View as an RSS Feed
View Andy Batts' Articles BY TICKER:
AA, AAPL, ABAX, ABMD, ABT, AFFX, ALGN, ALR, AMZN, ANGO, ANIK, ARMH, ATEC, AUXL, BABY, BAC, BSTC, CAMP, CCJ, CMGE, CNMD, CPHD, CRY, CSCO, CSII, CW, CYBX, CYNO, CYOU, DF, DXCM, ELOS, EXAS, EXPE, FB, FLDM, FOR, GAME, GENTY, GLD, GMED, GNC, GOOG, GOOGL, HAR, HGR, HTWR, IART, IBM, INSM, INTC, ISRG, JNJ, LHCG, LMNX, MASI, MSFT, MYGN, NIHD, NUVA, NXTM, OFIX, ONCY, ORMP, OSIR, PFE, PL, PPLT, QGEN, QTM, SIRI, SLAB, SMA, SNDK, SOFO, SPRT, STX, SYUT, TGI, THOR, UDN, URS, V, VAC, WFC, WMT, XRS, ZINC
Johnson & Johnson's Power Morcellator Recall Could Result In Further Pullback
- Johnson & Johnson recently withdrew three laparoscopic power morcellators due to a risk of spreading cancerous tissue, following FDA's warning in April.
- FDA warned that healthcare providers and patients should carefully consider available alternative treatment options for symptomatic uterine fibroids.
- The negative news could result in further pullback in Johnson & Johnson's stock, offering excellent investing opportunity.
Update: Triumph Group Earnings
- Triumph Group reported first quarter fiscal 2015 earnings, which misses analysts' estimates.
- I anticipated that earnings will miss analysts' estimates.
- This confirms my opinion that Triumph Group is overvalued.
Update: Cepheid Achieved Record Shipment Of GeneXpert Systems In China
- Cepheid recently completed a record quarterly shipment of 774 GeneXpert systems to a single country, which is China.
- This confirms my view that Cepheid has robust growth opportunities in the emerging countries, which are more prone to tuberculosis compared to the developed world.
- In my original analysis I noted that the company's High Burden Developing Country or HBDC program is churning considerable revenues.
Silicon Labs Looks Attractive After 15% Correction
- Shares of Silicon Labs fell almost 15% since the company projected below consensus earnings for the third quarter.
- The company is well-positioned to monetize IoT with its microcontroller, wireless and sensor products gaining traction in the market.
- The stock could have more than 30% upside from the current level over the medium-term.
Buy Intuitive Surgical Amid Negative Sentiment Around The Company
- A recent study questioned the efficacy of Intuitive Surgical’s da Vinci robotic surgery system.
- The company's shares are trading at a significant premium compared to other prominant medical device makers.
- I believe that such premium valuation is absolutely justified because Intuitive has a bright future.
Apple's Bigger iPhones Could Steal Samsung's Market Share; Stock Heading Higher
- Apple is preparing to launch big-screen iPhones with 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch displays.
- The company could steal a substantial part of Samsung’s smartphone market share with bigger iPhones.
- Renewed iPhone demand from China and other emerging markets is expected to drive the stock higher.
Microsoft Heading Toward All-Time High On Strong Cloud Momentum
- Microsoft just announced its FY14 fourth quarter earnings - commercial cloud revenue rose a whopping 147% year-over-year.
- Microsoft and Cisco have entered into a multi-year agreement focusing on modernizing datacenters.
- The agreement is expected to be hugely beneficial for Microsoft's hybrid cloud business.
- There is a strong chance that Microsoft's stock will reach its all-time high near $57 if the market supports.
Does The Launch Of Android Wear Make Google's Valuation Attractive?
- Developer Unit9 Games just released their first game for Google's new Android Wear smartwatches.
- Google's primary goal is to make sure that its search business thrives on Android Wear.
- Google needs new avenues for growing its stagnant search market share, and Android Wear could help the company achieve that.
Johnson & Johnson's Artificial Pancreas May Be Launched Earlier Than Expected
- J&J's diabetes division, Animas, recently launched its latest combo device Animas Vibe in Canada.
- The company didn't disclose exactly when its artificial pancreas would hit the market.
- I believe that J&J's artificial pancreas will be launched much earlier than anticipated.
Johnson & Johnson: Valuation Not Attractive Despite Impressive Strategic Alliance
- Johnson & Johnson has formed a strategic alliance with Tissue Regeneration Systems for developing patient-specific implants.
- TRS is a start-up medical device company aimed at commercializing its technology in skeletal reconstruction and bone regeneration.
- Despite this, Johnson & Johnson is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~10% for the next five years, its valuation isn't attractive enough.
Cepheid Developing A Rapid Diagnostic Test For Multidrug-Resistant Superbugs
- Cepheid is developing a rapid test, known as Xpert Carba-R, for detecting multidrug-resistant pathogens.
- The test has several advantages over existing diagnostic methods.
- The company successfully launched its Xpert HPV molecular diagnostic test in Europe.
Abbott Is Undervalued With Significant Prospects In Vision Care
- Abbott received CE Marking for its implantable Tecnis lenses in Europe.
- WHO says that global annual target for cataract surgeries should be 32 million by 2020.
- The global vision care devices market will reach $46 billion by 2017, representing significant opportunities for Abbott.
UBI To Drive CalAmp's Growth: Correction Offers Excellent Buying Opportunity
- CalAmp’s Wireless DataCom business has tremendous growth prospects in the UBI (Usage-Based Insurance) market.
- UBI will represent more than 100 million policies generating more than $80 billion in premiums by 2020.
- CalAmp is the leading device technology provider for UBI in North America, while Europe offers huge growth opportunities.
- The company's stock may have 100% upside and the recent sell-off provides excellent investing opportunity.
Triumph: Wait For A Correction For Buying With Growth Priced In
- Triumph Group is primarily a commercial aviation play with valuation not so compelling.
- Although the sector has good growth prospects, a significant part of that is already in the price of the stock.
- The company's recently announced share repurchase program might act to the disadvantage of its shareholders.
- The overvalued commercial aviation business coupled with the eroding defense business might lead to stock under-performance.
For Driving Shareholder Value Curtiss-Wright Should Focus On Growth Rather Than Stability
- Curtiss-Wright has realigned its business for driving shareholder value.
- Booming U.S. oil and gas industry presents huge opportunity.
- For capitalizing on it, the company needs to prioritize growth.
Fluidigm: Unique Investing Opportunity In Single-Cell Genomics
- Fluidigm is the only dedicated player in single-cell genomics (SCG), a rapidly evolving market.
- Until now, the company is almost free from competition because no other company offers products covering the full SCG workflow.
- The opportunity could be huge (more than 100%) over the long-term with limited downside risk.
Qiagen: Why I Prefer Waiting On The Sidelines
- Qiagen tries to drive revenue growth by boosting the global adoption of QIAsymphony and QuantiFeron-TB.
- It is highly unlikely that these products would drive shareholder value in terms of earnings and share price growth.
- The company is increasingly taking inorganic route for generating cash, which is worrisome.
- The management needs to understand that there is a fine line between responsibly growing shareholder value and doing whatever is needed for generating cash.
URS Corp.: An Impressive Value Unlocking Proposition
- Several hedge funds are accumulating URS in the anticipation of value unlocking.
- Jana Partners has taken activist position on the company.
- A spin-off may just be in the cards.
Symmetry Medical: Grossly Undervalued Despite Debt Load
- SMA recently launched Bookwalter Femoral Elevator for total hip arthroplasty using direct anterior approach.
- The direct anterior approach for total hip arthroplasty may see growing adoption going forward.
- SMA's business is showing early signs of turnaround from various internal issues.
- The stock could double itself in 2014.
Should You Buy DexCom After The Meteoric Rise?
- DexCom recently received FDA-clearance for its G4 PLATINUM device for pediatric use.
- The device offers a built-in alarm and an alternate sensor wear site on the upper buttocks of children for added flexibility.
- With approximately 70,000 children worldwide expected to develop type 1 diabetes annually, the potential for the device could be huge.
- In the last 12 months the stock more than trebled from the 52-week low of $15.
NuVasive's Innovative Product Launches To Drive Growth, Stock Has Significant Upside
- NuVasive’s three new product launches could significantly boost its market share and revenue.
- The company’s operating margin would expand meaningfully going forward.
- The stock could have ~35% upside from the current level.
Cardiovascular Systems' Orbital Atherectomy Could Be A Game Changer
- FDA approved CSII's Diamondback 360 for calcified coronary arteries, a $1.5 billion market.
- The device has the potential to lift the company from loss.
- The stock could have 80% upside from the current price.
- CircuLite Boosts HeartWare's Fundamentals But What About Profit?
- Exact Sciences' Cologuard: A Game Changer For Colorectal Cancer Screening?
- Alphatec: Growth Prospects Suggest The Stock Could Be Significantly Undervalued
- Globus' Acquisition Of Excelsius Makes It A Compelling Robotics Story
- Cepheid: A Global Growth Story At A Reasonable Price
- Myriad Genetics: Is The Correction An Investing Opportunity
- Luminex: Over-Pessimism Could Be An Opportunity With Upcoming Catalysts
- NxStage Gaining Ground On Growing Adoption Of Home Hemodialysis
- NII Holdings: Risky But Trading In A Deep Value Zone
- Masimo's New Technologies Will Open New Markets, Stock To Inch Higher