Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • It's Time To Marry Intel And Dump Qualcomm [View article]
    Bruce

"Personally I think Intel will make money in phones when we get to super smart phones . . . when more processing power is needed."

It's ironic because smartphones are already very fast, legitimate computing devices and Intel isn't in a single one worth mentioning (unless, of course, that Dailytech rumor that Intel will be in a variant of the Lenovo Vibe X2 is true).

I do look forward to what BK has to say with respect to phone goals. I've suggested in the past that Intel might do a "50-100 million smartphone" campaign similar to the tablet one, but who knows?

Sep 15 10:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Marry Intel And Dump Qualcomm [View article]
    thomas.tintin

Given the loss, I'd expect the opposite. Right now, Intel is spending a lot on R&D for next generation mobile products. Why would they quit before the pipeline of products that they've sunk all of this money into (and can continue to do so) emerges?

Sep 15 04:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Marry Intel And Dump Qualcomm [View article]
    thomas.tintin

Doubt it.

Sep 15 04:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Marry Intel And Dump Qualcomm [View article]
    thomas.tintin,

Intel will have an LTE version of SoFIA.

Sep 15 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Earns Green Light To Double [View article]
    Bruce

"Privately, an Intel employee told me that other foundries are not even close to Intel at the 22 nm level - Intel is true 22 and the others are wannabes."

From studying the specifications of the various processes, I would say TSMC 20nm is denser, but Intel 22nm is faster by virtue of the implementation of FinFETs.

22nm was also here first, so time-to-market edge goes to Intel as well.

Sep 15 02:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Earns Green Light To Double [View article]
    platonicbomb,

While I can't take credit for this idea, AnandTech would frequently point out that there is usually a difference between "layout" transistor counts and "schematic" transistor counts.

The idea, as I understand it, is that when designers "design" a chip, they plop down a certain number of transistors. However, when the guys who actually implement it actually do so (called "physical design" or "layout"), they might end up using more transistors in the "real-world" implementation than the original schematic did.

Intel has traditionally advertised "schematic" and not "layout", which is why its transistor density may look "lower" than advertised. Apple may be, as was suggested to me by an engineer, talking up layout.

Sep 15 11:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Marry Intel And Dump Qualcomm [View article]
    Upfront disclosure: I am long INTC and have no position in QCOM.

With that in mind, I caution against making the mistake of underestimating Qualcomm. In terms of cellular/mobile IP development, esp. in "non-core" related IP such as imaging, modem, and so on, Qualcomm has no peers in the merchant chip space (though Apple is a different beast entirely).

Perhaps one day Intel's smartphone chips will actually be competitive, but do note that not a single one of Intel's smartphone chips this year won a smartphone design. They were relegated to tablets.

Anyway, the point that I'm trying to make is that while I do so very much like Intel long-term, I remain very cautious on its place in the world of smartphones. In tablets, sure, I think Intel will more-or-less dominate this category as they are remarkably similar to PCs, but phones -- where the volume is, and where the $$ to be made from chip content is -- remains squarely Qualcomm's domain.

Sep 15 12:16 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Earns Green Light To Double [View article]
    Another observation to add to the P/E argument...

A "high" P/E ratio is usually awarded to stocks that people anticipate will grow earnings materially (i.e. the common phrase is "grow into their multiple").

And, as Bruce24 rightly notes, keep an eye out for one-time charges and exclude them :-)

Sep 14 09:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Earns Green Light To Double [View article]
    The love that I'm getting here is truly heart-warming. Thanks, everyone!

Sep 14 05:30 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Earns Green Light To Double [View article]
    Bruce,

While I more-or-less agree that Intel's earnings power could be ~$4.00/share (read here: http://bit.ly/15RQcIo), I wouldn't dare assign a 25x multiple near "peak earnings" so to speak.

I also think that quite a lot has to go very right in mobile-land to get to that kind of earnings power -- something that more conservative investors should be careful on.

Also be very careful in assuming "device sales doubling" could "double revenue." Many of the incremental opportunities that Intel can go for have a per-chip revenue far lower than those from the core PC and server businesses.

That said, Intel's business has a lot of very "easy" operating leverage built in (i.e. make mobile break-even), so I expect earnings to grow faster than revenue.

At any rate, nice article.

Sep 14 09:41 AM | 25 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iPhone 6 Market Impacts [View article]
    TechResearch

Amen. Apple's silicon team continues to amaze time and again.

Sep 10 03:38 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon obtains $2B credit facility; Indian ops reportedly probed [View news story]
    Why not just issue more stock?
    Sep 7 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Be Ready For A Massive Crash [View article]
    obieephyhm,

Perhaps, but when a stock nearly triples from when you claimed it would crash, it's hard to have the audacity to think that you were "right."

I like calling a spade a spade, and in this case, I was wrong.

Regards,
    Sep 7 01:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Be Ready For A Massive Crash [View article]
    Agreed. I got this one pretty wrong.
    Sep 7 01:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Upstaged By Samsung... Until Next Week [View article]
    Hi Mark,

Do you have a source on Exynos 5433 being an ARMv8 design? I have seen only shoddy looking leaks, but nothing official.

Thanks.