Ariel Krakowski

View Ariel Krakowski's Comments BY TICKER:
  • More Wireless Choice May Affect The Big Cellular Carriers [View article]
    You get a point for a creative insult.

I agree it's somewhat speculative, but Google already started providing high-speed internet and they provide wifi in mountain view. Google has also partnered with other companies to sponsor their wifi, so there are various ways they could expand that. Dish networks looks like they'll start providing wireless services, so even if they don't do it with Google, it will make a difference for the other carriers.

As for the phone, it is already being sold by Google (you can get one here: http://bit.ly/WXVFh2 )
    Nov 27, 2012. 09:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Fiber And The Future Of The Internet [View article]
    Google developed many new ways to lower costs on rolling out fiber-optic networks, which is why it took some time. This article discusses some of the economics of it: http://bit.ly/OrK443
    Either way, it's not going to have a large impact on their bottom line.

As I discuss in my article, I don't think Google is planning on becoming a national ISP like Comcast or Verizon. They're doing this to help their web services.
    Jul 27, 2012. 03:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google And The Future Of Search [View article]
    This article focused on competitive threats as opposed to other factors. While its true that the current revenue per search is lower on mobile, I think that is a gap that Google will be able to reduce. Mobile also offers many new opportunities for local transactions, so the overall growth of mobile usage has not harmed Google and seems unlikely to do so. Voice does not seem like such an immediate threat since most people will still be comparing options in text before they buy something.
    Jul 11, 2012. 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Vs. Google, Part II: Can Docs Beat Office? [View article]
    This article was mainly focuses on the consumer side of the business, both for its revenue itself and its potential to eventually influence the business side. I think that Google Docs has a bit of an advantage over Web Apps, and that they potentially will be able to increase that advantage. This may cause harm to Microsoft Office in the long-term.
    Jun 11, 2012. 11:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Vs. Facebook: Google Wins [View article]
    Interesting article.
    I don't know if it's so much more "creepy" to see ads on Facebook than on Google. In either case, the advertiser knows nothing until you click on the link. If you click on the link, they know you are interested in their product, so does it make such a difference whether it was targeted at your search or your status? Perhaps a few people will care, but it doesn't seem to be such a general problem.

While I agree that the price for Facebook seems high, its possible that Facebook will be able to build off their social base to expand into other areas. I discuss a possible way here: http://bit.ly/KnjiYh. Another way they're expanding is the just-launched app center: http://bit.ly/IDuVrY
    May 9, 2012. 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Vs. Google: The Future Of Windows [View article]
    I don't think it is accurate to say all of Google's free offerings have been bad. For example, Gmail and Chrome have been very successful. And Microsoft has never made a profit from Bing, so they're not doing any better than Google.
    May 8, 2012. 07:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Vs. Google: The Future Of Windows [View article]
    I think there is a definite possibility of people not liking the changes in Windows 8, and then they may look at alternative operating systems. However if it does succeed, it may help Windows on mobile, though so far Windows has not been of much help to Windows Phone.
    May 7, 2012. 07:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Vs. Google: The Future Of Windows [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. I meant that Office is not as dominant as it is on Windows. According to Microsoft in 2009, Office has a 77% market share on the Mac, much less than their share on Windows: http://bit.ly/ISY7tm

I wasn't focused on Apple, but you raise an interesting issue about who Apple investors should be rooting for. I think any harm to Windows will happen gradually though, so I don't think it will also harm Apple.
    May 7, 2012. 07:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Vs. Google: The Future Of Windows [View article]
    Thanks for your opinion. As I mention in the article, Chrome OS is not currently much of a threat but it seems likely that will change as it improves. This is because many people do not need all the complexities and security issues that Windows has. Once Chrome OS has more offline capabilities, more people will consider it.

Bing actually has a reasonable market share, and Google has to always remain vigilant to prevent them from growing more.
    May 7, 2012. 07:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Vs. Google: The Future Of Windows [View article]

May 7, 2012. 05:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google's Chrome Strategy [View article]
    In short, it makes sense that Google's main purpose for Chrome was so they would not be beholden to another vendor between them and the user. They currently pay Firefox hundreds of millions to be the default search, and they're always afraid of what Microsoft will do in IE.

However, I think their stated reason to encourage web innovation is also true and that's why they still support Firefox.
    May 1, 2012. 03:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Potential In Facebook's Recent Return To Roots [View article]
    Thanks for your comment.

Ebay has not been able to gain a strong foothold in classifieds, except in certain areas. They may not want to cannibalize from their main website, since classifieds do not normally charge fees.

It seems unlikely the newspapers will be able to do much with their classifieds sections, they're not that relevant in the internet age.

Yes, Oodle powers many different websites, but the strongest thing going for them is that they power the Facebook marketplace.
    Apr 19, 2012. 11:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment