Arthur Yellin

View Arthur Yellin's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Notable earnings after Tuesday’s close [View news story]
    I do NOT understand this "article." Can someone tell me if the "author" is predicting notable earnings tomorrow? IF SO, does he or she have a CRYSTAL BALL? Mine is out of commission ... last report was cloudy with snow!
    Feb 24, 2014. 07:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Dover Downs Have Valuation Upside To $8 Per Share? We Think So [View article]
    This is very old news. Why publish it now? A waste of my time!
    Jan 30, 2014. 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco After Earnings: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly [View article]
    I don't understand how/why you can be so bullish about a security and NOT have a long position. Unless, or course, you have no money to invest for whatever reason.
    May 16, 2013. 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Free Dividend Investing [View article]
    While I think we ought to leave politics for other forums, Maryland DID elect Bob Ehrlich, a Republican, as governor not too far back! I dislike paying taxes as much as anyone, but I realize that if I want to live in a decent place, with good schools, well maintained roads, firefighters, police, parks and libraries, I must pay taxes to cover them.
    Mar 12, 2013. 03:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Free Dividend Investing [View article]
    Some of the funds invest a bit outside the state. SOMETIMES, those investments are not fully tax free. In looking at the NMY portfolio, I noticed a bond from Puerto Rico. It appears to be fully tax exempt for now. IF Puerto Rico votes for independence, that could change. WHY NMY included this investment is beyond me. I would need to ask the fund manager.
    Mar 10, 2013. 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Free Dividend Investing [View article]
    Great suggestion. Will do. BUT, I am leery of over leveraged investments.
    Mar 10, 2013. 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tax Free Dividend Investing [View article]
    Can I explain? NO. I also cannot explain why a stock drops in price on a day they report earnings that are excellent and above expectations. Ask a "survivalist" what they stockpile. Ask if they hoard canned/dried foods or gold bars.
    Mar 10, 2013. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acquisitions To Increase Shareholder Value For Cisco [View article]
    Can one of you knowlegable folk kindly explain to this naive investor why the share price of CSCO DROPPED the day good earnings were reported? I've seen this phenomenon before with other stocks in my portfolio and do NOT understand the psychology.
    Feb 19, 2013. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: Boring Dead Weights Or Solid Long-Term Investments? [View article]
    I did this a number of years ago when I added ETP to my IRA portfolio. Current dividend/yield is 7.8%
    Feb 7, 2013. 08:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: Boring Dead Weights Or Solid Long-Term Investments? [View article]
    I felt bad that I provided only a rough estimate of the appreciation of the utility stocks. 7-10% annual average seemed low to my intuition. I dug through old records and found that I had added $1,000 to my ED inheritance at the end of March 1994. ED charged a $1.19 commission to invest this money for me into the DRP, making an actual investment of $998.81. I ran two sets of calculations incorporating the AVERAGE dividend rate paid over 18.75 years and the assumption that all dividends would be reinvested (as I wrote previously, that was only true for a few years). It is a LONG TIME since I did math like this, so my results are somewhat questionable, but in the right ball park.

Using my own calculations in which I separated price appreciation from dividend reinvestment and compounding, I found that my initial investment of $998.81 had grown to $2628.17. An annualized average increase of 14.03%

I also used a dividend reinvestment calculator that I found on line, based on the same assumptions and figures that I had derived from historical quotes. This formula resulted in an annualized average increase in value of 10.27%.

I suspect that my own calculations are closer to the truth. Either way, my findings confirm those of others who have commented on my article. While you must still be careful in selecting the utility companies, since some do not produce well at all for investors, if you find the right one(s), they will provide you with a solid foundation for your LONG TERM investment goals!
    Feb 6, 2013. 11:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: Boring Dead Weights Or Solid Long-Term Investments? [View article]
    One follow-up comment about DRPs. IF you are buying a stock with the thought of holding it for 20-30 years and reinvesting dividends you can allow the company (or their agent) to hold your shares INSTEAD of holding them in a brokerage account, this allows you to invest additional funds up to some yearly maximum, with either NO commission or minimal commission. I recently did this with my D stock. The other up side is that the stock is "out of sight and out of mind." You are not likely to think of trading it. The downside is limited liquidity. IF you NEED the money, you can tell the company to sell, but it will be at THEIR convenience within X number of days of your request and you will not be able to set the sell point. BEFORE you do this, check to see if there are administrative fees. You do NOT want to pay them! If you keep the shares in your brokerage account, you can buy or sell shares anytime you want and set your buy and sell points as the market fluctuates. BUT, you will pay commissions coming and going! On the positive side, at least MY broker, Schwab, charges NO fees at all for dividend reinvestment. I do NOT know about other brokerage firms.

As for the idea of many less expensive shares versus fewer more expensive shares: I SAID it was a wild theory based on instinct and nothing else! I could possibly own ONE share of Berkshire Hathaway A shares, but have nothing else in my portfolio! That would not be FUN to watch, even if highly profitable long term and I love Warren Buffet!
    Feb 5, 2013. 12:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities: Boring Dead Weights Or Solid Long-Term Investments? [View article]
    First, thank you for the compliments. When you are young and can "easily" replace losses, you CAN take some chances. BUT, do NOT do what I did! DO NOT fall for "Fax SPAM," as it was 20 years ago. Penny stocks can sound VERY attractive. A very few MIGHT actually make you rich (few wanted to invest in Dr. Land's idea = The Polaroid camera). MOST will flush your money down a toilet. For short term investing, look for companies with which you are personally at least a little familiar. Check their analyses done by qualified people (I am NOT at all expert). Are they making a profit or losing BIG dollars every year? Pick companies in the $4-10/share range (I have a wild theory that you can make more money by owning more shares of a less expensive company than fewer shares of a more expensive company. My theory in NOT based on anything other than intuition, but it has worked well for me). Set a sell point when you buy and stick to it unless conditions have dramatically changed. REMEMBER the wisdom of my now retired Dentist: NEVER look back, if you made a profit, you cannot complain even if the stock kept going up." For long term investing, look for large, solid, companies that pay at least 3.5% in annual dividends (preferably more) and reinvest through Dividend Reinvestment Programs (DRPs) or through your broker. You pay NO commission, although the per share price you pay will be "averaged: in some strange way that may not be the lowest price of the day purchased! Try to pick companies that are in markets that have a steady demand. E.g. LARGE drug companies, utilities, communications companies. Over the duration of your career, the compounding effect of the dividend reinvestment is AWESOME and will serve you well. You can also do this through mutual funds. Mutual funds have certain benefits, but you are also paying someone else to "manage" your money!
    Feb 4, 2013. 09:08 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When To Buy And Sell Dividend Growth Stocks [View article]
    If I understand the author correctly, I disagree with a basic premise. He wrote that since the price of the stock has risen, "While his total dividend remains the same, his current yield has fallen from 5% down to 4.16%." The way I view the situation, the yield has remained the SAME, i.e. 5%, since it is based on the original amount invested as related to the amount dividend paid per share and NOT on the current price of the shares. The yield is lower for NEW shares added at the higher price. Disregarding DRPs and future purchases, the yield realized on your investment is the dividend AMOUNT per share paid as a percentage of the amount you invested and has no relationship to the current price per share.
    Feb 3, 2013. 12:03 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Bakken, But Everything Else - Chesapeake Energy Is Set Up To Succeed [View article]
    In MY opinion, CHK is despicable and TRAITOROUS to the USA. I have no problem with them selling products or services to other countries, but I have a significant problem with them selling American mineral RIGHTS, as they have at least tried to do.

If the company is so strong and solid, why did it plunge more than 50% and STAY there for more than four years?
    Jan 22, 2013. 03:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment