Archman Investor

View Archman Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Oil: The Biggest Hairiest Guess Out There? [View article]
    Thank you to the author for the article.

Investing in the energy space has gotten a lot more difficult these days. Me personally, I still hold and continue to hold my positions in $PBA & $IPPLF as their long term fixed fee contracts are in place.
    My energy spec. play is $CPG and time will tell how well their hedges play out.
    Jan 26, 2015. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Look Inside The iBillionaire High Dividend Index [View article]
    Excellent!
    I am ecstatic. I looked over the list. I do not own a single one of their investments.

Here is a hint from someone who has been investing about 20 years now: If you have to invest based on a list of what some billionaire owns (at probably much lower prices than you are going to pay) you are better off keeping your money in an index fund, CD or a bank account.
    Jan 26, 2015. 09:33 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric beats by $0.01 [View news story]
    LOL.
    $GE. Every Wall Streeter's favorite Wall Street stock to sell to mom and pop.

The masters of "beat by a penny". EPS is the comical measure of a company's progress. It is the most massaged number out there. I always ask myself: "Who got that penny"?

You would think that in the 21st century investors would look beyond the past and what used to work decades ago. It really amazes me how people turn to the same former bull market winners from 2 decades ago in the hopes that these stocks are what is going to create true long term wealth for them in the future.
    Jan 23, 2015. 10:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Replace Your Paycheck With High-Yielding Growers And Receive Dividends Twice A Month [View article]
    Agreed. I have been at this about 20 years now.

2000-2003 was thankfully side stepped mostly due to some luck and even a knucklehead like me being able to see that $PMCS & $JDSU were not worth 1000x earnings.

2008-2009 was not to bad though again through pure luck sold Bear Stearns a few months before the collapse.
    Jan 22, 2015. 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "when invested, earns an annual return of 7%" (3 times)

As long as "past performance guarantees future results", the example will be just fine.

I think however with the markets at "central bank fueled" nose bleed levels the amount of eventual capital loss is going to be quite interesting to behold for those young folk who have never experienced it before.
    Jan 22, 2015. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil: Slow But Steady, Value Erosion Is Underway [View article]
    Buyandhold:
    I agree with you, but as they say:

"Past performance does not guarantee future results"
    Jan 21, 2015. 02:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Rebalancing, CEFL February Dividend Will Bring Yield To 18.8% [View article]
    Deepvalue:

Agree for the most part. I would not classify these ETN's as scams. Clearly they rely on the health of the underlying institution for their survival. That is certainly an issue I would watch closely should another 2008 scenario unfold. Though to be honest with you I do not expect any bank of significant importance to be allowed to fail in this world we live in.

I have positions in both CEFL & MORL.

They are in my portfolio serving a current specific purpose. I do not consider them long term investments. They are investments that need to be managed & monitored on a monthly, weekly and if necessary daily basis.

To me they are purely income generators.
    Jan 19, 2015. 08:13 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Reasons Why Every Serious Investor Should Read Barrons [View article]
    smurf:

I didn't think my comment was conspiracy theory. The majority of people associated with Wall Street were not hired because the really know anything. They are hired because they know how to sell. Being right for them is irrelevant. They get paid plenty whether they make mom & pop some cash or they lose it all for them. Their Maserati payments are still gonna be made.

Most experts are just people making a guess. Pure and simple.

Yes Barron's sell subscriptions. Very true. I am not implying that Barron's is related to the salesmanship that is Wall Street.

Not sure what you mean about $IPPLF. Explain. Thanks.

I don't put much value behind Morningstar, Value Line, etc. There is enough information out there in today's world that no one should have to pay someone else to compile it.

Value Line was relevant in the days before the internet, before one could go directly to a company's website and read every bit of information one needed to know before making an investment.

Like Barron's, Morningstar, Value Line only thrive by selling. I know they do serve a purpose for the investor who does not want to be bothered to do the research necessary to invest in a company. Understood.
    Jan 18, 2015. 07:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Reasons Why Every Serious Investor Should Read Barrons [View article]
    I used to read Barron's. I have nothing personal against the paper. Stopped reading about 3 years ago. The paper essentially is a re-hash year after year like most money related magazines (Money, Kiplingers) and newspapers.

They all feature the same items:

* So called "experts" who are nothing more than extremely overpaid salespeople trying to rook mom and pop investor into a stock these salespeople either need to buy or need to unload to the dumb money.

* Recommended stocks are typically the same top 100 US stocks by market cap over and over and over. It still boggles my mind why people would pay for advice that is the same over and over, masquerading as some sort of innovative investment research. LOL.

I have read them all and in my opinion you can find the same information online for free.
    Jan 18, 2015. 05:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Makes The Case For Active Management [View article]
    I believe in active management as well:

I actively manage my own retirement portfolio and I would never let someone else do it nor would I follow the advice of the Wall Street salespeople.

Pretty much sums it up.
    Jan 14, 2015. 05:00 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Pembina Pipeline A Company Still Worthy Of Being In Your Portfolio? [View article]
    "As a long-term holder with a low cost basis, I have sold all my shares on the dividend cut. The chart is horrid, oil is sector is very bad, and this stock will suffer regardless of it's merits. Looking to move most of my positions to cash that are red on the year, not a good omen, if it's not working YTD, it will probably only get worse."

So sorry you had to sell, considering you have a low cost basis.

BTW:

*There is no dividend cut.
    *$PBA does not trade on oil prices, since most of their revenue is from fixed fee contracts.
    *Selling of the stock happens anyway. It is human psychology and emotion. $PBA always sells off on oil dropping. Always has always will.
    *Long investors have always done well in this company.
    Jan 14, 2015. 08:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed's Lockhart: Economy "hitting on all cylinders" [View news story]
    ""Fed's Lockhart: Economy "hitting on all cylinders""

And yet.... They absolutely refuse to use the words "Economic Expansion".

6 years since the recession ended they still use the word recovery. Why? Because they know there is no economic expansion beyond those of us who own most of the assets and wealth and the levels of debt on every level. Public and private. The rest is all smoke and mirrors for most American families and individuals.

They are completely full of it and they know since 85% of all Americans are beyond dumbed down now they can keep playing their word games.

There are no rate hikes coming. If anything, if the economy slips more or deflation really gets going you are going to see a resumption of QE here in the US.
    Jan 12, 2015. 03:21 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo pulls the plug on mortgage REITs [View news story]
    My MReit exposure is through MORL. Collecting the big monthly's and more importantly "managing" the position. You have no choice when you include these 2x leveraged ETN's in the portfolio.
    Jan 12, 2015. 12:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo pulls the plug on mortgage REITs [View news story]
    Wells Fargo= Irrelevant.

Sounds like they were sitting around, bored, looking for a call to make.

Investors: Use your own judgement, make your own decisions. Ignore the so called "experts".
    Jan 12, 2015. 10:42 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Video: The Impact Of Higher Rates On REITs And MLPs [View article]
    If there is one thing I can't stand is "staged" question & answer sessions with the true goal of getting investors to send their hard earned investment dollars to the company who's name appears on the coffee cups.

Here is some free advice from me (no coffee cup to be seen and I don't want anyone's money):

Rates are going nowhere fast and if they do move up it will take years to get back to more normalized rates of 4%. They will never get their however because by that time we will be in recession again and rates will have to come down again.

Don't be fooled that the US is in some sort of new golden age. The powers that be don't even have the courage to use the words "Economic expansion" 6 years since the so called recession ended. Why? Because there is none. Just an expansion of debt on all levels to keep the party going.

The US could never hope to afford even their interest payments on the debt if rates were to move up to far.

Ignore the media & sales videos like this. They know nothing. They get paid millions whether they are right or wrong.
    Jan 8, 2015. 10:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment