AssetInflation

View AssetInflation's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Could Obama Speech Rebuild Homebuilders? [View article]
    I don't know yet and will have to wait for speech to be sure, but from what is floating around, it appears that they are going to "use" Fannie and Freddie. (which means taxpayers indirectly since we back them)
    Aug 31 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Obama Speech Rebuild Homebuilders? [View article]
    Thanks for the comments Dennis. I agree with most of your points, but would point out that "demand" is relative to how much money people have. IE, if everyone could afford a beautiful home, then demand would be through the roof. So IMO its less of a demand issue and more of a loss of wealth issue (or perception of loss of wealth).
    Aug 31 04:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Obama Speech Rebuild Homebuilders? [View article]
    Yes apber, I understand your points. I believe your view is mainstream, but there are plenty of possibilities of how to "fix" housing. I agree about the TBTF's being responsible (along with many many other greedy players/people). And regarding proper decision-making for the taxpayers, I think that horse left the barn many years ago.
    Aug 31 04:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Obama Speech Rebuild Homebuilders? [View article]
    You might be right about the effects of the speech Ben, that's why I said it was a speculative idea (reading tea leaves isn't easy). And as far as bringing unemployment down, that is what they are focused on. (How they do it and whether it works is the trick)
    Aug 31 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Ford And General Motors Could Nearly Double In 1 Year [View article]
    Of course... Best way to buy! And for the record, I am in complete agreement with you on your conclusion. If you'd like to read my piece, we have very similar thoughts. Good job Brian.
    Aug 30 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Ford And General Motors Could Nearly Double In 1 Year [View article]
    Regarding their debt load, they have a target of $10B (which was at $14B last Q). They should hit their target by end of this year, plus I believe they will get a credit upgrade soon thereafter. Also, don't forget their automotive cash level hit $22B, and that number starts rising next year when they quit paying down so much debt.
    Aug 30 09:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stock Picks For The Latest Indications Coming From The Fed [View article]
    I like WFC, put them right behind C. I'd rank Citi a bit higher because they have more international opportunities and are cheaper (relative to discount to net tangible book). But Wells Fargo also would be a systemic financial and I'd recommend it.
    Aug 30 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stock Picks For The Latest Indications Coming From The Fed [View article]
    At least we agree on Ford and the sectors! Thanks for your list and comments sethmcs.
    Aug 30 12:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • August U.S. Auto Sales Expected To Be Weaker But Still Solid [View article]
    Thanks for the info Suzhou. When do you think the earnings will flow from China to match what is earned from North America? I do agree that GM's position in China is severely discounted by most investors.
    Aug 30 12:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stock Picks For The Latest Indications Coming From The Fed [View article]
    Hey Just Sayin... I know the reverse split, and that's the point. The stock trading back in the "2"s is a nice entry point. They have tangible book of almost $50, less mortgage issues than BAC/WFC, and are strong players internationally. If the market/economy rallies, these prices will look dirt cheap. I realize that all of the above go nowhere, if we slide back into recession AND THE FED DOESN'T PRINT. The recession I don't deny is possible, but the Fed refraining from printing seems unlikely. Thanks for the comments.
    Aug 29 11:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • August U.S. Auto Sales Expected To Be Weaker But Still Solid [View article]
    Suzhou, I agree about GM (and Ford too) being a steal at these levels. I also agree that the market isn't giving GM enough credit for their position in China, but the US numbers are relevant for near term valuations. The US is where they make the most money, so it is a driver of EPS. For the long-term, I completely agree that position in China (India and Brazil too) is a game-changer.

And thanks for the comments.
    Aug 29 03:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Profit When Gold And Treasuries Diverge Again [View article]
    Thank you valueplay. In addition to yield, I think the treasuries have more downside (if not held to maturity). You can bet that some day the rates are going higher..
    Aug 27 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2011 Is Not 2008: Why Lehman Was the Last 'Lehman' (Part 1) [View article]
    Leftfield, you bring up a good point about states and localities. I also agree that they have more pain ahead (even though they are actually taking their pain meds relative to the Feds).
    Aug 23 02:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2011 Is Not 2008: Why Lehman Was the Last 'Lehman' (Part 1) [View article]
    Thank you James and appreciate your link to more information. My thoughts regarding the European situation is somewhat similar to the US in that there have been improvements. While I do believe that Europe has been slower than the US to address the issues, the problems of today are far less than they were in 2008. Regarding the short-term tightness in the Repo market, I believe that will certainly be addressed by increased central bank coordination.

Many will point to the situation today and describe how dire it looks, but I would remind them of just how close we were to imploding in 2008 (when most were NOT prepared). Since that time much has been done, and more still needs to be, but it appears that the central banks have decided on how to "paper" over the issues. As central banks continue to print money, the large money center financial institutions will heal themselves.

While I don't like it as a consumer, or believe it is ethically appropriate, I do believe that the people in power have made their decision and the decision is to protect the financial institutions at the expense of everyone else.
    Aug 23 02:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2011 Is Not 2008: Why Lehman Was The Last 'Lehman' (Part 2) [View article]
    Thanks for the comment davksus. However, the point of the combined 2-part article was to give people perspective when evaluating the investment climate. Not to present evidence that could disprove the current rumors floating around. On one hand many are comparing this to 2008, and in some cases worse; while in reality there has been much done by 2011 relative to where we were when Lehman folded in 2008.
    Aug 23 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment