemodialysis and how quickly they adopt it.
- I am impressed by the company’s revenue performance both in “home” and “critical care” markets in the third quarter.
- Long-term investors are advised to buy the stock during pullbacks.
Update: DexCom Q3 2014 Earnings
- DexCom reported encouraging earnings for the third quarter of 2014.
- Its revenue from G4 PLATINUM continuous glucose monitoring device grew at an impressive rate during the quarter, which has exceeded my expectations that I shared in the original article.
- The company’s financial performance during the third quarter reinstates my bull thesis on the stock.
Update: Insmed Q3 2014 Earnings
- Insmed reported that its net loss during the third quarter of 2014 widened to $24 million from $17.3 million in the prior-year quarter.
- The company’s net loss widened due to increases in personnel costs, manufacturing expenses and pre-commercial activities.
- I was optimistic on Insmed's regulatory progress in both the U.S. and Europe, which I shared in my original article.
- Things are panning out as per my expectations in both regulatory as well as product development fronts.
- I believe the stock is a “buy” around the current price.
Update: LHC Group Q3 2014 Earnings
- LHC Group's earnings and revenue in the third quarter of 2014 remained encouraging.
- I was optimistic on the company's acquisition-based inorganic growth strategy, which I shared in the original article.
- The company's revenue increased significantly as a result of the acquisitions, which reaffirms my bull thesis on the stock.
Update: Forestar Group Q3 2014 Earnings
- Forestar Group’s third quarter 2014 earnings remained unimpressive.
- In my original article, I said the company is benefiting from a rebound in builder demand for finished residential lots, which didn’t entirely happen during the quarter.
- The stock is expected to underperform the market in the near term, and long-term investors should accumulate the stock.
Update: Myriad Genetics Q1 FY 2015 Earnings
- Myriad Genetics’ first quarter fiscal 2015 earnings remained encouraging although that may not appear impressive at first glance.
- In my original article, I said that Myriad’s myRisk will help the company decrease its dependence on BRACAnalysis.
- Its myRisk hereditary cancer revenue grew 95% sequentially, which affirms my view.
- I believe the stock is a “buy” at the current price.
Update: Thoratec Q3 2014 Earnings
- Thoratec reported poor third-quarter earnings, as expected.
- I said in the original article that Thoratec has tremendous growth prospects in the LVAD market.
- However, the company's LVAD business has been negatively impacted as a result of changed perceptions about pump thrombosis.
- I believe long-term investors should accumulate the stock around $28.
Update: Protective Life Q3 2014 Earnings
- Protective Life's third-quarter 2014 earnings remained encouraging and exceeded my expectations.
- However, operating income from its annuities segment remained almost flat, which I didn't expect.
- I continue to believe long-term investors should book profit around $70.
Update: Changyou.com Q3 2014 Earnings
- Changyou.com reported ordinary earnings for the third quarter of 2014.
- Among its games, TLBB grew as I expected in the original article, but Wartune and DDTank continued to disappoint.
- I am not bullish on the stock anymore post the third-quarter earnings.
Update: Integra LifeSciences - A Buy After Q3 2014 Earnings
- Integra reported impressive third-quarter earnings.
- Its neurosurgery and extremities revenue grew as per my expectations, which I shared in my original analysis.
- I believe the stock is a “buy” at the current price post earnings.
Update: Masimo Q3 2014 Earnings
- Masimo posted impressive third-quarter 2014 financial results.
- In the original article I said that Masimo has enormous growth opportunities in the global pulse oximetry market.
- The company’s pulse oximetry product revenue grew as per my expectations, which augments my bull thesis on the stock.
Update: Anika Therapeutics Q3 2014 Earnings
- Anika Therapeutics’ third-quarter 2014 earnings and revenue remained encouraging.
- In the original article I opined that Anika's EPS should grow at a CAGR of 15% for the next three to five years.
- EPS growth of 21% during the quarter affirms my opinion and supports my bull thesis on the stock.
Update: CryoLife Q3 2014 Earnings, Book Profit
- CryoLife posted unimpressive third-quarter 2014 earnings.
- The company's HeRO Graft and PerClot revenue grew significantly during the quarter, per my expectation that I shared in the original article.
- However, the products contribute only 15% to CryoLife’s overall product revenue and less than 10% to its total revenue.
- I don’t feel the combined growth of HeRO Graft and PerClot is enough anymore to boost CryoLife’s value.
- I’d recommend booking profit post third-quarter earnings.
Update: Symmetry Medical Posted Ordinary Q3 2014 Earnings
- Symmetry Medical’s third-quarter revenue was flat year-over-year, while adjusted EPS improved 44.44%.
- In the original article I said that Symmetry’s OEM Solutions business is expected to improve, which happened during the quarter.
- However, its surgical equipment business disappointed a little, and I believe it will improve going forward post the OEM Solutions business sell-off.
Update: Abiomed's Q2 Fiscal 2015 Earnings Remained Impressive
- Abiomed's revenue from Impella heart pumps in the U.S. grew 14%, and outside the U.S., grew 53% during the second quarter of fiscal 2015.
- I said in the original article that Abiomed's Impella range of heart pumps has huge growth potential in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
- I believe the stock should be bought at the current price post-earnings.
Update: Auxilium Pharmaceuticals Q3 2014 Earnings
- Auxilium Pharmaceuticals' revenue from XIAFLEX grew at an impressive rate in the third quarter of 2014.
- I described XIAFLEX as Auxilium's upcoming growth driver in my original article, which came true in the quarter.
- However, I don't see further value in Auxilium, as it's going to be acquired by Endo International.
Update: Heartware International Q3 2014 Earnings
- Heartware’s third quarter revenue growth was impressive, primarily driven by its Ventricular Assist Systems.
- In the original analysis, I warned investors that the company’s cash burn could rise substantially in the near term.
- Increased cash burn prevented the company from becoming profitable in the quarter, as I expected.
- However, I believe these are short-term issues and the company has huge growth prospects in the long run.
Update: Curtiss-Wright Q3 2014 Earnings
- Curtiss-Wright’s third quarter 2014 revenue increased 9% and earnings increased 17%.
- In the original article I expected the company's future revenue will be primarily driven by its energy and commercial/industrial businesses.
- Its revenue growth in the energy and the commercial/industrial businesses remained encouraging during the quarter, as I expected.
- I continue to remain bullish on the stock for the long term.
Update: NuVasive Q3 2014 Earnings
- NuVasive’s third-quarter 2014 revenue growth was encouraging, primarily driven by stronger than expected performance in the U.S.
- In my original analysis I expected that NuVasive's ALIF ACR and XLIF Decade Plate will drive its revenue growth.
- My expectation came true, as pointed out by the company’s chairman and CEO in the third quarter earnings call.
Update: Fluidigm Reported Impressive Q3 2014 Earnings
- Fluidigm’s total revenue in the third quarter grew 62% year-over-year and 7% sequentially.
- My view was that Fluidigm has huge growth prospects in the emerging single-cell genomics market, which I shared in the original analysis.
- The company’s third quarter results support my view and I continue to remain bullish on the stock.
Update: Affymetrix Posts Encouraging Q3 2014 Earnings
- Affymetrix's earnings and revenue both beat analysts' estimates in the third quarter of 2014.
- In my original analysis, I said that Affymetrix is expected to be profitable within FY2014.
- During the third quarter, the company generated its first GAAP profit after the fourth quarter of 2013, which affirms my view.
Update: Alphatec Holdings' Q3 2014 Financial Results Remained A Mixed Bag
- Alphatec’s Q3 2014 financial results remained a mixed bag, but more positive than negative.
- My expectations were met with the company’s ILLICO MIS platform, as I shared in my original article.
- However, its existing spinal fusion products continued to disappoint.
- The stock is a “hold” at the current price after the Q3 results.
Update: Quantum Fiscal 2015 Q2 Earnings
- Quantum’s fiscal 2015 second quarter top and bottom line growth remained encouraging from investors’ point of view.
- In my original analysis, I said that Quantum is emphasizing on data protection and security for taking advantage of the booming big data industry.
- Its scale-out storage and data protection revenues increased significantly during the quarter, which affirms my investment thesis on the stock.
Update: Qiagen 3rd Quarter 2014 Earnings
- Qiagen posted encouraging financial results in the third quarter of 2014.
- In my original article, I noted that Qiagen aimed to accelerate growth in 2014 driven by QIAsymphony and QuantiFeron-TB.
- The company’s adjusted EPS improved significantly in the third quarter, which I believe will continue to climb higher in the coming quarters.
- I’m now bullish on the stock.
Update: Cardiovascular Systems Fiscal 2015 Q1 Earnings
- Cardiovascular Systems posted impressive earnings for the fiscal 2015 first quarter.
- In the original article, I opined that Cardiovascular’s Diamondback 360 has the potential to grab meaningful market share.
- The company’s 39% increase in revenue during the quarter affirms my opinion.
Update: Luminex Q3 2014 Earnings
- Luminex reported impressive earnings for the third quarter of 2014.
- Assay revenue grew 37%, as I expected.
- Assay revenue growth affirms my bull thesis on Luminex.
Update: Alere Reported Unimpressive Q3 Earnings
- Alere reported unimpressive third quarter 2014 earnings.
- Its diagnostics and healthcare IT segments struggled to post revenue growth, which didn’t meet my expectation.
- I believe the stock is fully valued from an earnings point of view.
- However, it could rise based on health management divestiture news.