AssetInflation

View AssetInflation's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is First Solar Finally Set To Shine? [View article]
    Excellent article. Your understanding of the issues are dead on.
    Nov 6 08:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Classic Comeback Story: The Bullish Case For General Motors [View article]
    Good article... Well thought out with good balance.

Regarding the channel stuffing allegations, they are baseless. While it is true that GM has increased the inventory on the dealer lots, the monthly "sales" that get reported are actual sell-through of cars to end users. When they report a 16% monthly increase, it is based on actual vehicles sold, not what is shipped from GM to the dealers. So the channel stuffing argument is mis-used to portray weakness by those with an agenda.

Having said that, what is more important to pay attention to is the amount of vehicles sold through non-retail channels (think rentals, govt, corp fleet). These sales carry less margin and can be used to "manipulate" demand. I follow GM closely and have written quite a bit agreeing with your ultimate conclusion (GM is a value at these levels), and for the most part GM has been able to reduce their dependency of lower margin non-retail sales. This is the factor to watch, and will be the indicator of overproduction.
    Jul 8 10:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM Could Sink Another 15% By 2013 [View article]
    Good job at including many of the current positives and negatives.

Horrible job of explaining how the stock goes to $18 from that analysis.

You might be right and you might be wrong, but I can definitely assure you that your prediction is purely a guess (unless you forgot to mention a more revealing factor involved).
    May 18 09:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Are Selling GM Like Crazy [View article]
    You should change your photo from the King to the Joker. This analysis is worthless as you twist any fact you can find to fit your hack job. Anyone can have an opinion, and even a coin toss analysis can be right 50% of the time, but please don't pretend to have market knowledge or experience with statements like this:

"Honda is a competitor in China with more fuel efficient vehicles for only $10 more per share than GM"

"The only plan in sight seems to be negotiations to purchase part of Isuzu, which is unlikely thus far"

"GM's hopes reside in gaining market share in China but Ford and Honda are poised to overtake its position if these trends continue on."

"The days of a stock price above $40 are gone and GM has shown little promise in its recovery stage in comparison to its competitors."

There are many other stupid points taken out of context in this article (bringing in the talking points like the government bailout and volt battery fire). And while I can usually tolerate poorly written analysis, this one is really really hacky.

Note: I am LONG GM, happy to be so, and not worried at all about its future, and hope you have the nerve to admit you were wrong when $40 is crossed in the future
    May 14 03:56 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM: Turbocharged By Subprime Under The Hood [View article]
    I agree with you petergrt. And another point that the author misses, is that GM Financial was bought with the purpose of ADDING to their already existing channels of Ally and major banks like Wells Fargo. Since Ally and the major banks were mostly focused on the prime market, GM was unable to compete with other auto companies in the subprime market. This is just another article that twists facts to make a statement that "GM is bad". The stock may take some time to regain market trust, but the reason for its success/failure will not be due to this trivial and useless statistic taken out of context of the bigger picture.
    May 5 09:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Down And Dirty With Peabody Energy [View article]
    Good article... I like the recommendation and the timing.
    Mar 21 06:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • First Solar: Buy When Blood's In The Street And Fade Everything Else [View article]
    Ari and Highwater, thank you both for your comments and banter in the thread. For that matter, thanks to all that posted.

For other articles feel free to add me as a follower, click here or at the top of the page: http://bit.ly/GDiEAX
    Mar 21 12:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comments and you have a similar buy strategy in terms of scaling, you just scale time while I recommended price. Both have merits and pitfalls, but generally the point of buying patiently is appropriate in either scenario.

Regarding the future of solar, I agree it is here to stay.

I think the oil industry (while maybe evil) is also going to make their share of money also in the future.

Thanks for your comments.
    Mar 21 12:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Implied Volatility: What Does It Tell Us? [View article]
    I searched and searched and couldn't re-find the information. I thought I got it from the apple website, but when searching through every page, it was definitely not there. So I recant that information and apologize for stating something as fact when I in fact don't know.
    Mar 20 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Implied Volatility: What Does It Tell Us? [View article]
    April 19th is the date for earnings.
    Mar 19 09:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Look At Gold And Gold Stocks [View article]
    Only for spread traders and then only against long physical gold...And at these depressed prices for both metals I would also suggest one should be net long metals overall and sophisticated before even attempting such a spread.
    Mar 18 12:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bluni, first thank you for the comments... And regarding nat gas, I definitely considered that issue. In fact, that is definitely a pressure point on not just solar, but the coal industry as well. My feeling is that many forms of energy are going to compete favorably to one another at any particular time, however there in NO KILLER form of energy that will make something obsolete. In other words, over a longer time horizon we need much more energy that is known at this time. Unless we find a magic new alternative, the cost dynamic be subject a steady climb making different sources more attractive at different times. IE, be prepared for all forms of energy to rise in importance as time moves on.
    Mar 17 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Look At Gold And Gold Stocks [View article]
    I understand the strategy Retirefund... It works if you are very knowledgeable about the industry... For many, the 'inside baseball' view is something they either don't have time to learn or don't know who to trust. I am always open to information though, so feel free to share specific ideas with the board... And thanks for the comment!
    Mar 17 09:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Look At Gold And Gold Stocks [View article]
    Thanks for the comments New Low... I think you misunderstood the point of THIS article... The meaning was that while I thought in Aug '11 the metal itself was overvalued relative to its peers, I was proven wrong... Thus the strength of the metal on a relational basis is a trend that should be noticed...

As far as strategies making sense, that is entirely an individual decision based on much more input. The article is my take, but as already admitted, I can make mistakes. I suggest that any investor take in knowledge from many sources, and then apply that information carefully and with an understanding that no one knows the future.
    Mar 17 09:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Look At Gold And Gold Stocks [View article]
    Thanks Winning... Good points, thanks for the input!
    Mar 17 09:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment