Anthony Breen

View Anthony Breen's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • 5 Reasons Tesla Motors Will Thrive [View article]
    Finally, a well researched and written article about TSLA.

I honestly don't see how any sane person could hold a short position into the next earnings release, most likely the first positive GAAP earnings ever for the company, when the float is 35% short.

What do you think of the Earnings estimate here:
    Mar 21 12:58 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $400: A Look at Apple's Fundamentals (Part II) [View article]
    "But if Apple CLOSES below $180 by Christmas 2010 (4 months), then the bull rally is over." == If the market tanks, the bully rally is over.

Very insightful.

Wait, your comment gets even more insightful:
    "A close below $160--is a rock solid confirmation of a brutal BEAR market for Apple. That should plunge AAPL to $100 by 2012." I hope, that would enable me to buy AAPL for $10 more than cash on hand at the end of 2012. Should have ~ $90/share cash on hand by December 2012.
    Aug 13 11:41 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Credit Card Losses Are the New Bad Mortgages [View article]
    I think I need a post from Cetin to try to cheer me up after that one. What if China says no to us refinancing mortgages at 1%, how many mortgages will be underwater if rates go up to 6-7%?!
    May 11 04:53 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Look Who's Betting on Inflation [View article]
    All this money is being pumped into commodities, but without wage inflation who is going to buy them. From Felix Salmon's article last week on depressing income stats: US median household income $51,295 in 1998, $50,303 in 2008.
    Sep 13 08:16 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • While Steve Jobs has only now resigned as CEO, Joe Wilcox thinks the quality of Apple's (AAPL) products was already on a decline that began around the time of Jobs' Jan. '09 medical leave, as the simplicity that defined Apple's offerings for much of Jobs' reign gave way to growing complexity in platforms such as iTunes, iOS, and Mac OS X.  [View news story]
    The article should be retitled, "I want pageviews."
    Aug 28 05:52 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let's Hurt the American Financial Services Industry [View article]
    The amount of money investment bankers were making, made doctors and lawyers look poor. As a result much of America's top graduates went on to Wall Street instead of to med school, engineering firms, etc. This is finally reversing to norm.
    Apr 13 12:13 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Watch CNBC [View article]
    cnbc gets much of its ad revenue from the big financial advisor and brokerage firms. As a result, they can't put anything on the air that conflicts too sharply with what your broker/financial advisor says, the generic advice. Which unfortunately much of the time leads to selling low, and buying high.
    Mar 13 04:35 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Agenda Behind Apple’s Decision on iPad Flash Support [View article]
    A lot of the Flash development community has moved on to making iPhone apps. As an example check out a Flash dev guy's blog, www.bit-101.com/ - who made the switch and developed 'Falling Balls' - one of the top free games in the App store.

I don't think the Flash dev community minds Flash being left out because they seem to be making more money with the App Store system than they ever did before.
    Feb 22 12:17 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Reasons Not to Buy Apple [View article]
    Points 2, 4, and 5 jump out at my as the most wrong.

#2 - if you think apple's margin on the iphone 3GS is $199-$179 then WOW.

#4 - it's called smartphone growth, people switching from 'dumb' phones like my nokia with the same features as the original minus snake, arguably nokia's best feature ever. Their growth is not from people new to cell phones, that's for the Jitterbug.

#5 - The Ipod does not need growth, just maintaining nearly 100% marketshare will keep the ipod line a cash cow for many years. People buy new iPods every few years.
    Jul 8 12:51 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mac Pricing: Value Is in the Eye of the Buyer [View article]
    I think Mac's share of college students will climb drastically, as it's not $1,119. It's $1,099 with the education discount. Add on top of that the free iPod touch after mail-in rebate, which you can sell to a friend for $200. The price gets to $899! (this is what I plan on doing)

- In addition my macbook that I bought 3 years ago still has resell value, I'm selling it to my sister for $350. Leaving my upgrade price at $549...
    Jun 9 01:01 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Covering My Short Against iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond [View article]
    dieuwer, you're off by an order of magnitude of 100. It's 300 billion, and 3 trillion, so that's 10%, not 0.1%.

I still agree that the FED buying can't have too much of an effect for long. Trader Mark is just afraid that 300 billion might get bumped up on Wednesday, and doesn't want to risk being on the wrong side of the trade.
    Apr 28 08:05 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Ethically Invest in Unethical Companies? [View article]
    Are we ethically obligated to short unethical companies?
    Oct 22 12:46 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Earnings Preview: Another Blow-Out Expected [View article]
    I doubt they'll pre-announce when they are making the change. But I think they won't do it this quarter too, just because I don't think they want AAPL stock being any more volatile than it already will be with the upcoming jan 27th tablet announcement.
    Jan 13 02:51 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Magazine Covers Are Historically Great Contrarian Indicators [View article]
    Hindsight bias? As bleak as those example covers are, at the time how would you know the next month's cover will not be bleaker. I'd like to see a timeline of magazine covers during each of these crashes, bet they get progressively worse as the market gets worse.

Then this great indicator becomes a function of how bleak the magazine covers can get. Just as valuable as how low market prices can get.
    Nov 11 08:37 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sell Put Options (Part II) [View article]
    I got to agree that selling puts is a good way to get paid to get in at a good valuation. You call always roll them up too to get more gains from an upside move. I've been doing this very successfully with AAPL for the last few months.
    Jul 21 05:59 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment