Barry Robbins

View Barry Robbins' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Global Financial Crisis Makes Oil a Great Hedge [View article]
    Maybe. But this is a short-term trading strategy. Just do a google search on "Cantarell" or "Burgan", and you will find stories about the declining production rates of 2 of the world's biggest oil fields, in Mexico and Kuwait, respectively. The steep falloff in Cantarell production will have a major impact on the Mexican economy.
    Oct 8, 2008. 08:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Maxwell's Oil Analysis [View article]
    I think many oil analysts are underestimating the panic that will result when the general public realizes that we face ever-declining supplies of oil. Few people realize the scope of the problem. Hopefully by 2013 we will have made much more progress with wind, solar, natural gas, and plug-in hybrids.
    Sep 10, 2008. 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Theoretical Declines of a Bursting Oil Bubble [View article]
    I think the idea that oil will follow the same path as these other bubbles is a huge mistake. The reason oil will be different... We are running out of the stuff! Planned future oil production projects will not be able to meet expected demand. And the production rates of the world's biggest oil fields are in decline. You might be better off comparing oil to the price of Manhattan real estate - there is only some much of the stuff to go around, and demand far outstrips supply.
    Sep 4, 2008. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Green Hunter Energy: A Highly Speculative Stock Pick [View article]
    I am very skeptical about biodiesel refiners. I lost alot of money on Nova Biosource (NBF), which has the exact same biodiesel concept (multiple feedstocks). Regarding wind energy, GRH does not have a producing wind farm. Why not just buy Canadian Hydro Developers (KHD). KHD already owns 5 operating wind farms, and they are in the process of building 2 more gigantic onces (Wolfe Island & Melancthon II).
    Sep 2, 2008. 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • T. Boone Pickens Holdings Down Nearly 20% This Quarter [View article]
    It is too bad he doesn't have wind energy holdings, like Vestas (VWSYF.PK). Vestas, the world's #1 maker of wind turbines, continues to make gains. There are few companies out there planning massive expansions like Vestas, including the world's biggest wind tower factory in Colorado, and the largest wind turbine blades in Isle of Wight, just to name a couple.
    Aug 17, 2008. 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • As Merrill Reports, Short Squeeze in Financials Continues [View article]
    Even if you are a long-term investor, the financials are seeing enormous losses and enormous share-dilution. A long-term investor in Citi would be down over the past 10 years. I would think a long-term investor should be focused on a company with solid earnings, solid return-on-capital, and a low PE. The financials just don't fit this model.
    Jul 18, 2008. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is There a "Best Way" to Invest in Wind Power? [View article]
    If you are looking for some other wind energy investments, check out Kaydon (KDN) (wind turbine bearings), APWR (China wind turbine producer), OTTR (wind towers), TRN (wind towers), and CPTC.ob (wind turbine producer).
    Jul 9, 2008. 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bolt Technology: Charged for Growth [View article]
    I think BOLT is a great investment. As much as I want to see oil go down, I don't think it will. The longer oil stay above $140, the less it seems like a bubble, and the more it seems like a long-term trend. I have looked at a lot of stocks, and few have the numbers of BOLT: no debt, low PE, high growth rate, high operating margin, high return on capital. This stock has been one of my biggest holdings for a long time.
    Jul 8, 2008. 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Creating an Alternative Energy Mini-Basket [View article]
    I own a number of wind energy stocks, including APWR. Right now, I think the best wind energy bet is Kaydon, KDN. They make the specialized bearings that go into wind turbines. They have a high margin business, with a reasonable PE. I don't think the market has yet realized the growth that the company is starting to realize from wind energy.
    Jul 1, 2008. 06:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transmission, Tax Issues Threaten Growth of US Wind Power [View article]
    If the government cannot renew the PTC I will lose all faith in them. The renewal of the PTC is so obviously beneficial to the USA that I can only assume the government is totally corrupt if they fail to renew it.
    Jun 6, 2008. 05:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Mariposa, I think the PEs for the wind turbine makers is very reasonable: Nordex - 22, Vestas - 25.

This article has some PE numbers at the bottom:

www.guardian.co.uk/bus...
    May 26, 2008. 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Another one to mention is Canadian Hydro Developers (KHD.TO) - they own a number of windfarms in Canada.
    May 25, 2008. 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Great article. If you mention Clipper, then you need to include the 3 bigger, by market share, wind turbine producers: Vestas (VWSYF.PK), Gamesa (GCTAF.PK), and Nordex (NRDXF.pk). All three of these companies are great investments for the future. I own all 3. Gamesa and Nordex are 2 of my biggest holdings.
    May 25, 2008. 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Wind Beneath Trinity's Wings [View article]
    Wind energy stocks are going to be like the internet stocks of the late 90's. Seriously! Do your research and you will see that electric utilities are building a lot of wind farms. Why? Because they like the economics of wind. Trinity (TRN) is a great way to play wind. Other wind stocks that I own: Otter Tail (OTTR), Kaydon (KDN) (they make wind turbine bearings), and Zoltek (ZOLT) (they make carbon-fiber turbine blades).

Composite Technology (CPTC.OB) is a start-up wind turbine builder. As is AAER (AAE.V). If you are interested in speculative stocks, I think AAER is going to have a huge year.
    May 4, 2008. 11:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Long Ideas: Mitcham Industries, Key Technology and New Frontier Media [View article]
    Thanks for the write-up. I used to own Mitcham. I think 3D-seismic is a very interesting "Peak Oil" sector play. In a world with declining oil reserves, I think 3D-seismic companies will become very important. I currently own BOLT and OYOG. Do you have an opinion on either of these?

Also, I owned NOOF for a while (after reading Joel Greenblatt's "Little" book). The stock never made much progress while I owned it.
    Apr 30, 2008. 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment