Barry Bazzell

View Barry Bazzell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Chip Shot: Cavium, NetLogic Add Intelligence to New Routers [View article]
    Neither company has yet to consistently outperform the S&P. I'm sitting on the sidelines at this point. The highly-respected Linley Group has some interesting observations about their competing technologies: www.netlogicmicro.com/...
    Jul 24 07:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla's Battery Technology Pushes EV Movement Forward [View article]
    I have modified the original article to clarify the battery swapping option in the Model S. Tesla is not interested in standardizing EV batteries, which seems to be a requirement of the Better Place model. See dock-of-bay.blogspot.c...
    Mar 6 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NXP Semiconductors Soars on Excitement Over NFC Technology [View article]
    Let the NFC games begin!
    Mar 3 11:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NXP Semiconductors Soars on Excitement Over NFC Technology [View article]
    NXPI is a speculative NFC play at this point. Investing in growth stocks is a risky business. According to a TheStreet.com report following the release of NXPI Q4 results and Q1 guidance, "NXP said that 70 million NFC-enabled phones would be sold in 2011 and 120 million would be sold in 2012. Thats huge growth ... and probably understated. As the leading player in the space today and w/a partnership already in place w/Google, NXP looks to be well positioned to capture most of the growth in this nascent segment. Rumors have swirled for months that Apple will choose NXP as its NFC supplier. We'll have to wait and see."
    Mar 1 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NXP Semiconductors Soars on Excitement Over NFC Technology [View article]
    Japan, Hong Kong and Europe are definitely further ahead. Bloomberg (www.bloomberg.com/news...) and CNET (reviews.cnet.com/8301-...) reports explore some of the points you make.
    Feb 27 03:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NXP Semiconductors Soars on Excitement Over NFC Technology [View article]
    After NXPI, I like PAY (Veriphone). For details, see dock-of-bay.blogspot.c... & finance.yahoo.com/news...
    Feb 27 02:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JDS Uniphase: Promoting Gesture Recognition Technology [View article]
    I appreciate the compliment Robert. Growth stocks will keep you up at night. JDS Uniphase and Finisar, the two companies leading the optical rebirth, are going to have their up and downs. Long term, however, I can't think of a better investment.
    Feb 13 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acme Packet a Key Player in Building VoIP Networks [View article]
    Finisar is my personal choice. Finisar Automates Optical Networks dock-of-bay.blogspot.c... explains how the sale of reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexers, known as ROADMs, are what's driving growth for JDSU and Finisar. The latest ROADMs use wavelength selective switches (WSSs). Their has been a shift away from JDSU to Finisar as WSSs have become more popular.

JDSU was the poster child for the bursting of the tech bubble in early 2000. They has learned their lessons, however, and diversified. Their gesture recognition technology is an important potential source of revenue growth. See JDSU Has Bright Future dock-of-bay.blogspot.c...
    Feb 8 05:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acme Packet a Key Player in Building VoIP Networks [View article]
    I wouldn't short APKT. Ask Whitney Tilson, dock-of-bay.blogspot.c... The same concept applies.
    Feb 4 02:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix, YouTube Blazing the Trail in Web TV [View article]
    My bad. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Nov 27 06:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Driving in the Fast Lane With Tesla [View article]
    Put some skin in the game; not your life savings
    Nov 22 02:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Six Sizzling Bay Area Stocks [View article]
    I cover the tech companies of the Bay Area in my blog, Silicon Valley Blog. I also manage several stock portfolios that focus on this region. My Silicon Valley 2.0 fund is outperforming the S&P by some 30 percent annually over the last two years. The Dock of the Bay fund is not far behind. It beats the S&P by about 26 percent annually. Thanks for the tip on Open Table. It looks like a good candidate for my aforementioned funds. Apple, VMWare, Salesforce.com and Netflix have all been top five holdings of the Silicon Valley 2.0 and Dock of the Bay funds. I recently liquidated my Apple holdings in these two funds recently because its too big now. Netflix is my top pick at the moment. My top holding right now is Finisar (FNSR). JDSU is no longer the top optical gear company. Finisar has taken their place. I would also include Aruba (ARUN) on any list of hot Bay Area stocks. Aruba is probably the best pure play on the hot Wifi sector.
    Sep 28 09:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • MIPS Technology Challenges ARM's Cell Phone Chip Design Monopoly [View article]
    The company is being deliberately ambiguous about who plans to make a mobile phone with a MIPS-designed processor. Rumor has it that an Asian company will be MIPS' "anchor" customer.
    Sep 15 08:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intuitive Surgical: Great Company, Bargain Price [View article]
    I am an ISRG fan also. Other than VMW, I can't think of a small company w/a brighter future. For the time being, ISRG doesn't face the competitive landscape that VMW does. I love Silicon Valley growth stocks!
    Mar 9 04:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Coming Depression: See It Clearly Through Historical Eyes [View article]
    Great article. We obviously need more historical perspective. Have you read Recipe For Disaster: The Formula That Killed Street? www.wired.com/techbiz/...
    Feb 24 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment