Archman Investor

View Archman Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Shopify soars following IPO, obtains $1.9B valuation [View news story]
    T-time:
    Exactly. Deception 101 by the media.
    More importantly: The company is valued at almost $2 billion dollars yet only has yearly revenue of only $105 million.

People never learn. They better start growing revenue at 300% YoY before the market decides it is time for that next bear market.
    May 21, 2015. 12:33 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inter Pipeline: On Track For A 25% Total Return In 2015 [View article]
    Sherpa:
    I watch BNN online. Most American investors who are interested in Canadian stocks & the TSX use the BNN website.
    Just FYI.
    May 20, 2015. 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Shouldn't Put Too Much Weight On Dividends [View article]
    And here is the sales pitch right here:

"Long-term investors should seek diversification-of asset class, geography, industry, maturity, and duration-as well as yield, while considering the most efficient strategy for creating wealth, generating income, and minimizing taxes. Diversification is a cornerstone of Betterment's investing strategy and is one of the most important tenets of successful long-term investing."

The next bear market should take care of these companies like Betterment and Wealthfront. They will be proven to be just an ineffective at preserving wealth like every other Wall St. sales outfit.
    Oh well....next.
    May 20, 2015. 01:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inter Pipeline: On Track For A 25% Total Return In 2015 [View article]
    Thank you Michael for contacting IPL investor's relations.

Clearly the explanation and the mere $15,000 spend on the commercial should put this non issue to rest.
    May 20, 2015. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inter Pipeline: On Track For A 25% Total Return In 2015 [View article]
    "Inter Pipeline advertising to investors ("Hey everyone, come buy our stock today!")"

C'mon guys really? I did not see anywhere in the advertisement where they were soliciting people to "come buy our stock". I mean if i missed it and someone can give me the exact time stamp in the ad I can watch again I would stand corrected.
    The advertisement was informative in nature.

I understand Michael's point: Why waste money on promotion? Put the money in the business. I definitely get it.

I think the issue with this advertisement is getting carried away.
    May 20, 2015. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Shouldn't Put Too Much Weight On Dividends [View article]
    Another "sales" advertisement masquerading as investing advice.

Just like I have been saying for a months now: While I respect SA's move to "pay for play services" week after week more and more SA articles are sales articles written by asset gathering companies or other companies like this one who are really here to convince you to invest with them.

Betterment, like Wealthfront are going to be the bane of many young investors with their supposed "robo" method of investing. I have been making a very conscious attempt to educate younger investors on the dangers of these "fads" that have been rolled out since the market has rebounded in 2009.

I have read articles that many younger millennial investors who are and want to invest do not want to be bothered learning about investing so they are handing their money off to these "robo-advisors" thinking that this is another fool proof way to make money.

The advertising is slick for sure. But I can assure these younger investors one thing: Regardless of the claims made by these services- you are going to lose just as much money in a bear market as the next person regardless of the claims made by these services about how you are better protected.
    The people that created and run these services are not fools. You always start a business like this when the markets are going straight up and based on the amount of money under management, these services nailed it.

But...what can you do? Like most things in life, people have to learn the hard way that there are no shortcuts. Never have been, never will be.

BTW: one more thing. Don't expect Betterment or it's author to comment here. They don't come back and read this. This is an advertisement. Nothing more. If one person happens to sign up at Betterment, mission accomplished. On to the next article (advertisement)
    May 20, 2015. 08:41 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inter Pipeline: On Track For A 25% Total Return In 2015 [View article]
    Michael:

Thanks for the reply. I was not talking about currency difference between CAD & USD. I was strictly commenting on why IPPLF shot up for no reason on 5.18.15 when the TSX was closed and IPL was not trading, then subsequently fell yesterday once IPL was trading again on the TSX.

I was just trying to explain to to Jim the move in IPPLF over the past 2 days. It happens all the time when the TSX is closed but the OTC here in the US is open.

Long IPPLF. Thank you Michael for the continuing articles on IPPLF.
    May 20, 2015. 08:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inter Pipeline: On Track For A 25% Total Return In 2015 [View article]
    Sherpa:
    I mean absolutely no offense but..you have to be kidding right?

Corporations of all types have been doing TV, print, radio advertising for decades now. Of all the things to be annoyed about this is not one of them and you actually sold the shares because of this??

I was just on line at a food establishment and on the TV's there were commercials for I-Watches by Apple, McDonalds, Exxon, etc. etc.

By the way Inter was not promoting their stock. They were promoting the company if you really watch closely.

Corporations advertise all the time. Sorry to see you sell your shares but I don't think this should have been the reason to do so.

Best to you and continued success.
    May 19, 2015. 09:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inter Pipeline: On Track For A 25% Total Return In 2015 [View article]
    Jim:
    The TSX was closed yesterday 5.18.15

So....the OTC market makers had a blast running the price of IPPLF up 5.5% on a day when the common IPL on the TSX was not trading. They do this all the time if one happens to own OTC stocks as I do.

As I figured they then took the price down today and then some based on the additional weakness in energy.

That's all it was Jim. Nothing more.
    May 19, 2015. 09:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • June 15th Is D-Day For YouTube [View article]
    AdBlock is fantastic....even here on SA. For the longest time SA was having major problems loading after years of no problems. Once I installed AdBlock, problems solved.

Does anyone have actual numbers of ads that are clicked on that are eventually turned into sales? I don't necessarily mean YouTube only but in general.

I feel like I have talked to tons and tons of people and they all tell me the same thing:
    Most internet ads are annoying, they have no need for them and when they do click on an ad out of curiosity they never purchase the item or service being offered. Is advertising on the internet really just one big scam where people are really only getting paid for "clicking" on ads and not really purchasing anything?

I don't know enough about the issue and would like to be educated by those who are in the know.

Thanks all.
    May 18, 2015. 04:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Rosenose [View article]
    Nicholas:
    I am enjoying your series thus far so thank you for publishing it.

One of the biggest drawbacks I see here on SA from many people is the way they really limit themselves in terms of criteria for company stock selection. It seems to be that whenever people have stock ideas by the time they go thru their criteria they are always left with stocks that fall somewhere in the range of the top 150 S&P 500 stocks by market cap.

Typically the criteria all fall into the same category:
    BBB+ rating or better (some people will not invest in anything that is not A rated or above)
    15 years of paying rising dividends
    20 years of paying dividends
    Or wasting money on some other paid service like Morningstar or Value Line who in reality know nothing more than the average person, they just have better sales & marketing departments.

Following the criteria above 50 or 60 years ago no one would find anything worthwhile to invest in. I mean I know it may come as a shock to most people but there was a time when JNJ or GE or WMT, etc. were not always rated like they were, didn't always pay rising dividends or maybe did not pay dividends at all. I have no idea if what I said is true it is just an example of how people really limit themselves with these unrealistic criteria. Using backwards looking criteria is not the way to invest for the long term.

Could you imagine if you spotted AAPL in 2000 but just because it did not fit some absurd criteria you passed on it. You end up spending your life buying stocks of companies "after" they gain 1000's of percent because one was waiting for the company to be rated BBB or better or pay a (rising) dividend.

Do I think investors or young investors should be gambling with their money and buying some microcap companies in the hopes of striking it rich? No way. Even when I started investing 20 years ago I would never gamble. (Maybe just a very small portion of the portfolio)

I think investors need to be flexible in their investing and always be looking for companies that are growing revenue year over year (which is first and foremost what someone should be looking at when analyzing a company), paying a dividend and raising it when appropriate, etc. (I also think younger investors should be focusing on companies that are 15 billion and under in market cap as they allows the potential for maximum exponential market cap expansion over their investing lifetime)

BTW my comment is NOT a slight against Rose. Her investing style clearly works for her based on her experience and point in her life. My take for perhaps younger investors. If you are going to limit yourself to well above average criteria, you are essentially going to be invested in what every body else already owns and what Wall St. owns. That is very dangerous to one's financial well being.
    May 18, 2015. 12:25 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ready To Break Into The Market? Get Immediate Exposure With These Closed-Ended Funds [View article]
    I appreciate the authors attempt at educating younger investors.

When it comes to younger investors it is refreshing to see an article that goes beyond the usual recency bias. Where "past performance absolutely guarantees future results"...so just invest your money in KO,PG,JNJ, ABT, etc and you too will be just as rich as grandma is today when she started investing in the aforementioned companies 80 years ago.

However...I do not think closed end funds should be a starting point for a discussion on investing. Personally I think they are to difficult for newbies to understand, the fess are too high and the use of leverage is not discussed enough. I have no problem with using them as "bolt on" portfolio devices which I personally have done in the past.

Younger investors need first and foremost understanding of the markets "work" and the most importantly develop a physiological mindset of investing. Studies have shown over and over that 75% of people who invest, invest on emotion. They sell market bottoms and buy market tops..over and over and over.

Next they need to understand companies, what really matters at quarterly earnings reports and understand that the financial media are their worst enemy.

Lastly and most importantly they need to seek out those investments that are beyond the top 100 S&P stocks by market cap, invest in those companies that pay dividends and reinvest those dividends religiously for decades building up a huge monthly cash flow stream. Make capital appreciation a second priority not a first priority. From there a younger investor can then add other securities like ETN's closed end funds, etc.
    May 18, 2015. 08:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Beat The Market With Sector Rotation [View article]
    Market Map:
    Agreed. The education part must come first.

Best to you.
    May 14, 2015. 10:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Beat The Market With Sector Rotation [View article]
    The problem:

99% of all people, including overpaid asset gatherers, can not time the market even if their lives depended on it. Sector rotation is just another word for market timing. So to the 99%= good luck with that because studies have shown even the so called pros can't do it.

Folks:
    Stick to a maximum 20 securities portfolio (stocks, closed end funds, ETN's) that yield anywhere from 5-10%, reinvest the dividends every month, for as many years as you can. Trust me. You will easily outperform the markets/ asset gatherers over time and you won't be helping the asset gatherers make their Maserati payments or keep their wives (and girlfriends) dripping in diamonds.

Unless you are truly a dedicated, full time trader you are not going to be successful at any one of these so called flavor of the month strategies. I'm sorry, you just won't be so don't kid yourself into thinking you will be.
    May 14, 2015. 09:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    AMD:
    One of the worst investments since 1980.

AMD stock is for speculators only. There is no investment here. With the stock price so low you have a 50/50 shot at making some trading gains should lady luck smile on you.
    May 13, 2015. 05:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment