Andy Zelenak

View Andy Zelenak's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Ford Puts First Truck Customers Behind Wheel of the All-New F-150 to Kick Off ‘You Test’ Video Series [View article]
    They ought to work on the grammar in this press release.
    Aug 29 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SolarCity: An Analysis Of Retained Value And A Price Comparison Of Its Offerings [View article]
    I imagine this will work the same as your Tesla position. You'll write a few articles, eventually take a short position, maybe cover profitably on a swing. But in the long term, this one's going up. Solar's the next big thing and I wouldn't fight it.
    Aug 19 09:46 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting ReneSola's Investment Thesis [View article]
    So SolarCity is growing like crazy. There are only a few manufacturers who make SCTY-compatible modules. Even fewer who haven't been slammed with massive tariffs. SOL is one of the few. Then we also have the high poly prices... It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

However, the analyst expectations are -$0.15 eps. Basically the 'experts' have just predicted the same earnings as last quarter. Very little actual analysis on their part.
    Aug 9 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SolarCity's Q2 deployments in-line; big growth expected in Q3 [View news story]
    I was just shocked at how good earnings were. I'm bullish of course, but I thought the tariffs would be a damper. And for them to decrease install costs as well was incredible.
    Aug 8 11:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting ReneSola's Investment Thesis [View article]
    Lots of bargains in the solar sector today. SOL, JASO, JKS, and SPWR are all tempting me.
    Aug 1 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting ReneSola's Investment Thesis [View article]
    If we get down to $2.20 I'll buy more.
    Aug 1 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting ReneSola's Investment Thesis [View article]
    Cheers to us, Bravo and Diane. SOL just had a great July... Too bad the rest of the market doesn't know it yet.

I'm predicting a small Q2 profit but strong Q3 guidance. What about you?
    Aug 1 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fresh U.S. solar tariffs imposed on Chinese exporters [View news story]
    $180 would be about 0.8% of the total project cost.
    Jul 27 11:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fresh U.S. solar tariffs imposed on Chinese exporters [View news story]
    SolarCity can still get relatively cheap panels from REC and ReneSola. Plus, keep in mind the cost of the module is just a small fraction of the total cost of a solar project.

A numeric example: say the module cost/Watt goes up 3 cents. On a typical 6kW residential project, that adds $180. Significant but not a deal breaker. SolarCity will probably fare better than the smaller players.
    Jul 27 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An End To Our Relationship With Yahoo, A New Era For Equity Research [View article]
    Sounds like a great idea. Time to write an article about shorting Yahoo ;)
    Jul 25 12:08 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 15 Clean Energy Yield Cos: Where's The Yield? [View article]
    I love your diagonal line graph. Never seen anything like that before.

I've been pondering an investment in a yield co. What's your opinion on the pros and cons of a yield co vs something like a Mosaic investment? If you weren't aware, Mosaic offers community-funded solar projects with up to 7% yield.
    Jul 23 08:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting ReneSola's Investment Thesis [View article]
    Oh, I know. You may be a very rich man soon.

I looked at the US installation numbers from the EIA last night. China might be a circus but solar in the USA is growing nicely.
    Jul 10 10:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting ReneSola's Investment Thesis [View article]
    Well, no amount of reasoning about the future is going to bring this one back. That much has become clear. Was happy to see it bucking the Chinese solar trend for a bit this morning... But then it was back to the depths before the close, as usual. We really need a good earnings release to break free, I think. Nothing else will do.

Question: why do you say 400MW? I thought the tariff-free capacity was 1100MW?
    Jul 10 09:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Renewable Energy Group: Undervalued And Ready To Break Out [View article]
    The natural gas costs in Q1 were abnormally high.
    Jul 4 07:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Evidence Indicates Manipulation Of JA Solar Stock [View article]
    I haven't been a market maker for 25 years so I don't know as much as you, but here are my thoughts:

1. 10k would be the minimum to make the threshold list. If JASO is like SOL, then the average is more like 100k failures per day, or 4% of volume.

2. No, your transaction wouldn't have counted as a failure to deliver because you covered the very next day. As I understand it, there's a 3-day window to settle.

Good insight on the convertible, though.
    Jul 2 09:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment