Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Questions I Would Like To See Answered Regarding Bay Trail At IDF [View article]
    @ Justin - excellent post :-)

"Or is the eMMC controller on chip?"

eMMC controller is on-die for Bay Trail.

". I believe that's why the Acer clover trail tab storage was pretty meh. They got the power consumption benefits of using SSDs vs mechanical storage, but created a bottleneck by using a chip eMMC controller."

I'm not sure what you mean - nearly every mainstream tablet today (iPad, Galaxy, etc.) uses an eMMC interface. SATA is only reserved for the Surface Pro type stuff that uses a full PC I/O enabled chip shoe-horned behind the glass.

The Acer CT tablet was crap for...so many reasons. First off, CT isn't exactly a wonder chip (decent, but not leadership CPU, and complete garbage for GPU, also low memory bandwidth). Second, the device itself was bulky, and third the screen was absolute trash.

If the Windows guys want to compete with Apple, they need to go for very slim/sleek mechanical designs. Now, they're more expensive to pull off, and for $329 with the overhead incurred by picking up a Windows 8 license it's doubly tough...which is why Microsoft needs to lower Windows 8 license fees to near zero if it wants its ecosystem to work on smaller tabs.

The Windows OEM that can pull off a Nexus 7 mark 2 quality tablet with a Bay Trail will win big. My bet is that if anybody steps up to the plate, it'll be Lenovo.
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jomamaiscool,

Absolutely. Also, AMD's Temash/Kabini do not support connected standby, nor do they have the sophistication on the power management side (i.e. really deep C-States) that Intel and the ARM vendors do.
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Justin,

BYT-T communicates with flash memory via eMMC. I don't think any BYT-T parts will be paired with hard disk drives ;-)
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Jomamaiscool,

Remember that the Baytrail-M/D SKUs include a lot more stuff (PCIe, SATA, etc.) that is NOT included in the Baytrail-T. So that adds non-trivial amounts of power and something Justin did not mention in the article :-)
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    All of your questions will be publicly answered/revealed at launch. Just be patient - it's only a few days away.
    Sep 7, 2013. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: So You Want Some Growth, Huh? [View article]
    I am.
    Sep 7, 2013. 12:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With Worst Case Scenario Nearly Priced In, Ambarella Has 34% Upside Potential [View article]
    You got it, Piptief. Glad you found this article useful :-)
    Sep 6, 2013. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Looks like this was a good call :-)
    Sep 6, 2013. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Next Era Of Computing Favors AMD [View article]
    14nm products ARE coming in 2014.
    Sep 4, 2013. 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Intel's Profits Could Skyrocket [View article]
    old indie,

"Bingo. The big question. Who will buy Intel's expensive mobile chips?Only vendors standing up to Apple and Samsung are Asian clone companies who only sell on price."

Who says Intel's chips are expensive?
    Sep 4, 2013. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Plandaí­ Biotechnology: Avoid This Green Tea Fantasy [View article]
    I've got to say, Alan, I wish I had your measured tone when talking about these...erm...s**ms.

Good work.
    Sep 3, 2013. 11:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rumors Are Over, But The Story's Not: Vodafone Has 20%+ Upside [View instapost]
    Excellent article, Samir.
    Sep 3, 2013. 09:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Next Era Of Computing Favors AMD [View article]
    @Justin

Bob wasn't a process guy - he was a (hotshot) CPU architect ;-)
    Sep 3, 2013. 09:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Next Era Of Computing Favors AMD [View article]
    @ Justin

"My gripe is that Intel *dropped* support for Intel X79 motherboards"

This was pretty lousy of Intel. I see NO rationale behind this. If I owned an Intel X79 board, I'd be pissed. Luckily, very few enthusiasts buy Intel boards since they are pretty middle-of-the-road ;-)

"along with the fact that it's only a 5% performance increase"

What would you expect from a similarly clocked set of cores, in the same core count configuration, with a core that's 3-5% faster per clock? IVB-E lowers power consumption and SIGNIFICANTLY lowers die size. In short, margins for Intel go up, TCO for the data-center guys (who are crazy about performance/watt/$) goes down, and the intended market wins.

Very few people are expected to upgrade from a 3930K to a 4930K. This is more aimed for people who are maybe on a Nehalem/Westmere, or even a 4 core SNB, looking to upgrade. I am still considering upgrading to an X79 board + 4930K, although I'm tempted to just wait for HSW-E.

These parts were not specifically designed for enthusiasts, they are the leftovers from the server space rebranded as enthusiast parts. Just like desktop LGA parts are the rejects from the mobile parts.
    Sep 3, 2013. 09:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment