Assaf Nathan

View Assaf Nathan's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Liberty Global: The Untapped Future Of Telecommunications [View article]
    Overbuilding means that other providers are building infrastructure in parallel to Liberty's. In other words "50% overbuild" means that 50% of the houses have more than one cable provider that can supply them with service.

If you read it like "Building over" it gets clearer.

It seems you got the meaning wrong.
    Aug 6 02:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SAIC: A Profitable Solution To A Conflict Of Interest [View article]
    Just wanted to update - I bought after the record date but before the spin date - and I still got SAIC, as I expected.
    Oct 7 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SAIC: A Profitable Solution To A Conflict Of Interest [View article]
    BTW - SAI is the "regular way". There is another ticker for "ex market". So i'm pretty sure I will get my shares.
    Sep 25 01:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SAIC: A Profitable Solution To A Conflict Of Interest [View article]
    Thanks for your comments. It may be very well that you are right, although this does not make sense to me.

We'll know in a couple of weeks I guess, yesterday I bought a few shares just to participate in the spinoff.
    Sep 24 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SAIC: A Profitable Solution To A Conflict Of Interest [View article]
    see page 7 at the bottom. For your convinience:
    ---------------
    If I sell, on or before the distribution date, shares of Parent common stock that I held on the record date, am I still entitled to receive shares of New SAIC common stock distributable with respect to the shares of Parent common stock I sold?

A:
    Beginning on or shortly before the record date and continuing through the distribution date for the spin-off, Parent’s common stock will begin to trade in two markets on the NYSE: a “regular-way” market and an “ex-distribution” market. If you hold shares of Parent common stock as of the record date for the distribution and choose to sell those shares in the “regular-way” market after the record date for the distribution and on or before the distribution date, you also will be selling the right to receive the shares of New SAIC common stock in connection with the spin-off. However, if you hold shares of Parent common stock as of the record date for the distribution and choose to sell those shares in the “ex-distribution” market after the record date for the distribution and on or before the distribution date, you will still receive the shares of New SAIC common stock in the spin-off.

--------------

So, if selling the shares means selling the rights, on the same logic, buying the shares means also buying the rights.

Otherwise, the share price would have dropped to represent the distribution, common sense :0)
    Sep 23 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SAIC: A Profitable Solution To A Conflict Of Interest [View article]
    There is nothing there to contradict what I said.

On the record date the rights to receive shares in New Saic are attached to the currently trading shares. Record date shareholders will get explanations about the distribution by mail.

Selling the shares in the period between the record date and the distribution date will be also as selling the rights to the spin-off.
    Sep 23 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SAIC: A Profitable Solution To A Conflict Of Interest [View article]
    The share price did not change at all on Sept 18th. Seems odd if your statement above is true.

To my understanding if you buy the share till EOB at Sep 27 you will still be a part of the spinoff.

Here is from the latest 8-K:

Any holders of shares of SAIC common stock on the record date who sell SAIC shares “regular way” on or before the close of business on September 27, 2013, also will be selling their right to receive shares of Science Applications common stock in the distribution.
    Sep 23 08:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Iron Ore Is Going To Be Great In 2013 [View article]
    Haha yeah right.

I think VALE will be around 8-6$ in 2015.

China will grow less than 5% in 2014 and less than 2% in 2015.

7 months from what I wrote and you can get VALE at a 30% discount.

In another 7 months you will get it in another 30-50% discount.

And this is not over yet :-) stick to your stocks, you're in for some pain !

Let's see how VALE eats these numbers by then.
    Aug 6 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Pick Up Vale [View article]
    Well, one year and 40% less later...
    Oh, and it is just the beginning.
    May 29 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BAC Stock And Warrant Returns Relative To Book Value - Part II [View article]
    you forgot to mention that not only the strike price is adjusted due to dividends but also the underlying stock number per warrant get adjusted.

This is a much stronger adjustment than merely changing the strike price.
    Mar 9 05:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Iron Ore Is Going To Be Great In 2013 [View article]
    I think you had yet to see the Chinese meltdown. It has just started.
    This article is just like some articles on the shipping industry a year and a half ago.

The fact that prices dropped does not mean we saw the bottom.

I cant believe a very common commodity, like iron ore, which costs about 20-30$ to produce and is abundant on our planet, will be sold at 130$. Just 10 years ago, throughout history, iron ore cost abut 20-40$. What happened now? "A new economy"?

When China will drop the ore purchases, and when extra supply, scheduled next year (2013, and esp. 2015) will hit the market, we'll see how this commodity reacts to over-supply that meets declining demand.

China already has over 70 million empty apartments, enough almost to transfer all of the US population into China. Over 60% of the population lives in "City-Villages" ("Villagers" that lives in a "village" that is comparable to Seattle in its infrastructure) . How far can this go? depends. But not long. I'd guess 2013-2014. Iron ore? I'd be surprised to see it above 100$ (or even 80$) by the end of 2014. Talking about "long term"... some horizon we got here :-)

I'd be more surprised to see iron ore producers beat the market. Moreover, more pain is to come - why buy VALE at 20$ when you'll be able to buy it at 10$ in 1-2 years?
    Dec 24 05:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: We Can See Why Berkshire Sold Its Intel Position [View article]
    It was not buffett at all.

As buffett said - he does not buy in 200M$. He buys in billions.

It was todd combs.
    Sep 19 07:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Entercom Communications: A Value Opportunity [View article]
    I obviously got it wrong on the debt refinance side.
    Nevertheless, I sold out of it a long time ago at around 7$ per share.

I think the non callable bonds at 11% broke my back, I was very angry to see these.

Luckily I made money on this investment, today I would not buy them.
    Aug 22 02:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Trading Mistakes Made And What I've Learned From Them [View article]
    I have to agree with you.

All of the conclusions from the article have nothing to do with reality and are useless at best, damaging at worst.

I recommend basic reading - If you read the intelligent investor you may understand that all you wrote is trivial if not dead wrong.

If you buy an undervalued company such as SVU, and it declines another 50%, it does not mean you were wrong, and it certainly does not mean "you need to sit on the sidelines" - are you a market timer? Do you think market prices tell something about a thesis?

If you buy a stock and it goes up 10% in the next week, you were right? If it goes down 10% you are wrong? I recommend you to read chapter 8 in the intelligent investor.

I bought a stock in England in 2010 just for it to decline 78% from the price i bought it the first time. The decline took 1.5 years. Did I make a mistake? I think not, i did not think i had made a mistake even on -78% on the first batch of shares. I bought *all the way down*, it is now up 450% in 2012, and I'm with a hefty profit. So, do I take beats on the first buy in 2010? No I do not. Nor I "sat on the sidelines".

Besides - GMCR? Really? Look for "GMCR Einhorn" in google. Are you willing to buy into a company that is a large scam?

Educate yourself my friend.
    May 29 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • OPAP: A Special Situation in the Sports Industry [View article]
    I think even if Greece leaves the euro and they will get back to Drachma, in current prices the investment will yield an hefty profit, even if Drachma will decline over 80% v.s Euro. And this is not taking any inflation in account.
    May 24 05:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment