Barath Balu

View Barath Balu's Comments BY TICKER:
  • SodaStream International Is An Attractive Buy At These Levels [View article]
    Hi Seth. Thank you for your comment.

I actually could not find what the exact margin on the soda makers was. Can you share the source for your 25% to 30% figure? All I managed to find was a line that they were sold nearly at cost in the 2012 10k filing.

I have to disagree with your comment on Kitchen Aid. The brand is certainly more popular and has a greater following. http://bit.ly/1ck9kTa

The regular cola may be cheaper than coke or pepsi under certain circumstances. I chose to compare unit costs to 2 liter bottles. The difference is about $.50/liter vs $.75/liter. Then when you add in the cost of CO2 ($.25/liter) the cost becomes the same. Considering you have a $70 minimum fixed cost, it does end up being more expensive. When you sue naturally flavored cola as the basis for this comparison, which is about $2/liter, its clearly more expensive.
    Feb 25 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Investors Should Not Care About The 5s' Benchmarks [View article]
    I would say that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was a notable design win
    Nov 9 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Investors Should Not Care About The 5s' Benchmarks [View article]
    Actually cube, I was replying to familymisc's earlier comment, which quoted you.
    Nov 9 12:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Investors Should Not Care About The 5s' Benchmarks [View article]
    I would agree with you to an extent. Bay Trail way by no means a "huge achievement." Anyone that expected it to singlehandedly make Intel a major player in the mobile space had lofty expectations indeed.

However, I would say you're a bit too harsh in your analysis. I see Bay Trail as an impressive step in the right direction from a company with next to no history and experience in mobile. They have a long way to go in terms of LTE radio integration, but they made a power efficient chip that matches, if not beats, its competition in performance.
    Nov 8 01:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Investors Should Not Care About The 5s' Benchmarks [View article]
    Manufacturers are moving away from that distinction. Tablets and phones are powered by the same chip much more often these days. The iPad Air and the iPhone 5s, for instance, are powered by the exact same chip.
    Nov 7 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons To Be Cautious About Tesla Motors [View article]
    Trefis is purely a research company.
    Jun 9 12:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Interpreting The Model S Sales Figures [View article]
    I strongly encourage you to read articles before you comment on them. As the title suggests, this article aims to offer an objective interpretation of the Q1 sales figures and clear up some misconceptions that investors have. Nothing more. Judging by the other comments, I have been successful in doing so.

I certainly do not have bitter investor syndrome. In fact, I did mention in the first paragraph that the short sellers were incorrect about the company's valuation as well. Do I tell investors to short the stock, or that the company will be unsuccessful at any point? No. I simply tell them to consider the risks, and not to use misinterpretations to justify a share price driven by a short squeeze.
    May 16 06:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Interpreting The Model S Sales Figures [View article]
    Steve, I did indeed pull that comparison from an older article. However, if you read my article, you will see I did so for the purpose of explaining why such comparisons are incorrect.
    May 16 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Interpreting The Model S Sales Figures [View article]
    I'm waiting for the effects of the short squeeze to wear off, then I will likely buy some as well.
    May 16 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Interpreting The Model S Sales Figures [View article]
    Thank you for your comment. The reservations give us a measurement of interest, not necessarily demand. It is easy to put down a deposit if you are interested in the car, but withdraw it if you ultimately decide not to purchase it. What I would like to know is how many of the reservation holders are going through with their purchase, and how that ratio is changing over time.

Again I am in no way saying that demand for Tesla's products will flat line or fall. All I am saying is that investors should be aware of the risks and hurdles the company faces, and should not extrapolate using incorrect interpretations of Q1 sales data.

In my personal opinion, I think the company will do quite well, but the stock price is well beyond its fair valuation right now.
    May 16 06:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Interpreting The Model S Sales Figures [View article]
    Actually, Tesla stopped providing reservation data after it weakened in Q1. The reservations/ week would give us a better measurement of interest, not necessarily demand, since the deposit is fully refundable and non binding. Many potential customers are only putting down a reservation to secure their place in case they do decide to buy.
    May 16 06:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Interpreting The Model S Sales Figures [View article]
    Oh, let me clarify. We actually did receive a call in March to configure our Model S, but we decided to defer the purchase because my dad had some reservations and wanted to look at the upcoming Audi TDI models.

I mentioned that we made a reservation a year ago, and that our place in line was about 10,400 to highlight the fact that these current sales may not reflect current demand at all.
    May 16 06:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: Interpreting The Model S Sales Figures [View article]
    My family is actually considering Audi and Mercedes as well. We actually haven't decided yet though, and have already deferred our reservation once. I personally think its a fantastic car, but my dad needs to travel long distances time to time.

Again, I am not saying that Tesla will be unable to appeal to the mainstream consumer. All I'm saying is that there is some measure of uncertainty to be accounted for. The current sales figures should not be used to estimate the Model S's popularity in the mainstream market as so many are doing.

As for Generation III, I wouldn't put too much weight on that. I think it's a bad idea to extrapolate too far into the future with budding industries such as this.
    May 16 05:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ARM Holdings: The Real Reason That It Ends Badly [View article]
    Great article Ashraf. I think that the strength of the post-earnings rally can be largely attributed to a short squeeze. As I recall, the quantity on loan was very large before the earnings release.
    May 3 10:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Short Interest In XIV Is Misguided [View article]
    I agree. The term structure is most likely to be in backwardation when the VIX is elevated well above its historical mean. At this point, potential losses from mean reversion do become significant.
    Apr 9 01:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment