Barry Robbins

View Barry Robbins' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Transmission, Tax Issues Threaten Growth of US Wind Power [View article]
    If the government cannot renew the PTC I will lose all faith in them. The renewal of the PTC is so obviously beneficial to the USA that I can only assume the government is totally corrupt if they fail to renew it.
    Jun 6 05:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Mariposa, I think the PEs for the wind turbine makers is very reasonable: Nordex - 22, Vestas - 25.

This article has some PE numbers at the bottom:

www.guardian.co.uk/bus...
    May 26 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Another one to mention is Canadian Hydro Developers (KHD.TO) - they own a number of windfarms in Canada.
    May 25 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Great article. If you mention Clipper, then you need to include the 3 bigger, by market share, wind turbine producers: Vestas (VWSYF.PK), Gamesa (GCTAF.PK), and Nordex (NRDXF.pk). All three of these companies are great investments for the future. I own all 3. Gamesa and Nordex are 2 of my biggest holdings.
    May 25 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Wind Beneath Trinity's Wings [View article]
    Wind energy stocks are going to be like the internet stocks of the late 90's. Seriously! Do your research and you will see that electric utilities are building a lot of wind farms. Why? Because they like the economics of wind. Trinity (TRN) is a great way to play wind. Other wind stocks that I own: Otter Tail (OTTR), Kaydon (KDN) (they make wind turbine bearings), and Zoltek (ZOLT) (they make carbon-fiber turbine blades).

Composite Technology (CPTC.OB) is a start-up wind turbine builder. As is AAER (AAE.V). If you are interested in speculative stocks, I think AAER is going to have a huge year.
    May 4 11:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Long Ideas: Mitcham Industries, Key Technology and New Frontier Media [View article]
    Thanks for the write-up. I used to own Mitcham. I think 3D-seismic is a very interesting "Peak Oil" sector play. In a world with declining oil reserves, I think 3D-seismic companies will become very important. I currently own BOLT and OYOG. Do you have an opinion on either of these?

Also, I owned NOOF for a while (after reading Joel Greenblatt's "Little" book). The stock never made much progress while I owned it.
    Apr 30 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bullish on Chinese Microcaps [View article]
    I am getting fed up with articles submitted by anonymous authors. I think China is a great investment opportunity, but I have had mostly bad experiences with Chinese microcaps. My general advice would be to never take any investing advice from an anonymous source.
    Apr 22 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Broadwind on GE, Gamesa Wind Energy Deals [View article]
    BWEN is a very well run company, and I made some money on it in the past. The problem is that the shares are extremely expensive. The company has a market cap of 887mil and a revenue of only 29mil, according to yahoo finance. You can buy the 2 biggest wind turbine makers in the world, via the pink sheets: Vestas (VWSYF.pk), and Gamesa (GCTAF.pk). Each pink sheet share represents a European-traded share. These are 2 great companies that are doing some amazing things.

In the U.S. you can buy Trinity (TRN) - they have a PE around 7! Most of their business is building rail cars, but they also have a fast-growing wind tower business that is bigger than Broadwind's, and much cheaper.
    Apr 21 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MBIA Gets Moody's Top Rating, Pfizer Downgraded: Is This for Real? [View article]
    I think after the regulators, banks and ratings agencies got together and figured out there was no good solution to the monoline insurers' problems - they decided to do nothing at all, and hope the problem just goes away.
    Feb 27 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Case Shiller Reveals Across-the-Board Housing Market Declines [View article]
    I still see a lack of capitulation from investors. Simply put, investors are way too bullish. They still think every sell-off is a buying opportunity. The assumption is that things aren't as bad as they appear. If you agree, you should be buying stocks. I am more pessimistic.
    Feb 26 08:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil and Natural Gas Will Decouple - Big Time [View article]
    China has a major air pollution problem, that will be obvious to the world during this summer's Olympics. With this in mind, I recently bought SinoEnergy (SNEN.ob). They own natural gas filling stations in China.
    Feb 24 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shorting the Homebuilders as Their Stocks Surge [View article]
    I am currently shorting Lennar (LEN). There is no evidence of a turnaround in the homebuilders. There is a vast oversupply of homes, a massive reduction in available credit, and foreclosures are rising. There is no way that a turnaround is coming for the homebuilders. When I see a few of them declaring bankruptcy, then I may take a closer look at the survivors. Eventually, Toll Brothers may be a buy - but not until 2009 at the earliest.
    Feb 24 03:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Financials Offer Patient Bulls Many Opportunities [View article]
    I read today that 10% of the homeowners in the entire country have negative equity in the their home. This is terrible because when people need to move, then they will have to take money out of the stock market, just so they can "sell" their house, if they are even able to find a buyer.

Home prices have risen far above the historical average. Until home prices come down by 20 to 30%, I can't buy any financials. Also, hundreds of billions in writedowns have essentially been hidden in the monoline insurers (MBIA & Ambak).

I know eventually financials will be a great buying opportunity. I just think the time is still a year away.
    Feb 22 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bet Against the Banks [View article]
    I have owned SKF since September 2007. I feel the trade is getting a little bit old, but there is no way I can close it out before there is full recognition of the problems with the monolines (MBIA & Ambak).
    Feb 17 07:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Blowing Hot Air At China Wind Systems [View article]
    Gambling on small companies in China is extremely risky investing. This company might go bust, but wind energy in China is going to be enormous. Air quality in China is terrible. Smog in Beijing will be a national embarrassment during the upcoming Olympics. The Chinese gov't will make a huge move into wind energy in the coming years. Given that, I decided to risk a small amount of money on this stock. We will see what happens... I am thinking I won't lose as much money as I lost on Bodisen!
    Feb 17 07:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment