Andy Zelenak

View Andy Zelenak's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Battle For The Sun (Or Who Will Collect The Rental Income For Solar Energy In The 21st Century?) [View article]
    What an amazing article in terms of scope and insight. This is the first I've heard of NiFe batteries. I hope policy makers pay attention.

You mention that solar continues to shift wealth towards those who provide capital. I've seen this with my own eyes in Hawaii, where rooftop arrays are common in wealthy neighborhoods. In poor neighborhoods, people continue to pay 40 cents/kWh for electricity from the grid. It's sad but I suppose that's the normal path for adoption of new technologies.
    Apr 21 09:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, by far. :(
    Apr 21 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Keystone pipeline decision delayed again, likely until after November elections [View news story]
    Not really. I'm seeing that 30-50% of the fuel sold in Brazil is ethanol.

Apr 20 11:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I've got mixed feelings about this. Anything to help wean us off oil is good news, because there are better alternatives. Natural gas, biodiesel, and electric vehicles are all superior. Look at what Brazil has done with ethanol. We can't copy Brazil because we can't grow much sugarcane, but switchgrass is a possibility.

On the other hand, I would've preferred an honest No from Obama. Dithering only helps bureaucrats and lawyers.
    Apr 19 02:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Plunge For RGS Energy? [View article]
    Kam was orchestrating one heck of a turn-around. Maybe I'm wrong about Hawaii or they see something I don't...
    Apr 15 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trina Warning Foreshadows Solar Gloom [View article]
    Doug said, "That means most of these Chinese companies will suddenly face resurgent new competition from western rivals in Europe once a deal is reached."

The issue with that statement is that Western rivals don't have enough manufacturing capacity to meet demand in Europe and the US. SunPower is tapped out. What other Western rivals are you talking about?
    Apr 14 12:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Plunge For RGS Energy? [View article]
    The nice thing about SunPower is they will sell 100% of their modules. No need to worry about demand. I think we're just waiting for the new fab to come online.
    Apr 11 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Does Seeking Alpha Pay Its Contributors? [View article]
    Well said.
    Apr 10 01:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Does Seeking Alpha Pay Its Contributors? [View article]
    I'll stick around for the community discussion, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile to write articles. If I cared most about cash, I would head over to Motley Fool.

I'm also a little disappointed in the type of articles that earn the most pageviews. Generally it's the most controversial articles - case in point being Tesla Motors. The author's track record generally means little.
    Apr 10 12:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Plunge For RGS Energy? [View article]
    I'm surprised the solar sector is getting hammered so badly. I guess it's the high-flying "momentum" stocks that are really being hit hard. Wall Street still hasn't figured out that solar energy is the future.
    Apr 10 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Plunge For RGS Energy? [View article]
    It looks like there is a $22M solar project in California that got announced this morning. Good news! I don't have any input on your other questions though...
    Apr 10 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The Plunge For RGS Energy? [View article]
    Thanks for the kind words. The legislature on Hawaii is pushing the utility to adopt more solar, and the utility has been pretty flexible. The trouble is, solar can't supply power at night, so there is still a need for reliable fossil fuel generation.

I think the long-term solution is for the utility to offer energy storage, e.g. batteries. That would keep the grid relevant and the utility happy, and it would keep costs down because of the utility's economy of scale.

Here's a link to a Hawaiian bill (still not quite passed) that basically requires the Hawaiian utilities to allow more solar:

"The legislature believes a long-term, sustainable solar energy industry is in the State's interest."
    Apr 10 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SolarCity: Fears Are Overblown And Valuation Is Inexpensive [View article]
    Let me give you an analogy:

In January, Tony Soprano loans you $1mm to be paid back over 10 months. Come February, you pay off $100k. At the end of February, Tony looks over his books and sees that you still owe him $900k, so he sends some thugs over to break your legs. That would hardly be fair, would it? You still had 9 more months to finish paying.

What I'm saying is, you need to be careful when you judge this company on revenue. It's different. Share price/sales isn't a good metric.
    Apr 8 07:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tesla's Gigafactory Becoming A Gigafarce? [View article]
    Well if SA buys it, who am I to argue? But I just realized there's a third potential conflict: renewable energy storage. AXPW and TSLA/SCTY are definitely involved in that.
    Apr 8 10:27 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tesla's Gigafactory Becoming A Gigafarce? [View article]
    Where's the disclosure of your conflicts of interest? SA-certified authors are required to disclose conflicts, no?

In your case there are 2 conflicts -- a large stake in a battery manufacturer that is trying to sell to auto manufacturers, and employment with a company that's developing a hybrid truck. (Tesla supplies batteries for Freightliner hybrids).

A good improvement though. I don't see any misrepresented scientific studies.
    Apr 8 09:53 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment