Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Blowing The Whistle On Advanced Micro Devices Hyperbole [View article]
    Vinay,

Sorry you feel that way.
    Sep 2, 2013. 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Where's Haswell? [View article]
    jortego128,

I agree - I don't think Intel's Bay Trail will have the graphics lead, but I do think that it will be much closer than these numbers would suggest. I'm waiting for numbers on a performance/watt adjusted basis on the GPU side of things :-)
    Sep 2, 2013. 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Be Ready For A Massive Crash [View article]
    I'm independent - perhaps you missed that part of the profile description?

If you want to attack a thesis of mine, then wonderful - I'm always up for a good, respectful debate. If you want to make it personal, then I'll just ignore you.
    Sep 2, 2013. 03:11 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LeapFrog Enterprises: A Conservative Guide, Or Aggressive Sell-Side Estimates? [View article]
    gsterling,

Thank you for the insight - much appreciated.
    Sep 2, 2013. 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD: Digitimes' Rumor Not Relevant To Investors [View article]
    raghunathan78,

There is far more to a chip's density than the metal gate pitch, although in routing-limited designs it's the overriding factor. Contacted gate pitch is usually a good measurement of logic density, and SRAM cell size is also helpful. Intel's contacted gate pitch @ 22nm is 90nm (80nm with special processing) while TSMC's 28nm contacted gate pitch comes in at 118nm, so anybody claiming that Intel's 22nm = TSMC's 28nm even in terms of density is being disingenuous.

If you doubt that Intel's 22nm was a "full shrink", then I suggest you do a quick die-size comparison of Ivy Bridge against Sandy Bridge - the scaling is near perfect. (IVB comes in at 160mm^2 for 1.4B transistors, while SNB comes in at 216mm^2 for 995M transistors).
    Sep 2, 2013. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Be Ready For A Massive Crash [View article]
    Alex,

I thought that you left SA for good to write for TMF. Why are you back here?
    Sep 2, 2013. 10:10 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Where's Haswell? [View article]
    "I dont quite follow, as these slides have been made public. "

Yes, they were leaked publicly, but I would still prefer not to run an article on them until the embargo is lifted.

Now, re: the 3D Mark scores, I can tell you that the S800 and T4 did not achieve those scores in commercial tablet/smartphone settings, and in fact S800 usually gets 13-16.5K (check the 3D Mark database). I can also tell you that the Z3770 is likely to be much more competitive here than you are suggesting, particularly when you look at it from a performance/watt perspective.

I can't really say more than this, but I do expect to be pleasantly surprised come launch (which the leaks suggest is in just over a week).
    Sep 2, 2013. 10:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be Fooled By Nuvilex's Rally... Stay Out [View article]
    Nicholas,

The promoters will try to terrorize you into thinking that you will be sued for your article. Do not fall for it. You did good work.
    Sep 1, 2013. 10:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD: Digitimes' Rumor Not Relevant To Investors [View article]
    ""Staring into your rear mirror view mirror, will not help you see the road ahead.....and may lead to a horrible accident" -Ken Luskin"

Quoting yourself, eh?
    Sep 1, 2013. 10:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Where's Haswell? [View article]
    "Ashraf, have you seen the new "official" Bay Trail/Atom Z3770 performance slides comparing the Z3770 to Clover Trail, Tegra 3, 4,and Snapdragon S6 and 800? "

Yes, and I am under embargo, which is why I have not published anything about them.
    Sep 1, 2013. 10:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Where's Haswell? [View article]
    badass1,

Yep, I'm losing credibility. That means you shouldn't read anything else that I write or comment on it. I mean, you clearly don't, since you aren't even commenting on the content of this article and are instead responding to a several-week old article (that I still stand by).
    Sep 1, 2013. 10:06 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Where's Haswell? [View article]
    No, not yet. When 8.1 is released, I will update my Ultrabook with it. Keeping Windows 7 on my desktop, though.
    Sep 1, 2013. 10:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With Worst Case Scenario Nearly Priced In, Ambarella Has 34% Upside Potential [View article]
    Thanks, robvelez87. Appreciate the kind words, and hope you continue to find my work useful.
    Sep 1, 2013. 08:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Where's Haswell? [View article]
    I've never personally experienced that, but I don't doubt that many laptop designs out there have really funky quirks!
    Sep 1, 2013. 08:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Where's Haswell? [View article]
    That's likely to be the case.
    Sep 1, 2013. 08:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment