Archman Investor

View Archman Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Shareholder Yield: Are The Companies You're Invested In Investing In You? [View article]
    James:

"Buybacks increase the book value of a stock and earnings are spread over less shares, thereby increasing EPS."

Exactly.
    Thanks for proving my point. Buybacks "are" a gimmick to increase book value and EPS. Companies use this gimmick more and more to hide the real health of their business. Of the companies I own none have buyback programs (or at best minimal programs in place) nor waste shareholder money on them.

I will say it again. Ask yourselves how many times, say CSCO etc split over the past 3 decades creating billions upon billions of shares. Now ask how much money they waste buying back the very same shares they created out of thin air from those years. Waste of $$ just to inflate EPS. Think of all the money they could be returning directly to shareholders.
    Mar 19 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Buybacks are most of the time nothing but "show pieces" for news readers.

As yourself: Why the hell do the biggest companies waste so much money buying back the same shares that they decided to split over and over again over the past decades? Couple that with the fact most buybacks are diluted by heavy insider stock options grants/ shares.....

Most buybacks create no long term value and at worst are used as an attempt to prop up share prices and inflate EPS.
    Mar 19 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have owned PBA since 2003. (first on Toronto exchange, then on Pink sheets, now on NYSE)
    The company has paid and continues to pay an awesome dividend besides the great capital appreciation over the past decade.

I will let others look up the returns since I first bought the shares.

We can all cherry pick any metric we want to say that a company doesn't do this or doesn't do that for shareholders. Some do have merit especially with regard to those companies that may have serious underlying problems.

No offense to the author: Most of those companies that the author has in his top ten are an absolute joke with many have massive negative returns over decade long periods save for a couple of companies on the list. Some of these are tiny microcap companies.

So what is the moral based on that top ten list:

Meaningless metrics as demonstrated by those awful stock recommendations on that top ten list.
    Mar 19 11:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Finding a few quality growth stocks at reasonable prices [View news story]
    If there is on thing you can count on from all investment houses:
    Recommendations that essential include only the top 50 stocks by market cap over and over and over again.

Buy from inventory, sell to inventory.

Amazing what passes as innovative research.
    Mar 19 09:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Finding a few quality growth stocks at reasonable prices [View news story]
    KO, CL, HD, SBUX.

Wow. UBS really did some innovative research to come up with that list.
    Mar 19 09:05 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peyto Exploration: Set To Soar On Higher Production, Gas Prices, And Profit Margin Expansion [View article]
    Michael:
    I agree with all you state.

Best to you.
    Mar 19 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    anarchist:
    Since I am not a trader I only reinvest my dividends once per month. So I only make one trade per month at Scottrade for $7.00

Clearly if you are doing a decent amount of trading you have to consider costs.

Best to you.
    Mar 19 07:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Michael:
    I replied to Anarchist above. Please see that comment.

I have had ZERO trouble with my ROTH Ira at Scottrade. None.
    When IPPLF recently became available to US residents for purchase I bought the stock.
    I did not even have to call Scottrade. The dividends started appearing in my brokerage account the following month. No 15% foreign tax withheld. No hassles. No phone calls. No problem.
    (BTW.. I don't work for them..LOL)

I have owned Canadian companies for over a decade now, first as Income trusts on the Toronto Exchange then on the Pink sheets and now some like PBA on the NYSE. I am something of an authority on the Canadian/ US tax treaty as it applies to these dividends.

I want to be clear to anyone else who reads this: There should be ZERO issues with Canadian Foreign tax with holding when shares of Canadian Corps are held in a qualified US retirement account (Traditional or Roth IRA). If you are not receiving 100% of the dividends you are due (less the currency conversion) then you are 100% being ripped off by your broker and / or their clearing house.

Again I use Scottrade and have had ZERO issues with regard to this matter.

Michael all the best to you and as a follower I truly enjoy your articles!!
    Mar 18 09:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Anarchist.
    My brokerage is Scottrade. I have used them for years. I never had to instruct them as to what to do with Canadian dividends. They (and whomever they use as a clearing house) know that since my brokerage account is a Roth IRA and that this is considered a qualified account based on the US/ Canada tax treaty, I would never have 15% tax withheld from shares of the Canadian Corps I own.

If your wealth is in a qualified US retirement account and you own Canadian Corporations in that account-
    I am going to be 100% honest with you:

Fire your broker first thing tomorrow morning. Get your money the hell out of there!

You are being ripped off. Your broker is being lazy and just cannot be bothered. There are zero privacy issues. None. He is 100% lying to you.

Again I want to be 100% honest and clear with you: You are being ripped off. I receive plenty of $$ per month in dividends, and much of that money is not from US corps but from Canadian Corps held in my Roth IRA. Zero foreign tax withheld.

Please get your money out of that brokerage.

Again best to you!!
    Mar 18 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You have to hold all Canadian "Corporations" in either a Traditional IRA or Roth IRA to avoid having the 15% tax withheld. (In other words a "qualified" retirement account here in the US)

Canadian REITS & any remaining income trusts that might still exist, still have the 15% withheld regardless if they are in a Traditional or Roth IRA.

Best to you.
    Mar 18 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    PBA IPPLF PKIUF PEYUF

Buy them.

Lock them away.

Receive on average %15+ annualized returns going forward, while the US mega caps return 5% or less annualized.

Best to all.
    Mar 18 01:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cramer's Lightning Round - China Is No Problem For General Electric Long Term (3/14/14) [View article]
    "Pembina Pipeline (PBA): "This is a good situation. It is very steady. I can't countenance selling that."

LOL. Cramer.
    Too funny. Translation: He knows nothing about PBA. All he knows is the same top 30 stocks that everybody already knows or all the latest momo plays.

Comical.
    Mar 16 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Stress Free Portfolio Project: Introduction [View article]
    Seems like a lot of work to essentially replicate what are going to be returns equivalent to an S&P 500 fund. (Would of course love to see ten years from now a comparison chart)

You could have saved yourself a lot of time, and costs by just buying a Vanguard S&P 500 ETF.

With stocks at all time highs and well about their long term trend line of value, you will absolutely have an opportunity to really double down once the market enters another bear market. That is when you really want to strike. At that point maybe even add a 2X S&P 500 ETF to really juice those returns after the next bear market.
    Mar 15 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rich And Retired? Please Buy Dividend Stocks [View article]
    Good article.
    Thanks to the author.

I only know my situation, so I will just tell it and hopefully it will inspire anyone who wants to create some wealth and then have money to retire.

Me when I was 32 years old:

Little net worth.
    Income only from a job.
    $8000K in credit card debt.
    Knew almost nothing about investing other than what I had seen in the 1987 movie "Wall Street".

Me now, almost 50 years old.

I took the time and I learned about investing.
    I only own securities that pay a dividend.
    I will not own any securities unless they pay a dividend.
    I receive a few thousand dollars per month in re-investable dividend income.
    I re-invest that money monthly because I do not need it.
    I still work and will continue to do so for at least 10 more years.
    When I do retire I will receive min. $10K per month in dividend income.
    I will never, ever, have to touch the principal.
    It will all be tax free as it is in a Roth Ira.

None of this includes any other forms of retirement income as well, which will be coming to me. (Icing on the cake)

That my friends is wealth and even more: security when you need it most in life.

What do 85% of all Americans have for retirement (Per US Census Bureau & Economic Policy Institute)?? : Social Security Income....period.

Lesson over and I wish all of you the best in your quest for retirement security and income.
    Mar 13 09:31 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Growing Threat To Canada's Oil Sands Boom [View article]
    "Pipeline capacity is especially problematic. While production capacity climbs toward the 6.7 million-barrels/day, or bpd, forecast, Canada's existing pipeline network can handle only 3.6 million bpd throughput."

That is why I own PBA & IPPLF.

Those stocks are a must buy on any pullback and market corrections / crashes.
    Long term story here. Own PBA for a decade already and IPPLF now that it is a corporation and US citizens can own it now.
    Mar 12 07:37 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment