Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel: Bay Trail Systems Selling Out [View article]
    @ Cube Monkey

The Toshiba Encore didn't impress me. The Venue 8 Pro and Miix 2 are much better. Also, stay away from the Acer W4 - it's not great either.

Problem with 10" tablets for me is that they really do seem meant to be convertibles...
    Oct 26 02:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Bay Trail Systems Selling Out [View article]
    Cube Monkey,

If you want to nudge her into a pure tablet, have you considered a smaller tablet, like the 8" Venue 8 Pro or Lenovo Miix 2?
    Oct 26 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Didn't Microsoft Use Intel In The Surface 2? [View article]
    >>Interesting, but how many consumers have you chatted with that discuss CPUs and GPUs?

Consumers might not know that they care, but I care about which designs the silicon vendors win.
    Oct 26 01:51 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Problem With Intel Is Intel... And Microsoft [View article]
    Doubt it. Qualcomm has Windows Phone locked up. Doubt Intel will power Windows Phone anytime soon.
    Oct 26 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Bay Trail Systems Selling Out [View article]
    Haha!
    Oct 26 12:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Bay Trail Systems Selling Out [View article]
    Thanks, Cube!
    Oct 26 12:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Memo To Intel: Apple A7 Chip Is No Gimmick [View article]
    "he main reason Apple moved on from the PPC, was the fact that I.B.M. didn't see the value of laptop or mobile cpu chips, Motorola was also in that club they also made PPC chips so Intel isn't alone when it comes to missing. Intel still has time to get back in but not having a OS is going to kill them."

DanoX you are well and truly full of it. Motorola Semiconductor (now Freescale) designed the PowerPC chip, NOT IBM.
    Oct 26 12:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD And The HSA Foundation Are Unleashing The Power Of The GPU [View article]
    392334: The problem with your explanation is that you completely forgo the notion that most general purpose traces aren't so conducive to parallelization. This is why modern CPUs don't just load up on the execution units and have at it - there's a lot more to high single threaded performance than raw theoretical GFLOPs.
    Oct 25 09:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD And The HSA Foundation Are Unleashing The Power Of The GPU [View article]
    wow&wow,

I have a degree in pure mathematics, and I wasn't asking the question for edification.
    Oct 25 09:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Changing My Stance On Microsoft To Sell [View article]
    Vickg,

Apologies if my response was a bit abrasive. I did some further digging into this issue and I actually have an explanation that probably fits. I've written it up in an article that should be published soon. I look forward to your comments on it, whether we agree or not :-)
    Oct 25 08:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Memo To Intel: Apple A7 Chip Is No Gimmick [View article]
    "It's far more likely they will keep pushing the limits of what the iPad can do to increasingly encroach on the traditional PC market. Even the name "iPad Air" suggests they are positioning it as an alternative to the MacBook Air and the possibility of an iPad Pro."

Bingo.
    Oct 25 07:53 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Problem With Intel Is Intel... And Microsoft [View article]
    @ Justin

Yup...Apple is great at what it does.
    Oct 25 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Server Strategy Could Actually Work [View article]
    I don't put everything into three stocks, but even so, definitions of "poor" vary.
    Oct 25 04:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's 64 Bit Weapon [View article]
    "- to get OEMs to switch chip vendors they have to ofer a 30-50% advantage in price/performance/energy consumption, INTC and NVDA both face tough challenges in this regard"

More unsubstantiated, poorly researched claims from you, SVI. Have you seen the performance/power numbers of Intel's latest "Bay Trail" SoC, or do you just like to talk in a pseudo-authoritative manner from your rear end?

"At its Silvermont disclosure, Intel promised performance better than any other ARM based core in the market today. Looking at our Android results, Intel appears to have delivered on that claim. Whether we’re talking about Cortex A15 in NVIDIA’s Shield or Qualcomm’s Krait 400, Silvermont is quicker. It seems safe to say that Intel will have the fastest CPU performance out of any Android tablet platform once Bay Trail ships later this year."
    Oct 25 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Changing My Stance On Microsoft To Sell [View article]
    @ Vickg

You apparently have failed to do your due diligence, because it is obvious to everybody who follows this space that Microsoft could easily have put a Bay Trail in the Surface RT chassis, gotten better CPU performance, and had as good/better battery life.
    Oct 25 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment