Barry Robbins

View Barry Robbins' Comments BY TICKER:
  • T. Boone Pickens Holdings Down Nearly 20% This Quarter [View article]
    It is too bad he doesn't have wind energy holdings, like Vestas (VWSYF.PK). Vestas, the world's #1 maker of wind turbines, continues to make gains. There are few companies out there planning massive expansions like Vestas, including the world's biggest wind tower factory in Colorado, and the largest wind turbine blades in Isle of Wight, just to name a couple.
    Aug 17, 2008. 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • As Merrill Reports, Short Squeeze in Financials Continues [View article]
    Even if you are a long-term investor, the financials are seeing enormous losses and enormous share-dilution. A long-term investor in Citi would be down over the past 10 years. I would think a long-term investor should be focused on a company with solid earnings, solid return-on-capital, and a low PE. The financials just don't fit this model.
    Jul 18, 2008. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is There a "Best Way" to Invest in Wind Power? [View article]
    If you are looking for some other wind energy investments, check out Kaydon (KDN) (wind turbine bearings), APWR (China wind turbine producer), OTTR (wind towers), TRN (wind towers), and CPTC.ob (wind turbine producer).
    Jul 9, 2008. 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bolt Technology: Charged for Growth [View article]
    I think BOLT is a great investment. As much as I want to see oil go down, I don't think it will. The longer oil stay above $140, the less it seems like a bubble, and the more it seems like a long-term trend. I have looked at a lot of stocks, and few have the numbers of BOLT: no debt, low PE, high growth rate, high operating margin, high return on capital. This stock has been one of my biggest holdings for a long time.
    Jul 8, 2008. 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Creating an Alternative Energy Mini-Basket [View article]
    I own a number of wind energy stocks, including APWR. Right now, I think the best wind energy bet is Kaydon, KDN. They make the specialized bearings that go into wind turbines. They have a high margin business, with a reasonable PE. I don't think the market has yet realized the growth that the company is starting to realize from wind energy.
    Jul 1, 2008. 06:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transmission, Tax Issues Threaten Growth of US Wind Power [View article]
    If the government cannot renew the PTC I will lose all faith in them. The renewal of the PTC is so obviously beneficial to the USA that I can only assume the government is totally corrupt if they fail to renew it.
    Jun 6, 2008. 05:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Mariposa, I think the PEs for the wind turbine makers is very reasonable: Nordex - 22, Vestas - 25.

This article has some PE numbers at the bottom:

www.guardian.co.uk/bus...
    May 26, 2008. 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Another one to mention is Canadian Hydro Developers (KHD.TO) - they own a number of windfarms in Canada.
    May 25, 2008. 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eight Wind Energy Related Stocks [View article]
    Great article. If you mention Clipper, then you need to include the 3 bigger, by market share, wind turbine producers: Vestas (VWSYF.PK), Gamesa (GCTAF.PK), and Nordex (NRDXF.pk). All three of these companies are great investments for the future. I own all 3. Gamesa and Nordex are 2 of my biggest holdings.
    May 25, 2008. 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Wind Beneath Trinity's Wings [View article]
    Wind energy stocks are going to be like the internet stocks of the late 90's. Seriously! Do your research and you will see that electric utilities are building a lot of wind farms. Why? Because they like the economics of wind. Trinity (TRN) is a great way to play wind. Other wind stocks that I own: Otter Tail (OTTR), Kaydon (KDN) (they make wind turbine bearings), and Zoltek (ZOLT) (they make carbon-fiber turbine blades).

Composite Technology (CPTC.OB) is a start-up wind turbine builder. As is AAER (AAE.V). If you are interested in speculative stocks, I think AAER is going to have a huge year.
    May 4, 2008. 11:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Long Ideas: Mitcham Industries, Key Technology and New Frontier Media [View article]
    Thanks for the write-up. I used to own Mitcham. I think 3D-seismic is a very interesting "Peak Oil" sector play. In a world with declining oil reserves, I think 3D-seismic companies will become very important. I currently own BOLT and OYOG. Do you have an opinion on either of these?

Also, I owned NOOF for a while (after reading Joel Greenblatt's "Little" book). The stock never made much progress while I owned it.
    Apr 30, 2008. 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bullish on Chinese Microcaps [View article]
    I am getting fed up with articles submitted by anonymous authors. I think China is a great investment opportunity, but I have had mostly bad experiences with Chinese microcaps. My general advice would be to never take any investing advice from an anonymous source.
    Apr 22, 2008. 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Broadwind on GE, Gamesa Wind Energy Deals [View article]
    BWEN is a very well run company, and I made some money on it in the past. The problem is that the shares are extremely expensive. The company has a market cap of 887mil and a revenue of only 29mil, according to yahoo finance. You can buy the 2 biggest wind turbine makers in the world, via the pink sheets: Vestas (VWSYF.pk), and Gamesa (GCTAF.pk). Each pink sheet share represents a European-traded share. These are 2 great companies that are doing some amazing things.

In the U.S. you can buy Trinity (TRN) - they have a PE around 7! Most of their business is building rail cars, but they also have a fast-growing wind tower business that is bigger than Broadwind's, and much cheaper.
    Apr 21, 2008. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MBIA Gets Moody's Top Rating, Pfizer Downgraded: Is This for Real? [View article]
    I think after the regulators, banks and ratings agencies got together and figured out there was no good solution to the monoline insurers' problems - they decided to do nothing at all, and hope the problem just goes away.
    Feb 27, 2008. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Case Shiller Reveals Across-the-Board Housing Market Declines [View article]
    I still see a lack of capitulation from investors. Simply put, investors are way too bullish. They still think every sell-off is a buying opportunity. The assumption is that things aren't as bad as they appear. If you agree, you should be buying stocks. I am more pessimistic.
    Feb 26, 2008. 08:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment