Austinbroker

View Austinbroker's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Royal Dutch Shell plc declares $0.47 dividend [View news story]
    ditto, the actualy ADR increase was $0.04 form $0.90 to $0.94.
    Apr 30 12:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Tortoise Strategy: Part 8 - Don't Buy Philip Morris Now At 4.7% Yield; Get Paid 9.7% To Wait [View article]
    PM is one of my favorites to sell puts against. I'm currently sitting on a Jan 17 '15 $80 Put I sold for 9.00 in February. I could close now and capture almost a $500 gain or I may just ride it out since I wouldn't mind adding more PM at a great price ($71) anyways. The the great thing about selling puts against companies you want to own more of, it's a win-win.

Thanks for the article.
    Apr 17 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Family Dollar Stores Inc. A Bargain? [View article]
    Thanks for this analysis! I recently made some very small purchases and hope to continue averaging down as their earnings could struggle in the short-term. Long-term they have a great dividend track record and I'll be cautiously watching their yearly raises. These types of companies seem to do really well in a recessionary environment which will come again eventually.
    Apr 16 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Consider Guns, Germs And Steel For Your Portfolio [View article]
    "Even though they have only raised their dividend consecutively for the last four years,"

My records show the last 13 years for NSC. I stopped reading at that point...
    Feb 27 02:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Discussion Of A Long-Term Investment In Ensco Plc [View article]
    I recently added some ESV (the last two months) and it's now one of my largest positions at 4.15% weight. I see the short-term negative news (possibly 2-3 years as you mention) as a good buying opportunity for a long-term investor.

How do you see the large dividend increase affecting their ability to use cash flow to pay for their CapEx and therefore increasing debt? Their payout has increased substantially with the last two raises.

I appreciate your very detailed analysis and I'm now a follower.
    Feb 12 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Target Corporation Dividend Stock Analysis [View article]
    It doesn't worry me very much, I see the short-term weakness as a buying opportunity myself
    Dec 23 02:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo: 6.3% Yield And 20%+ Potential Upside [View article]
    Thanks for the response. I plan on reading the prospectus because I'm interesting in adding a high yielding preferred and I'm a fan of WFC. I was hoping to get more insight on the new language I've heard is being used by bank preferred's and if the bank can get away with calling shares for less than face value, in this case $25. I will definitely do some more research.
    Dec 3 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo: 6.3% Yield And 20%+ Potential Upside [View article]
    I haven't done a lot of research on preferred but would like to include them in my portfolio at some point.

What is the difference between the O and N preferred's and if there is none then why do they trade at different values? I'm not familiar with the new wording on these preferred's. Can it be called for a price less than $25 at some point?
    Dec 2 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Omega Healthcare Is A Sleep-Well-At-Night REIT That Pays 6.27% [View article]
    Thanks for the detailed analysis. I love the business model. They are currently the only REIT that I own and I just added more shares last week.
    Aug 5 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: 10 Fundamental Reasons It's A Buy [View article]
    Thanks for this article. Many of the reasons you point out are why INTC is currently my top holding as I feel it's a great value here. They also pay a nice and increasing dividend while you wait.
    Feb 4 05:55 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 High-Yielding Dividend Stocks That Hike Dividends By More Than 20% Each Year [View article]
    TWGP has not increased its dividend since June of 2011. I own a small stake but am closely watching the company. They incurred a lot of claims from the recent storms in NY but I think will be fine long-term.
    Jan 7 12:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Textainer: A Strong Company With Favorable Prospects And A 5% Yield [View article]
    Thanks for this detailed review of TGH. I am long TGH and am looking for an attractive price to buy more. Meanwhile, I have sold a couple of puts to maybe pick it up at a better price. I like the business and plan to add to the position this year. I also like the fact that they have increased their dividend every quarter since May 2010.
    Jan 7 12:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BBVA: An Unloved And Undervalued Spanish Global Banking Giant, Part 3 - Key Risks, Shareholder Remuneration, And Valuation [View article]
    Caiman,

I enjoyed the 3-part series. Thanks for taking the time to give a thorough analysis of BBVA.

I'm currently long BBVA and selling some naked puts on weakness. I believe BBVA is currently a good value and income play for the long-term investor.
    Oct 24 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Western Digital Reaches Moore's Law Destination [View article]
    4 TB can get used up pretty easily. A regular Blu-Ray movie actually takes up 25 GB, while a dual layer Blu-Ray movie takes up closer to 50 GB. If you have two 2 TB drives (4 GB total) in a Raid formation for backup purposes then you could only store and backup 40 dual layer Blu-Ray movies. There's still a big need for larger and especially faster/lower energy use drives.
    Sep 27 02:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Mad Method Meets The 'Chowder Dividend Rule' [View article]
    J.D.,

I like your series of articles and I think you've got a nice way of ranking going for you.

I do keep a spreadsheet of my own that I'm still tweaking. I have important information like payout ratio, beta, stock price etc. automatically imported from yahoo finance upon opening the file. The only thing I'm manually inputting now is # of shares owned and the 5-year CAGR. I didn't see the 5-year CAGR on yahoo finance like you mentioned. Under the key statistics tab there is a 5-year average dividend yield but not CAGR. If someone knows of a reliable site that I'm able to import the 5-year CAGR automatically into Excel from please let me know.
    Sep 11 11:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment