Anthony Alfidi

View Anthony Alfidi's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Mast Pharmaceuticals Inc.: Breakthrough Drug MST-188 Could Lead To Huge Gains [View article]
    Subtract the cash on hand from shareholders' equity, and what exactly have they got? There's a reason why it's such a low-priced stock: http://bit.ly/LgR4TF
    Jan 22 12:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mast Therapeutics: A Hidden Gem In An Under-served Market [View article]
    Good luck thinking $44M is enough.
    Jan 18 06:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mast Therapeutics: A Hidden Gem In An Under-served Market [View article]
    Mast Therapeutics continues with MST-188 trials. Their expenses are rising and I still think they need to raise more cash. http://bit.ly/LgR4TF
    Jan 17 03:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Energy Sector Essentials Revealed At AIPAA OGIS In San Francisco 2013 [View article]
    Good work, MLP Trader. I welcome technical specialists among my readers who find obscure data that isn't obvious to me.
    Oct 27 10:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Okay, I'll try to ease up on the terminology. My analysis is based on data and terminology the energy sector throws around. The next time an E&P investor relations rep uses a soil science phrase will be my key to ask what they mean.
    Oct 24 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The original version of this article is on my business blog: http://bit.ly/1c6ZC8o

BTW, when I searched for "NGL derivatives" I was searching for financial instruments that hedge commodity prices. I'm not interested in the chemical compositions of ethane, propane, or butane. My point is that any commodity that is not hedged on a transparent exchange may be subject to privately arranged swaps brokered by investment banks. That is all for now.
    Oct 11 12:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Reading International: There's More Popping Than Just Corn [View article]
    Great details! Cinema owners face serious competition from Netflix et al., so diversifying properties is more important than ever. Reading's unused urban parcels might make good infill developments for condos and apartments, given the accelerating double-dip in stand-alone home prices.
    Mar 30 10:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will DOD Report on Rare Earth Shortages Impact Stocks? [View article]
    alan ljl: Note that I'm not pumping or dumping anything. I have no holdings at all in the stocks mentioned.

yetisoup23: I mentioned REE becuase it illustrates the tendency of investors to grasp at hot themes. And yes, I do think DOD would fail to stockpile rare earths even if a pile of studies identified a problem. I'm intimately familiar with the glacial pace of DOD strategic decision-making. There's no constituency (yet) behind rare earth procurement, which may change once prime contractors examine their supply chains.
    Nov 9 12:27 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Market Plunge and Liquidity in the Start-Up Business [View article]
    A bearish, volatile market is bad for entrepreneurs if angel investors re-weight their portfolios away from riskier assets. Fred's correct that money won't be getting cheaper, so an entrepreneur will pay more to get that SBA loan.
    May 9 12:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cramer's Mad Money - The Moment Was Not Real (5/6/10) [View article]
    Cramer is making a fool out of himself by attributing this wild swing to P&G. Was he lucky enough to put in a "stink bid" for Accenture at $0.01? His white noise distracts us from more likely sources of instability: HFT algorithms run from TBTF banks' trading desks. The folks on those desks must be Cramer's biggest fans.
    May 8 12:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hold Your Nose and Buy BP [View article]
    Good argument for buying a beaten-down company with otherwise healthy earnings. BP will be around for a long time. I wonder how much of their remaining reserves are deep underwater and thus subject to as much risk as this leak. Also, consider whether they've learned something about rejecting more stringent safety restrictions on their rigs. Finally, new offshore drilling legislation is now dead in Congress. Will this affect any territory where BP wants to drill?
    May 4 10:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • "Even the bears aren't bearish enough on Spain," Daryl Jones says. If Spain doesn't fix its many problems - huge debt, 20% jobless, overly-generous welfare payments, real estate and construction crash - it has the potential for a far worse disaster than Greece. "And that potential is still not priced into the market for their sovereign debt."  [View news story]
    In other words, nothing can save the euro. The next domino to fall - Spain or Portugal - will require cash that neither the IMF or the rest of Europe can provide after committing to help Greece.

Hello deutschmark. We didn't think we'd ever see you again.
    May 4 10:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Goldman Sachs (GS) CFO David Viniar unintentionally drew peals of laughter at today's hearing when, questioned about an email that described 'crappy' mortgage assets sold by his firm, he responded, "I think that's very unfortunate to have on email." He quickly amended his statement: "I think it's very unfortunate for anyone to have said that in any form."  [View news story]
    I think it's very unfortunate to have a firm like Goldman Sachs earning billions by selling garbage mortgage assets.
    Apr 27 08:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Small Cap Bubble Is Ready to Burst: Part 1 [View article]
    The rise in small caps wouldn't be so worrisome if hiring were rising in tandem. Smaller businesses typically lead the rest of the economy in the expansion phase of cycles. Unfortunately the hiring just isn't there this time.
    Apr 27 07:58 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Smart money is starting to move into commercial real estate, Principal Financial Group (PFG) CEO Larry Zimpleman says. "There are a lot of new funds being formed by investors who are looking to invest and buy either loan portfolios or buildings. That's giving you a pretty good signal."  [View news story]
    I agree w/ Doc above that it's way too early to consider CRE a bargain. Those new funds are chasing a mini-bubble.
    Apr 27 07:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment