Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • More on IBM: EPS guidance maintained, Asia-Pac sales nosedive [View news story]
    omg...no.
    Oct 16 08:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Examining The Alpha Of Alpha-Rich Ideas [View article]
    They're articles that subscribers get first. It's funny that you care so little that you posted on this thread.
    Oct 16 07:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Making Steady Progress In Tablets But Smartphone Progress Seems A Distant Hope [View article]
    >>Intel progress in smartphones still seems a long way off owing to the absence of a compelling LTE solution. Intel has LTE plans and whether these will pay off and produce a product competitive with Qualcomm is an open question.

Merrifield (22nm apps processor + LTE) ships at the end of the year for device launches at the beginning of 2014. LTE-Advanced modem + apps processor platform ships in 1H 2014.
    Oct 16 04:26 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ARM Makes Life Even Tougher For Imagination [View article]
    I probably did, but I covered a long, long time ago.
    Oct 16 02:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: My Thoughts On Its Earnings [View article]
    @ Rob

That is likely true, but at the same time, I have a very specific set of things that I am looking for. If by the end of 2014 I don't see those things, I will exit my position in the company. What am I looking for? The following:

1. Meaningful share gain in tablets (there is no excuse for this to not happen in 2014)
    2. The beginnings of material share gains in phones (with a competent LTE modem and apps processor, Intel should be able to win some reasonably important sockets)
    3. An *acceleration* of growth in the datacenter; as cloud/networking/storage begin to dominate the server mix (traditional enterprise is slow), I want to see not only massive growth, but I need to be sure that Intel won't lose material share to the likes of Qualcomm, Samsung, AMD, and so on.
    4. Return to growth in PC. I still believe that the high end (i.e. Core) is okay, but it's the very low end (Pentium/Celeron) that has been hampered by big, bulky, and plainly crappy designs. Bay Trail-M (i.e. an ARM-power class chip in a laptop form factor) should make these designs more attractive, and it could drive demand for secondary devices and tertiary devices.

By the end of 2014, it will be clear whether Intel has a long-term future in these markets. I think that if they can actually show that they do, Intel will see significant appreciation, and at the same time the downside risk looks pretty muted.

But there is opportunity cost in locking up the capital, and I will not wait forever.
    Oct 16 12:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: My Thoughts On Its Earnings [View article]
    Oh, Rudester, I'm sure we'll find something to have a friendly argument over at some point in the future! :-)
    Oct 16 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Veeva Systems soars following IPO [View news story]
    What the...?
    Oct 16 11:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: My Thoughts On Its Earnings [View article]
    You're welcome. Always trying to provide the highest quality content.
    Oct 16 10:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: My Thoughts On Its Earnings [View article]
    Could you explain why you feel that way?
    Oct 16 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: My Thoughts On Its Earnings [View article]
    >>Now Intels CEO confirms just about 50

50 tablets, 140 low cost PCs with Bay Trail-M.
    Oct 16 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: My Thoughts On Its Earnings [View article]
    @ tuliptown,

Thanks for the kind remarks. Where do you see R&D being pulled way back?
    Oct 16 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: My Thoughts On Its Earnings [View article]
    I'm not selling them.
    Oct 16 09:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Intel Still Win Apple's Chip Business? [View article]
    Thanks, Dennis!
    Oct 16 12:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Intel Still Win Apple's Chip Business? [View article]
    >> P1273 is scheduled to be in production a year later

No. 14nm Atom will be available in Q4 2014.
    Oct 15 11:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Misinformation Concerning Verizon-Advanced Micro Devices Server Deal Clarified [View article]
    >>I still think the Temash will win in tablets, but as I pointed out a number of times, I think there's a problem with it, because we're not seeing many in the wild. I pointed this out as a concern many times.

Yeah, lack of deep low power states, competitive performance in active states, and a lack of customer design wins outside of bulky convertibles. Temash is available, just not in any designs worth mentioning.

>>Another lie of yours is, I said Haswell was a poor improvement, but was still markedly superior to Piledriver. I always set it sucked in relative terms, mainly as an 'improvement', but was still a superior processor.

This nuance is very rarely articulated on your end, as you frequently start your posts with "Haswell sucks." Not, "Haswell wasn't as big an improvement in absolute performance as expected.". Haswell's power management/battery life improvements alone make it a fairly large step up in the markets that it's gunning for.

>>In fact Bay Trail is a poor performer, and can only match the Kabini when it's boosting to 2.4 GHz, while Kabini is stuck at 1.5 GHz.

Z3770 scored 1.47 in Cinebench without drawing more than 2.5W. How much does Kabini score at that 2.5W level? Remember, performance/watt is what matters NOT performance/clock.

>> I'd be more concerned you misled so many people, and many may lose money because they trusted you.

Did I *ever* recommend shorting AMD? Or has my stance always been, "this is a trade, but don't fall in love with the story"?
    Oct 15 06:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment