Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Questions I Would Like To See Answered Regarding Bay Trail At IDF [View article]
    "So until Intel's number count the whole SOC, I doubt Baytrail will be able to compete against S800. Its just that x86 is saving it."

Why don't you wait for official power measurements to come out?
    Sep 7, 2013. 12:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Dispelling A Dangerous Misconception [View article]
    I see. I suppose that's why the foundries and the fabless semiconductor players are all trying to march quickly through the process nodes?
    Sep 7, 2013. 12:26 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Dispelling A Dangerous Misconception [View article]
    Hi Michael,

Actually, the IDF that I'm going to is in San Francisco - but I will let everyone here know what's up :-)
    Sep 7, 2013. 12:07 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: So You Want Some Growth, Huh? [View article]
    AnonymousAlpha,

Intel is adding yet another avenue for revenue growth. On top of smartphones, tablets, servers, and networking, it will also build chips for non-competitors in the industry.

Intel is gearing up for some pretty substantial revenue/profit growth...
    Sep 7, 2013. 11:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: So You Want Some Growth, Huh? [View article]
    AnonymousAlpha,

Because TSMC's business is growing, Intel's is not currently. It has very little to do with the merits of the underlying transistor tech and more to do w/ what industries Intel and TSMC are each exposed to, respectively.
    Sep 7, 2013. 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @ Justin - excellent post :-)

"Or is the eMMC controller on chip?"

eMMC controller is on-die for Bay Trail.

". I believe that's why the Acer clover trail tab storage was pretty meh. They got the power consumption benefits of using SSDs vs mechanical storage, but created a bottleneck by using a chip eMMC controller."

I'm not sure what you mean - nearly every mainstream tablet today (iPad, Galaxy, etc.) uses an eMMC interface. SATA is only reserved for the Surface Pro type stuff that uses a full PC I/O enabled chip shoe-horned behind the glass.

The Acer CT tablet was crap for...so many reasons. First off, CT isn't exactly a wonder chip (decent, but not leadership CPU, and complete garbage for GPU, also low memory bandwidth). Second, the device itself was bulky, and third the screen was absolute trash.

If the Windows guys want to compete with Apple, they need to go for very slim/sleek mechanical designs. Now, they're more expensive to pull off, and for $329 with the overhead incurred by picking up a Windows 8 license it's doubly tough...which is why Microsoft needs to lower Windows 8 license fees to near zero if it wants its ecosystem to work on smaller tabs.

The Windows OEM that can pull off a Nexus 7 mark 2 quality tablet with a Bay Trail will win big. My bet is that if anybody steps up to the plate, it'll be Lenovo.
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jomamaiscool,

Absolutely. Also, AMD's Temash/Kabini do not support connected standby, nor do they have the sophistication on the power management side (i.e. really deep C-States) that Intel and the ARM vendors do.
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Justin,

BYT-T communicates with flash memory via eMMC. I don't think any BYT-T parts will be paired with hard disk drives ;-)
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Jomamaiscool,

Remember that the Baytrail-M/D SKUs include a lot more stuff (PCIe, SATA, etc.) that is NOT included in the Baytrail-T. So that adds non-trivial amounts of power and something Justin did not mention in the article :-)
    Sep 7, 2013. 10:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    All of your questions will be publicly answered/revealed at launch. Just be patient - it's only a few days away.
    Sep 7, 2013. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: So You Want Some Growth, Huh? [View article]
    I am.
    Sep 7, 2013. 12:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • With Worst Case Scenario Nearly Priced In, Ambarella Has 34% Upside Potential [View article]
    You got it, Piptief. Glad you found this article useful :-)
    Sep 6, 2013. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Looks like this was a good call :-)
    Sep 6, 2013. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Next Era Of Computing Favors AMD [View article]
    14nm products ARE coming in 2014.
    Sep 4, 2013. 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Intel's Profits Could Skyrocket [View article]
    old indie,

"Bingo. The big question. Who will buy Intel's expensive mobile chips?Only vendors standing up to Apple and Samsung are Asian clone companies who only sell on price."

Who says Intel's chips are expensive?
    Sep 4, 2013. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment