AssetInflation

View AssetInflation's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Why Investors Are Selling GM Like Crazy [View article]
    You should change your photo from the King to the Joker. This analysis is worthless as you twist any fact you can find to fit your hack job. Anyone can have an opinion, and even a coin toss analysis can be right 50% of the time, but please don't pretend to have market knowledge or experience with statements like this:

"Honda is a competitor in China with more fuel efficient vehicles for only $10 more per share than GM"

"The only plan in sight seems to be negotiations to purchase part of Isuzu, which is unlikely thus far"

"GM's hopes reside in gaining market share in China but Ford and Honda are poised to overtake its position if these trends continue on."

"The days of a stock price above $40 are gone and GM has shown little promise in its recovery stage in comparison to its competitors."

There are many other stupid points taken out of context in this article (bringing in the talking points like the government bailout and volt battery fire). And while I can usually tolerate poorly written analysis, this one is really really hacky.

Note: I am LONG GM, happy to be so, and not worried at all about its future, and hope you have the nerve to admit you were wrong when $40 is crossed in the future
    May 14 03:56 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America Just Took Armageddon Off The Table [View article]
    My simple answer to your question Davewmart is: the banks work together at the highest level. It isn't JPM against BAC or WFC; its the banking system versus the world.

ps. And don't believe for a second that BAC didn't "get" things in return for their losses from leading the way.
    Sep 18 11:30 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank of America: Rumors Provide Rare Opportunity [View article]
    The prior three posts illustrate how these apparent investment anomalies can exist. While each of the posters offers valid logic (and I'm happy they give their opinions/comments), they have a bias that would not let them consider the possibility that BAC is a buy under $7.

It is impossible to disprove a negative such as "can you trust management's numbers?"; So I guess my answer is: while I acknowledge that the world is manipulated by the elite bankers, those same guys operate in all segments of our society. I would argue that they also are deeply embedded into our legal, political, and capital formation structures. So at some point I can either dismiss all information regarding investing or I can choose to evaluate how "likely" it is that some information is valid. With BAC, I do believe that the tangible book value is close to what they state. While I recognize that they have a few more "hits" coming, I do believe that they are in the 7th inning versus the 1st inning.
    Aug 9 04:54 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM: Turbocharged By Subprime Under The Hood [View article]
    I agree with you petergrt. And another point that the author misses, is that GM Financial was bought with the purpose of ADDING to their already existing channels of Ally and major banks like Wells Fargo. Since Ally and the major banks were mostly focused on the prime market, GM was unable to compete with other auto companies in the subprime market. This is just another article that twists facts to make a statement that "GM is bad". The stock may take some time to regain market trust, but the reason for its success/failure will not be due to this trivial and useless statistic taken out of context of the bigger picture.
    May 5 09:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell the 10-Year U.S. Treasury and Buy Exxon Mobil Instead [View article]
    First, thank you for your comments. But I think you might want to reconsider your thoughts (if you do believe that the USDollar is going to be devalued). Treasuries are one of the "worst" investments in that scenario. When Russia recently devalued, people were buying TVs and cars as fast as they could to get something of value before their currency got even cheaper. Conversely, XOM might sell less oil in that scenario, but they will sure sell it for a higher price (and the net profit would increase).
    Aug 1 07:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Classic Comeback Story: The Bullish Case For General Motors [View article]
    Good article... Well thought out with good balance.

Regarding the channel stuffing allegations, they are baseless. While it is true that GM has increased the inventory on the dealer lots, the monthly "sales" that get reported are actual sell-through of cars to end users. When they report a 16% monthly increase, it is based on actual vehicles sold, not what is shipped from GM to the dealers. So the channel stuffing argument is mis-used to portray weakness by those with an agenda.

Having said that, what is more important to pay attention to is the amount of vehicles sold through non-retail channels (think rentals, govt, corp fleet). These sales carry less margin and can be used to "manipulate" demand. I follow GM closely and have written quite a bit agreeing with your ultimate conclusion (GM is a value at these levels), and for the most part GM has been able to reduce their dependency of lower margin non-retail sales. This is the factor to watch, and will be the indicator of overproduction.
    Jul 8 10:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM Could Sink Another 15% By 2013 [View article]
    Good job at including many of the current positives and negatives.

Horrible job of explaining how the stock goes to $18 from that analysis.

You might be right and you might be wrong, but I can definitely assure you that your prediction is purely a guess (unless you forgot to mention a more revealing factor involved).
    May 18 09:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Mine Newmont And Silver Wheaton [View article]
    I like NEM better than SLW, but I agree that it is a great point to buy into the miners. The covered call will work on NEM too as they have very nice premiums.
    Sep 28 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America Just Took Armageddon Off The Table [View article]
    Thanks for the comments Martin, and while I don't think BAC will play the bankrupt Countrywide card, the fact that they could play it, should speed up the healing process. And I do believe that the sector has already been hit with the change in lending standards, and the process of securitization has also been meaningfully improved. Bank loans since 2008 have been fine, its the ones outstanding from 2005-7 that cause the headaches.
    Sep 18 01:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2011 Is Not 2008: Why Lehman Was the Last 'Lehman' (Part 1) [View article]
    Thank you James and appreciate your link to more information. My thoughts regarding the European situation is somewhat similar to the US in that there have been improvements. While I do believe that Europe has been slower than the US to address the issues, the problems of today are far less than they were in 2008. Regarding the short-term tightness in the Repo market, I believe that will certainly be addressed by increased central bank coordination.

Many will point to the situation today and describe how dire it looks, but I would remind them of just how close we were to imploding in 2008 (when most were NOT prepared). Since that time much has been done, and more still needs to be, but it appears that the central banks have decided on how to "paper" over the issues. As central banks continue to print money, the large money center financial institutions will heal themselves.

While I don't like it as a consumer, or believe it is ethically appropriate, I do believe that the people in power have made their decision and the decision is to protect the financial institutions at the expense of everyone else.
    Aug 23 02:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Stocks to Play the U.S. Auto Rebound [View article]
    Matthew and Michael, Ford is doing well and the stock will eventually follow. In fact, I think Ford just finished its healthy correction. Thanks for the comments
    Aug 15 11:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Precious Metal Stocks Will Outshine Gold [View article]
    good points ed233 and thanks for adding your insight. I do believe that Kinross and Agnico-Eagle also have sunny skies ahead. Gold in the ground is fantastic as the world is waking up to the big picture.
    Aug 12 10:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Precious Metal Stocks Will Outshine Gold [View article]
    We agree indianmark... And take being called "pollyannish" a positive in today's environment!
    Aug 10 08:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Precious Metal Stocks Will Outshine Gold [View article]
    I agree Moon... And if people believe this rally will last (and I do), then the high quality miners should have even greater upside leverage.
    Aug 10 08:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now It's Time to Be Greedy [View article]
    Flash, good points, but I think its too early for another bear when many think the bull hasn't even started. If they knock this down 50% at this time, then the depression that would ensue would truly be of epic proportions.
    Aug 5 04:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment