Andy Zelenak

View Andy Zelenak's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • I Justify My Tesla Purchase With This Analogy [View article]
    Tough crowd tonight. I hope you at least enjoyed the vintage Apple analysis.

In all seriousness, I hope at least a few readers pick up on the most significant point. Few companies telegraph their future plans like Tesla. If Tesla's Gen III succeeds before the competition emerges, Tesla will be the next Apple, and that's why the share price is so high.
    Nov 7 11:17 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: When The Concept Becomes Mainstream [View article]
    Read the i3 reviews before you go too far...
    Nov 15 03:07 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Quest To Make $1 Million In 10 Years [View article]
    Stop investing $500 at a time, though... That's a good way to jack up transaction costs
    Jan 6 11:41 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Justify My Tesla Purchase With This Analogy [View article]
    Precisely. And barring a competitor that we have no inkling of yet... you will look back from 2020 and say, "I should have bought TSLA on November 7, 2013, even though analysts said it was way overvalued."
    Nov 7 11:34 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tesla's Gigafactory Becoming A Gigafarce? [View article]
    Where's the disclosure of your conflicts of interest? SA-certified authors are required to disclose conflicts, no?

In your case there are 2 conflicts -- a large stake in a battery manufacturer that is trying to sell to auto manufacturers, and employment with a company that's developing a hybrid truck. (Tesla supplies batteries for Freightliner hybrids).

A good improvement though. I don't see any misrepresented scientific studies.
    Apr 8 09:53 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Tesla's Gigafactory Becoming A Gigafarce? [View article]
    Well if SA buys it, who am I to argue? But I just realized there's a third potential conflict: renewable energy storage. AXPW and TSLA/SCTY are definitely involved in that.
    Apr 8 10:27 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors Investors Are Ignoring The Facts [View article]
    As always, some people take the news headlines at face value. Others realize that, of tens of thousands of Tesla cars on the road, three accidents and zero injuries is a hell of a safety record. Thanks for covering the other side of the argument.
    Nov 11 09:04 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Tesla: Intrinsic Value Of $36 Per Share, Is The Bubble Now Deflating? [View article]
    Tesla continues on the path to world domination. I took this opportunity to buy.
    Nov 6 09:32 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natcore Controls The Most Important Solar Technology Today [View article]
    3-5% is a huge deal in the solar world. The worst panels on sale right now are ~13% efficient, the best about 24% efficient. So only 11% separates the best from the worst.

But they have other technologies including one that could potentially double solar efficiency, and that would be huge. As in possibly the greatest scientific achievement of the decade.
    Oct 19 07:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's makes the bear case on SolarCity [View news story]
    Energysystems, please do me a favor and read the first 3 paragraphs of this link...

Aug 31 02:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trina Warning Foreshadows Solar Gloom [View article]
    Doug said, "That means most of these Chinese companies will suddenly face resurgent new competition from western rivals in Europe once a deal is reached."

The issue with that statement is that Western rivals don't have enough manufacturing capacity to meet demand in Europe and the US. SunPower is tapped out. What other Western rivals are you talking about?
    Apr 14 12:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Does Seeking Alpha Pay Its Contributors? [View article]
    I'll stick around for the community discussion, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile to write articles. If I cared most about cash, I would head over to Motley Fool.

I'm also a little disappointed in the type of articles that earn the most pageviews. Generally it's the most controversial articles - case in point being Tesla Motors. The author's track record generally means little.
    Apr 10 12:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Renesola: Poised To Become Profitable This Year, Up To 300% Stock Upside In 2014 [View article]
    "Mr. Market, due to his myopic vision, has punished the stock for taking a one-time write-down and for its closing of the polysilicon plant. However, in the eyes of the investor, the closing of the polysilicon plant was actually a smart business decision."

So true.
    Jan 28 03:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solar Manufacturing Capacity Analysis [View article]
    Amouna, good catch on SOL. I own SOL calls b/c it looks like a good value right now. I'll compare against TSL.

Factors in favor of TSL:
    -TSL expects to sell 53% more modules
    -TSL earned $0.14/share in Q3, while SOL lost $0.12/share in Q2
    -TSL had a higher gross margin. (15.2% in Q3, vs 7.3% in Q2 for SOL)

Factors in favor of SOL:
    -less debt ($910M vs $1,100M)

So Trina has a few advantages, but is it worth 2.8X more by market cap? You tell me! We'll know more when SOL's Q3 results are released in 5 days.

I think you're right, SOL is the only in-house polysilicon producer. Apparently that section of their business loses money right now, but I could see it becoming a strength.
    Nov 20 04:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors Investors Are Ignoring The Facts [View article]
    Yes but how many Tesla accidents injure the passengers. I really can't find any on google.

Thought I found one case, but it turns out that google interpreted "Model S" as "model's", so that was a false alarm.
    Nov 11 09:50 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment