Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel: Responding To Piper Jaffray's Downgrade [View article]
    Why do you feel the need to attack people, Jeach?
    Jul 3 05:50 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Responding To Piper Jaffray's Downgrade [View article]
    Jeach!

TSMC's R&D is ~$1.5B, and has tripled over the last 4 years. Intel's process R&D - as of the most recent investor meeting - is ">$2B". Keep also in mind that being an IDM allows you to co-optimize your process with your designs a lot better than the fabless/foundry model.

"FYI, Samsung outspends Intel on all their semi businesses."

Samsung's semiconductor business is largely memory. It ships peanuts in the way of CPUs compared to Intel.
    Jul 3 05:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Responding To Piper Jaffray's Downgrade [View article]
    Rob,

TSMC's factories are booked; semiconductor demand is exploding, and I fully expect Intel to be a strong participant in any major growth areas going forward.
    Jul 3 05:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Silvermont Delivers On Its Promises [View article]
    MJDD,

I deal with it all the time; it's nothing new. I used to get worked up about it, but now I realize that there's no point in trying to reason with random people over the internet that don't want to be reasoned with.

The article is provided as is, to the best of my knowledge. There's no much people can ask for beyond this, especially since it was provided free of charge.
    Jul 3 05:34 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Silvermont Delivers On Its Promises [View article]
    Justin,

It is likely that the Bay Trail M parts have higher power consumption because they support full PC I/O (SATA, PCIe, etc.), whereas the Bay Trail-T need not support it.
    Jul 3 05:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Responding To Piper Jaffray's Downgrade [View article]
    @Jeach!

No. The previous Galaxy Tab had a TI OMAP.
    Jul 3 05:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Responding To Piper Jaffray's Downgrade [View article]
    No LTE yet, and nobody's going to be announcing designs for the next gen "Merrifield" chip until MWC 2014.
    Jul 3 04:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Responding To Piper Jaffray's Downgrade [View article]
    Thank you, Marshall!
    Jul 3 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Responding To Piper Jaffray's Downgrade [View article]
    Jim,

As of the most recent quarter, utilization was back to near full. Intel just shut down the fabs until this new product cycle began to kick in. I don't know why people made such a big deal about it...
    Jul 3 01:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Silvermont Delivers On Its Promises [View article]
    If it were 4.7x over CT+, Snapdragon 800 would have no chance of being competitive. It's 4.7x over CT, but CT+ is 3x faster than CT in GPU performance.
    Jul 3 01:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Silvermont Delivers On Its Promises [View article]
    Given the public information released about Silvermont, the numbers are pretty in line to conservative.
    Jul 3 01:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Silvermont Delivers On Its Promises [View article]
    vector_us,

This is an investing blog, not Wikipedia. Everybody has his or her own opinions. You are a big Qualcomm fan, and you are 100% free to write your own article saying how Intel has no chance of winning, etc.

Nothing's stopping you. The more informed opinions we have out, the better.
    Jul 3 12:52 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Silvermont Delivers On Its Promises [View article]
    Z2580 holds up pretty well for being built on a rickety old core that was designed to go into MIDs and cheap netbooks...5 years ago :-)

BTW, Saltwell seems to really lose in floating point based benchmarks, and I agree Saltwell's FPU was trash, but Silvermont's is *significantly* improved. (of course weren't we just talking about how FPU doesn't matter in client workloads back in my Skylake article :D)
    Jul 3 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Responding To Piper Jaffray's Downgrade [View article]
    Worn&Fuzzy,

By that logic, "Bay Trail" is launched, but it won't reach the market until early September...right around when Qualcomm's S800 based tablets will hit the market in earnest. Your point?
    Jul 3 11:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Silvermont Delivers On Its Promises [View article]
    "When you are giving Opinions than I guess you should be Unbiased."

I make certain reasonable assumptions, assemble the facts available to me, and provide an analysis. Obviously if my conclusion favors one thing over another, then I appear "biased" since I believe one thing is better than another.

I just...I don't get what you're asking?
    Jul 3 11:04 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment