Ashraf Eassa

View Ashraf Eassa's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel: Skylake Is Coming [View article]
    "Do you feel comfortable/satisfied with an anniversary of Moore's law, company to project 5% growth? (I wouldn't)"

Given that the company had been seeing revenues drop between 2011 and 2013, I'm grateful for 5% growth. And Intel is priced at a pretty modest multiple, so it's not like investors are pricing in crazy growth.

Jan 28, 2015. 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A One-Stop Shopping Center For Apple [View article]
    Could you write an article? I am sure I, and your thousands of followers, would love to read your take on it.

Jan 28, 2015. 11:42 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A One-Stop Shopping Center For Apple [View article]
    Russ

Out of curiosity, why bet against QCOM? I'm curious to hear your thesis on this one.

Jan 27, 2015. 06:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A One-Stop Shopping Center For Apple [View article]
    The $37 estimate is far too high.

Jan 27, 2015. 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A One-Stop Shopping Center For Apple [View article]
    Bruce

"Before I start: Today was not a great day for me, so this is likely be reflected in my tone below."

I was pretty surprised to see Intel down 5% this morning. Not a great day for any of us with meaningful holdings in INTC, but I think it's an overreaction, for what it's worth...

"To me this series of statements implies that Intel is trying to mislead it's investors. From my observations this implication is not warranted."

I believe Intel has a fundamental lead in getting technologies into high volume production before its competitors (and like I've said, Intel's "14nm" is superior to TSMC/Samsung "16/14nm"). But my argument is that this lead has not yet manifested itself in the smartphone space, and I would even go so far as to say Intel is a bit behind in phones.

This is NOT a fundamental process problem (14nm Cherry Trail for tablets is shipping to customers now, and it's the same process), but it's a product release schedule problem. Nevertheless, the impact on Intel's competitiveness in phones is the same either way.

"My read is that Intel has no intent to try to compete in a big way in smart phones in 2015. 2015 is a year to build mobile IP and build a presence in mobile. Intel stopped there.

I go on to think that by 2016/2017 Intel will be prepared to compete in a big way in mobile . . . and even be on the path to dominance in super smart phones."

Back at the 2012 (!) Investor Meeting, Intel's line was that it would establish a footprint in mobile in the 2012/2013 timeframe and then -- and this is what Intel said -- "extend product leadership" in the 2014/2015 timeframe.

Remember, before there was the SoFIA, Intel actually planned a 22nm integrated modem/AP part which it referred to a "6331" in presentations. This part was cancelled at some point before the 2013 Investor Meeting but AFTER CES 2013, if I have my facts straight.

At any rate the point is, Intel has been working on mobile for years, and it has been a very bumpy ride.

I actually do really like Intel's 2016 product roadmap, but they really need to execute on it. That has been the most frustrating thing for those of us who have been waiting on Intel to deliver in mobile. The "plan" always sounded great, but the reality was less inspiring (for example, Bay Trail needing contra-revenue...)

"Why "awfully?" This again implies some devious intent. Intel made it very clear that in the past Intel has been too open about new technology and this openness has allowed competitors more easily copy Intel technology."

That's the official explanation, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense.

"Having process technology ready is not the same as being in production. You know that. I probably learned that from you."

When Intel has given such "readiness" time-frames in the past, it has generally been synonymous with "qualified for production." At least for as long as I can remember!

Jan 27, 2015. 10:09 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A One-Stop Shopping Center For Apple [View article]
    Rumors say the Galaxy S6 will be using a 14nm Exynos.

Jan 26, 2015. 06:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A One-Stop Shopping Center For Apple [View article]
    david newton

Broxton is a 14nm part, yes.

Jan 26, 2015. 03:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Skylake Is Coming [View article]
    AMD takeover rumors are nothing new.

Jan 26, 2015. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A One-Stop Shopping Center For Apple [View article]
    Russ

Samsung shipped 28nm HKMG in 2013, and this year a number of Samsung smartphones shipped with Samsung-designed/built 20-nanometer chips. Samsung also has claimed on the last earnings call that it has begun running mass production wafers on 14nm.

Jan 26, 2015. 12:16 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Skylake Is Coming [View article]
    No way the HPU is Intel designed. It's either Microsoft custom, or it's a marketing re-brand of an existing solution from some lesser-known provider (ala Apple M7/M8).

Jan 26, 2015. 08:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A One-Stop Shopping Center For Apple [View article]
    The interesting thing is, Samsung is already a "one stop shop" for Apple, if that's what Apple wants. DRAM, NAND, logic foundry, etc.

Jan 25, 2015. 11:12 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Skylake Is Coming [View article]
    HoloLens is rumored to be based on Intel's Cherry Trail tablet CPU.

Jan 25, 2015. 07:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Skylake Is Coming [View article]
    Bruce

"Has Apple previously been the first use of a new node, like 14nm, before the foundry has used the node in another product?"

TSMC 20nm. Yes, there was a low volume Qualcomm baseband out a few months before the A8, but the A8 was the first big volume product on 20nm.

"You also seem to have some doubt as to whether or not Samsung is being truthful when they say they are mass producing 14nm now. Is this doubt based on past experience?"

It almost seems too good to be true. Samsung didn't go into production on its 20nm until around the June 2014 timeframe, but then they moved to 14nm in a matter of about 6 months? This is highly impressive if true.

This is yet another reason why I think, with all due respect to Russ, that Intel can't afford to let Skylake be a "3-4 year product."

Jan 25, 2015. 09:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Skylake Is Coming [View article]
    t0nutz

Thanks for the kind words. Best wishes to you in all of your investments.

Jan 24, 2015. 07:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Skylake Is Coming [View article]
    Bruce

Samsung claims to run its foundry business independently of the phone business. Furthermore, I believe Samsung is doubling down on its semiconductor business as the phone business becomes less attractive.

Jan 24, 2015. 07:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment