Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Sub-$100 Nexus Phone Can Kill The BlackBerry Z3 [View article]
    BlackBerry is done for.
    Apr 19 03:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel And TSMC: The Unwinnable Struggle [View article]
    I don't think Samsung skipped 20nm; they advertised it at their Analyst Day. I think their yields are just terrible and that they're making smoke and mirrors promises that they can't really keep.

TSMC is, in my view, the big guns of the foundry business. It has more money to invest in this than Samsung does (since Samsung's foundry revenues are <$4b), and frankly there's a reason just about every fabless player uses TSMC.

re: AMD, they said on their conference call that 28nm was the node of 2014, and that they're actively designing 20nm now so that's 2015/1H 2016. I could see AMD moving to FinFETs during 2H 2016 if they're aggressive, but the R&D budget cuts and its fairly low presence in markets that need the leading edge leaves me skeptical.

At any rate, Intel's claims of a 2yr process lead at this point seem unrealistic and their claims that they're "extending" the lead also seem to be a bit farfetched. But time will ultimately tell. I do know that I am significantly less bullish on Intel today than I was a year ago...Intel's mobile group executes quite poorly.
    Apr 19 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel And TSMC: The Unwinnable Struggle [View article]
    iliadav,

While I don't know about that (it's looking like TSMC is doing very well at closing the gap with 16FF/16FF+ coming next year), I do think that it is extremely naive to underestimate TSMC, especially when it is being backed by QCOM, AAPL, and others (BRCM is peanuts in mobile, IMO).

Intel still has a lead and with the right products can begin to leverage it, but the time really is running out. They blew it at 32nm, blew it at 22nm, and now get their final shot at 14nm before TSMC and the fabless brigade (i.e. Qualcomm and Apple) simply catch up on process leaving Intel without that process advantage card to play.

Otellini & co. really screwed up and the extent of this failure is becoming clearer each and every day.
    Apr 19 09:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel And TSMC: The Unwinnable Struggle [View article]
    LOL!

TSMC hitting multi-year highs, utilization is high, 20nm ramp is on-tap for 2H 2014 and the company beat & raised at its recent earnings report.

Must be great to be "winning" this "unwinnable" struggle, eh? ;-)
    Apr 19 01:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD +6% AH on Q1 beat, Q2 guidance, GPU strength [View news story]
    Computing solutions down 12% y/y. Talk about major share loss...
    Apr 17 08:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Thursday Will Likely Center Around PCs For AMD [View article]
    Andreas

Mighty words from somebody who is apparently lamenting being down $1,500 on AMD ;-)
    Apr 16 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Should You Sell? [View article]
    "Just because it costs more to make, sells for less money, and doesn't go as fast doesn't mean its bad. There has to be a million products out there that meet that criteria. It all depends on what margins you can make money with. So in this respect these rants by ta152h are absurd. The Kaveri processors perform just fine and are available, and they will sell. Combine it with an AMD chipset motherboard and your likely to get a whole lot more VALUE in a lot of scenarios, which still matters."

Do you enjoy investing in companies that make money, or do you invest in companies because they managed to build a competent CPU that works?
    Apr 16 03:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel +2.9% AH on strong margin forecast, in-line revenue guidance [View news story]
    Nope. Not yet.
    Apr 15 11:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Should You Sell? [View article]
    "Sometimes your articles are readable, sometimes it is something crossing all good manners."

Thanks for your opinion ;-)
    Apr 15 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thursday Will Likely Center Around PCs For AMD [View article]
    "AMD somehow needs to overcome INTC "incentives" to OEMs and get them to build comparable systems using AMD chips. Maybe AAPL will lead the way in this regard and get the ball rolling."

What "incentives"? You mean a stronger brand and better products? ;-)
    Apr 15 06:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thursday Will Likely Center Around PCs For AMD [View article]
    Justin is my favorite author on AMD. He's a bull, but his views are realistic and very helpful. There are a lot of articles that really do smell like paid AMD propaganda, but Justin's have never felt like this.
    Apr 15 03:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Should You Sell? [View article]
    No worries. I don't have a very favorable long-term view on AMD, but I think the opportunity to short for big gains is well past.
    Apr 15 02:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Should You Sell? [View article]
    No. Just because I don't buy into the AMD uber-bull story doesn't mean I'm short. That being said, nothing wrong with being short stocks in general, but I wouldn't short AMD here.

If Intel beats and AMD runs up in sympathy, I would consider shorting as I don't think AMD will benefit from the same forces that will help Intel (i.e. corporate refresh - AMD's share within corporate is negligible and consumer is still weak).
    Apr 15 01:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Should You Sell? [View article]
    ta152h

Another 'like' from me. Thanks for the intellectual honesty here.
    Apr 15 01:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Micro Devices - Should You Sell? [View article]
    "I am long AMD, around 1 hour daily investing into AMD research. Your article did not help me to reveal anything valuable, only confirmed my opinion, that 80% of contributors here with word "research" in their names have nothing common with serious research."

If it is pro-AMD, you love it and if it's anti-AMD, you think it's worthless.

Confirmation bias to the extreme ;-)
    Apr 15 01:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment