Arnbjorn Ingimundarson, CFA

View Arnbjorn Ingimundarson, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple: Fighting The Battle That Can't Be Won [View article]
    The author is hardly an Apple basher. The currency issue is highly relevant and has not received much press. I've seen a number of companies taking hits after earnings recently because the EUR/USD effect was stronger than people expected.

I am a long-term Apple bull, but I agree that the currency issue could be a short-term problem.
    Mar 11, 2015. 05:19 PM | 45 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple launches very thin/light 12" retina MacBook [View news story]
    Apple TV price cut most likely signals a new Apple TV in the pipeline.
    Mar 9, 2015. 04:02 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Many People Really Care About Google Services? [View article]
    Same story here. I've been moving slowly away from gmail and Google's services over to Apple's offerings. I'd rather be the customer than the product.
    Dec 7, 2014. 06:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Swatch CEO says he's unfazed by Apple Watch [View news story]
    Swatch Group does have a lot of brands apart from Swatch. To name a few: Calvin Klein watches, Tissot, Longines, Omega, and Breguet.

They are a giant in the business and play everywhere, from the most basic watches to super high-end. For their CEO to think that Apple Watch, and smartwatches in general, is not a major threat makes one think they have no response to this obvious problem.
    Nov 28, 2014. 08:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin Makes Apple Pay Obsolete From Day 1 [View article]
    When you say: "But looking at the bigger picture reveals that bitcoin will ultimately prevail." Do you mean that bitcoin will prevail over the dollar?

As long as people are paying in dollars, bitcoin should not affect the success of Apple Pay.

I suspect that the U.S. government will not so easily allow cryptocurrencies, which it has no control over, eclipse the USD.
    Oct 20, 2014. 11:09 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Why I Raised My Stake By 14% Yesterday [View article]
    The article shows a tweet where QTR mentions buying calls. Even if it is the minis, it couldn't be less than 10 shares. If you are going to give someone a public slap, you should at least get your facts right.

Speaking of public slaps, I was glad to see Rocco Pendola get one in this article. He is one of the biggest charlatans I have seen in the financial writing business.
    Jun 3, 2014. 09:54 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Lost Money On Foreign Investments? Mergers And Acquisitions Start To Make More Sense [View article]
    It depends on your perspective. It is less volatility in USD, but a lot of Apple shareholders are not U.S. based.
    May 19, 2014. 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora Reminds Us Why Shorting It Is A Great Idea [View article]
    The time for a victory lap has come. Well done.
    Apr 25, 2014. 10:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Quest For Yield [View article]
    It all depends on how it is done. See this research for how selling puts has done compared to just being long stocks:

Similar returns with lower risk. If you get crushed in down markets, you get crushed even worse by just owning stocks - assuming you are exposed to the same number of shares.

What makes me uncomfortable with HVPW is that it writes puts on very risky stocks.
    Mar 19, 2014. 12:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora -3.6%; audience metrics show slower listener hour growth [View news story]
    QTR - You argued your case better than Rocco did, and I agree that Pandora is seriously overvalued. However, score is kept with dollars and cents and P is up almost 40% YTD, even with today's drop. It is not time for a victory lap quite yet.
    Mar 6, 2014. 10:20 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Declining Advantage Is Undeniable [View article]
    @Michael Blair: When I got my first iPhone in 2008, I suspected that BlackBerry was in a world of trouble, even if at that time it was still being priced for a lot of growth. Apple has a lot more elements in place to defend their place in the tech world for the long term.

The way I see it, Apple is a fantastic company with a lot of competitive threats as well as a lot of opportunities. In my opinion it would be reasonable for the company to trade at a similar multiple as the overall market, after adjusting for its unusually strong balance sheet. Apple will not be king of the hill forever, but its decline is not on the horizon yet. My view from last July is unchanged:
    Jan 26, 2014. 06:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Declining Advantage Is Undeniable [View article]
    @Michael Blair: $240 per share, with a share count of 909 million shares, values the entire company at $218 billion. If you deduct cash and marketable securities of $146 billion (I did say ex-cash), you are left with $72 billion, which is less than last two years' earnings. These numbers will look even sillier in a few days after Q1 numbers are released.

I am interested in seeing a negative as well as a positive perspective of any company, but a person suggesting that Apple might only be worth $240 per share only tells me that person does not know the company very well.
    Jan 24, 2014. 10:31 AM | 29 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Declining Advantage Is Undeniable [View article]
    The ROIC approach to valuation shown in the last paragraph is strange. My suggestion to the author is to use a more conventional valuation approach as a reality check for the $240/share number. It implies an ex-cash P/E of approximately 2. Does anyone think that is reasonable?
    Jan 24, 2014. 09:18 AM | 21 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Momentum Continues To Build For Apple [View article]
    What is the market that grew 45%? Smartphones? I would rather look at Apple's market share as a % of the entire cell phone market, where Apple has never had a large market share. Apple never played in the low end. A lot of low end phones were previously called feature phones, but are now called smartphones, which is a vague concept.

This is a matter of semantics which shouldn't determine whether AAPL is a good investment. Tim Cook has the better idea, which is to focus on customer satisfaction, usage and loyalty. By these measures, Apple is doing well, which bodes well for future growth.
    Oct 29, 2013. 10:22 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commvault: Putting The Sell-Side On Notice [View article]
    I shorted a bunch of CVLT calls because of this article. Thanks Akram's Razor. I agree with your Divergent Disaster thesis. Any current favorites to short?
    Oct 29, 2013. 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment