Arnold Frisch

View Arnold Frisch's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Microsoft's Outlook Missed: Upside More Likely In FY 2016 [View article]
    @Alex Cho
    "Admittedly, sales declined sequentially going into the holiday season as the device mix shifted to lower ASP (average selling price) devices. So basically, Apple and Lumia did the total opposite. Apple boosted shipments on higher ASPs whereas Microsoft boosted shipments on lower ASPs."

You understand, of course, that increasing the ASP and boosting shipments is an unsustainable strategy!
    Jan 29, 2015. 08:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple roundup: Cook's pay, board change, Apple Watch, Verizon [View news story]
    I know people who will be recharging their battery three times a day. This has to be a sick joke! Otherwise, I think Cook should return his bonus.
    Jan 22, 2015. 07:39 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A 'Sustained Mojo' Choice [View article]
    @Praveen Chawla
    " Given that the Wintel monopoly is rapidly eroding there is a risk that your outlook may be too rosy."

If Intel can produce SSD's with reasonable margins they could capture a big part of the PC market and thus increase their parts content by nearly a factor of 2 - rendering your observation much too negative.
    Jan 19, 2015. 07:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Ditching Intel Processors Would Be Disastrous [View article]
    @gpalermo64
    "Consumers today are not brand loyal to Intel if they were you would see more mobile phone devices powered by Intel."

Tell that to AMD!
    Jan 18, 2015. 11:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Ditching Intel Processors Would Be Disastrous [View article]
    @hyxos
    "Too bad for Intel, who is looking more and more like a dinosaur now the further we get away from the Monopoly they used to enjoy with Microsoft."

And whose processors are actually running the web applications?

Surprise!

It's Intel. And they make much higher margins on those processors than the processors in PC's and Mac's.
    Jan 16, 2015. 08:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Ditching Intel Processors Would Be Disastrous [View article]
    Kuo is working under an alias. He is really Ku Ku.
    Jan 14, 2015. 06:18 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Three senior AMD execs depart [View news story]
    I just finished reading an interview with Byrne. He was emphasizing the PC opportunity. Bad move!
    Jan 12, 2015. 07:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Poll: Only 5.4% of U.S. iPhone owners "very likely" to buy Apple Watch [View news story]
    @Yesterdays_news
    "Really? I would rather wear the watch than carry a 6 or 6 plus with no large pocket for them. "

Really? Then I guess you are not going to buy an iWatch, because a lot of the wonderful things it's supposed to do rely on your carrying an iPhone5 or 6.
    Jan 12, 2015. 12:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I have an iPhone6 and a Tag Heuer watch and an Omron blood pressure gauge.
    I don't need an iWatch.
    I don't want to charge the battery every night, I change my watch battery about once every 4 years.
    I don't want to take my watch off my wrist when i take a shower or when I am in the pool.
    I don't want to carry my iPhone when I am exercising at the gym in order to make my iWatch useful.
    I don't want to .......

In other words, I don't want to buy an iWatch and I won't.
    Jan 6, 2015. 07:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Even With Apple Watch Delayed, I'm Raising My AAPL Price Target To $165 [View article]
    Follow-on to the self quotation below:
    "Apple has had a long string of winners. But remember the Newton. Every Apple product doesn't have to be a winner, and it's likely that this one is going to break the string. Remember where you read this!"

The latest scientifically executed survey shows that only 5.4% of iPhone owners are "likely" or "very likely" to purchase Apple watches.

Major advisers and advisory services are now publicly stating that they believe that the iWatch will likely be a disappointment for Apple.

Of course the bulls will all poo poo these FACT's.

I think that this growing agreement with my earlier prediction will become even stronger with time.
    Jan 4, 2015. 02:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Solar's Inconvenient Truth [View article]
    @Peter Schwartz

I am sort of AGHAST!

Here you are, writing an article about how much trouble FSLR will have because of all the toxic materials they have to take care of, and you overstate the problem by 3 orders of magnitude!

So I explain the error and you sweep it under the rug!

Do you think that, maybe, you should back off from your thesis?

Maybe, in reality, there really isn't really a problem at all?

I guess it might be too difficult to step up to the plate.
    Dec 17, 2014. 10:19 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch: The Hidden Advantages [View article]
    @community care pharmacy

I wear a Tag Heuer and I shower with it on my wrist every morning. I wouldn't consider buying any watch unless I could do that.
    Dec 17, 2014. 06:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • First Solar's Inconvenient Truth [View article]
    "As of 2012, First Solar has manufactured 100 million modules for its 6.5 GW of installations. Global PV capacity approached 100 GW. Extrapolations from First Solar module volumes indicate global volume modules at the end of 2012 exceeded 1.5 billion, for an installed capacity of approximately 100 GW."

@Peter Schwartz
    "Using your estimate of 1 pound of CdTe for 50 modules we get 100,000,000/50=2,000,000 pounds of CdTe that need to be recycled, not the "potential exposure to one million tons of Cd" which is a quantity that you inflated by a factor of more than 1000. (The cadmium is in chemical compound which is 50% tellurium.)

In fact, the major recycling problem is not the CdTe, which has real value since the there is so little Tellurium in the earth's crust. the real problem is everything else in the modules which makes up the vast majority of its bulk.
    Dec 17, 2014. 12:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is This The Reason European Central Banks Repatriating Their Gold? [View article]
    All who are so certain the Russians/Separatists are not responsible for the shoot-down need to explain why the separatists prevented access to the crash area until after they had sanitized it.
    Dec 15, 2014. 06:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @apberusdisvet
    " The US State Department, Nato and the Pentagon are so pathetically (and pathologically) trying to ruin Russia/Putin, that they will do anything to hide the true facts of the shoot down."
    The US doesn't have to do anything to discredit Putin. He is doing a fine job of this, all by himself!
    Your thesis would be rejected by most of the Russian Capitalists and has already been rejected by ALL of the Russian economists.
    Dec 14, 2014. 09:57 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment