Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel: The Last Man Standing - Already? [View article]
    "Dan's reasoning doesn't seem to hold water since somehow he must think Intel skipped 20nm on the way to 14nm. Apparently Dan has forgotten about the Intel 22nm TriGate. Dan, you know better than that, it's Samsung. Furthermore, for Dan to be right, Intel would have to agree to build parts for Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) and that ain't gonna happen."

Samsung is not skipping 20-nanometer per se -- it's still using it in-house for Exynos . Samsung also did 45, 32, and 28nm, so even Samsung doesn't fit the definition of the player TSMC is talking about.

GloFo, same deal -- they had 32nm HKMG, 28nm (both Poly-SiON and HKMG), but may be skipping 20-nanometer (I'm not sure about this though).

It may be worth contacting TSMC to get further clarification here.
    Aug 6 04:04 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Rosetta Stone Earnings [View article]
    I have never before seen a company actually try to value its own stock.

Nevertheless, thanks for the update!
    Aug 6 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cavium Networks - Beat, Raise, Repeat [View article]
    Great write-up Stephen, as always.
    Jul 31 12:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Shorts Continue To Flee [View article]
    darturtle

I'm sorry, but no. Only about 4% of Intel's float was shorted at its peak, so this run is anything but a "short squeeze".

What makes it so that these 64-bit ARM server chip vendors can live on much lower margins than INTC can? Any vendor that tries to compete solely on price will get slaughtered by what appears to be a material cost structure advantage on Intel's part -- let alone Intel's traditional product superiority that is showing no signs of slowing down.
    Jul 31 09:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Shorts Continue To Flee [View article]
    Craig,

While I'm not going to take credit for your extremely successful investment (congratulations!), I am glad that my articles were/are at least helpful :-)
    Jul 30 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Shorts Continue To Flee [View article]
    If I were a short seller on INTC, I would be very concerned about that $20B buyback program in place. It really doesn't make sense to be short a company with improving fundamentals, is willing to buy back significant quantities of its own stocks, and with broad and deep R&D pipeline.

It's sort of like trying to short AAPL. Why do it?
    Jul 30 08:56 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple updates MacBook Pros, cuts prices [View news story]
    Believe it or not, I went through two Windows 8.1 machines (Sony Vaio Pro 13 and Acer Aspire S7) but gave up on them and moved to a Retina MacBook Pro.

While Apple doesn't have a touch screen, the touchpad experience on a MacBook Pro is unparalleled (and the colors/quality of the Mac display far exceeded the two Windows machines). I think that Windows based OEMs should focus more on trying to get these fundamental user experience points correct before introducing more "gimmicky" features.

To be fair, though, I have not used a Surface Pro 3.

As a final point, I love my Windows 7 desktop to death -- Windows is still the premier gaming (and in my case, productivity) platform and of course I like to build my own machines.
    Jul 29 10:17 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is This A 'Buy The Dip' Opportunity At Maxim Integrated Products? [View article]
    Good overview, Stephen! Thanks for writing.
    Jul 27 06:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Conservative Guidance [View article]
    "Now your on board the AMD TRAIN. Glade to see ya on."

I have no position in AMD nor do I plan to initiate one in the foreseeable future.
    Jul 27 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Latent Profitability [View article]
    Ain't nothing wrong with taking a well-deserved profit. Management delivered, and they deserve to reap the fruits of the value they've created.
    Jul 26 10:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Conservative Guidance [View article]
    wow&wow

"You surprised me by not knowing such a simple fact."

No need to shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you what WS had baked into its estimates and why those estimates are coming down.
    Jul 25 02:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Conservative Guidance [View article]
    Tri Duong

"They're actually profitable. "

Only on a non-GAAP basis. FCF and GAAP net income are still in the red.
    Jul 25 01:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Conservative Guidance [View article]
    TechResearch

"Don't give me that crap. People who invested in AMD in 2003 and got out by mid-2006 made enormous returns."

Swing trading vehicle. Thanks for proving my point :-)

Long term investments that have made huge gains and sustained them include high quality firms like INTC (up 27795% since IPO), MSFT) (up 44031% since IPO), and QCOM (up 13437% since IPO).
    Jul 25 12:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Conservative Guidance [View article]
    Tri Duong

"As a tech analyst, you should know that there's a huge difference between AMD selling their console APUs and when those turn into consoles on store shelves."

Yes. However, last year, AMD actually saw a sequential increase in console APU shipments during Q4 relative to Q3, but this year Q3 is the peak. The investment community had expected this to play out again (and it was part of the sell-side estimates), but it didn't. Estimates lowered, stock takes a hit.

"I really don't understand how people can keep saying AMD is going nowhere when they clearly show significant improvement in nearly every aspect of their business. "

AMD's semi-custom business is doing well, but its PC business is quite literally going down in flames. 20% year over year decline in sales (and >20% decline in units) when its primary competitor is showing high single digit year over year gains is very worrisome for the company's core business.
    Jul 25 10:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Conservative Guidance [View article]
    Sean Chandler

"AMD has a lot of work to do in both node shrinks and core updates"

And it has a mere fraction of Intel's budget with which to do it. The reason AMD is so "cheap" (I don't know by what metrics AMD is cheap other than the fact that the price per share is low, but I digress) is that AMD really does face an uphill battle in fighting richer, more powerful companies.

But of course, differences in opinion are what make a market. Best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on AMD as they evolve over time :-)
    Jul 25 12:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment