Anthony Grossi

View Anthony Grossi's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Exelon: Power For Your Portfolio [View article]
    executive chairman means he is the head of the board. In other words he has been reduced from an operational executive to a rich guy who gets paid way too much to sit on at board meetings and nod his head approvingly. Kind of like an associate producer in Hollywood, this is a demotion in responsibility without a corresponding demotion in pay.

That's my take anyway
    Feb 25, 2012. 03:35 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exelon: Risk Vs. Reward [View article]
    you compared to DUK and SO, but they are regulated utilities and EXC is unregulated, so not relevant comps. NRG would have been better.

Also you failed to mention interest rates, which are the primary reason why SO et al are at 52 wk highs

I think the merger (EXC/CEG) will be a winning combo in the long haul.

nice presentation and hope your investment thesis works out
    Feb 23, 2012. 06:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exelon: Power For Your Portfolio [View article]
    Correct.
    Feb 21, 2012. 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exelon: Power For Your Portfolio [View article]
    Chris Crane, from EXC, is the new CEO post-merger.

My brief google search was unable to determine the exact role Mr. Shattuck III will play in the new company, but it is very likely he will remain involved with BGE.

I assume you live in the Baltimore area and aren't happy with the 72% increase in electricity prices since deregulation began in 1999. Mayo Shattuck III has also gained public scrutiny for excessive compensation (while running his business into the ground).

Mr. Shattuck had no experience in utilities prior to CEG and is unlikely to be an important part of the company going forward, thus giving him the free time he will need to make another run at becoming commissioner of the NFL.
    Feb 20, 2012. 09:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exelon: Power For Your Portfolio [View article]
    niuecon-

The energy generation numbers are from the merger fact sheet available at both companies websites. Those numbers reflect the output of the combined entity

Feb 20, 2012. 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exelon: Power For Your Portfolio [View article]
    thanks for compliments
    Feb 20, 2012. 10:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Contrarian Idea: Buying Natural Gas When Everyone Hates It [View article]
    there are safer ways to play power markets than directly betting on henry hub prices.

mlp's benefit from low nat gas price, as do chemical companies

IPPs benefit from rising gas prices.

so if you think nat gas will go up it might be better to go long NRG, or EXC and hedge it with a stock like EPD or ASH ?

just depends on what kind of investor you are, I'm pretty conservative.
    Feb 16, 2012. 12:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NRG Will Buck Natural Gas Glut [View article]
    SO is a regulated utility and thus trades in step with interest rates, as it is in essence an income security.

EXC and NRG are primarily Independent Power Producers (IPPs) and trade in step with the spot price for power
    Feb 15, 2012. 11:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Selling My Target Date Funds [View article]
    VT
    BND

instant globally diversified balanced (according to your desires) portfolio that you can add to in small amounts monthly or whenever it suits you. Vanguard keeps threatening to release an international bond index etf, that would make your indexing dreams complete. A truly global index fund from the lowest cost provider as the core of one's savings, augmented by very small allocations to other assets if you feel the need (tips, gold, reits, microcap fund). Total package and you can do it yourself if you're disciplined enough to follow through.

I still think a balanced fund or target date fund makes a lot of sense as the core holding for the overwhelming majority of people. Direct deposit, automatic re-balancing, instant diversification, emotionally detached retirement plan
    Feb 8, 2012. 04:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Selling My Target Date Funds [View article]
    with 10% cash and 18% exposure to europe of course it underperformed the S&P for the very short time range you were invested.

I'm an SA contributor and have held Vanguard STAR fund since highschool, which is the textbook example of an amateurs all in one fund. I continue to own it because balanced funds work and it has an unbeatable expense ratio. Since I don't have access to DFA funds VGSTX is the closest thing to a global index balanced fund I can find.

They also underperform when equities get hot. So what.

If you look at a chart for FFFHX it has almost exactly matched the return of the S&P since inception (2006). I don't understand your argument of dumping a fund and deviating from your retirement plan just because the fund underperformed a benchmark it doesn't even purport to track.

Why target date funds? Its the cheapest easiest way to build a global index portfolio that adjusts its bond exposure for you as you age. If they had existed back when I got started I would have bought one.

Instead of giving up an target date funds why don't you quite Fidelity for Dimension Fund Advisers or Vanguard?
    Feb 6, 2012. 10:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chuck Carnevale: A Mentor And Rare Resource [View instapost]
    I'll join the chorus. I wrote a comment to one of Mr. Carnevale's articles on GuruFocus and in response all I got was a three part article series. Wish I had made his acquaintance earlier.
    Feb 2, 2012. 09:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's In The Works At Dreamworks Animation? [View article]
    variety is the go to source for industry info
    box office mojo also good
    the interesting thing about being an investor in a company like DWA is that its entirely reasonable for a non full time professional analysts to have all the same info. very transparent industry.
    Jan 25, 2012. 10:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A $1 Handle For Natural Gas? [View article]
    I know this is an odd request, but can you post a link to the T Boone Pickens quote, I can't find it online and wanted to reference it for an article. Thanks if anyone helps
    Jan 25, 2012. 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nintendo Seems Doomed In The Face Of Strong Competition [View article]
    Nintendo is in the same predicament as DreamWorks Animation. They are content producers who are slowly losing the ability to demand premium pricing for their content due to the flood of supply in their respective markets. Software alone will not save Nintendo, they need to invent the next "must own" device. Not the sort of event I would gamble on.
    Jan 17, 2012. 11:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Loves Chocolate And You Can Profit [View article]
    Did you read Lawrence Allen's, The Chocolate Fortunes? It's an impressive first hand account of the history of the chocolate wars in China from an ex-Cadbury executive. One of the better books on business strategy to boot
    Jan 17, 2012. 10:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment