Barry Robbins

View Barry Robbins' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Running With The Bulls (Of Coal): Part I [View article]
    2 issues with NG:
    Nat gas leaks from pipelines and wells into the atmosphere. Methane traps a lot more greenhouse gas than CO2. This negates most of NG "clean" benefits over coal.
    Fracking for NG causes pollution of ground water. That is what I believe. I am also concerned about the enormous amounts of chemicals and polluted water that results from fracking.
    Environmentally I don't see any difference between NG and coal.
    Aug 15, 2012. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Monetary Elephant In The Room: Fed Debt Financing Charade [View article]
    Great article - Thanks.
    Jul 18, 2012. 01:12 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Crunch Time For Crops [View article]
    The dividend is not that big. They paid a larger first-time dividend to cover an extended period of time (from their IPO). I think the dividend will be around 8 or 9 percent going forward.
    Jul 17, 2012. 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Coal Companies To Avoid Due To Massive Debt [View article]
    If the United States was the only country in the world then I would agree with your conclusions. In the real world, India and China do not have enough coal to meet internal demand.
    Jul 10, 2012. 11:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Outlook For CVR Partners: Short-Term Negative - Long-Term Positive [View article]
    Does RNF have a similar IDR arraignment as TNH?
    Jun 14, 2012. 07:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Continuing The Debate On The EIA Natural Gas Weekly Updates [View article]
    Thanks for your detailed research into nat.gas/coal. Isn't the more important question though Chinese and Indian imports of coal? These 2 countries don't have enough water, and they don't have enough coal. Any news search for "Coal India" will probably include a link about the urgent need for coal imports.

Also, have you look at OXF or NRP? Thanks.
    Apr 30, 2012. 10:33 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top 3 Silver Miner Stocks [View article]
    I would agree. I am only truly comfortable owning mining companies with assets in Canada only. Plus, these Canadian mines can be bought without paying a premium. Brigus Gold [BRD] is one of the cheapest gold miners out there - AND insiders are buying back shares.

Apr 12, 2012. 09:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jaguar Mining: Q2 2012 Buyout Decision Could Offer 80% Upside [View article]
    My fear is that JAG tries a partnership on Gurupi with a royalty company, and then the terrible mgmt at JAG gets to keep their jobs and shareholders end up holding the bag.
    Mar 30, 2012. 10:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Report: Bottom Price Continues To Hold Despite Growing Glut, Winter Carryout Highest Ever [View article]
    My feeling is that it is a great time to buy the companies that consume large amount of natural gas - namely the fertilizer companies. I recently bought RNF and UAN. For RNF, nat gas is their major input cost.
    Mar 25, 2012. 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Junior Miner Could Generate Enough Cash To Take Itself Private In 3 Years [View article]
    Someone has to pay tax on the full profit from each ounce of silver sold. I am assuming that since Primero is paying it now, that that is per their agreement with Silver Wheaton. Would love to hear more info on this!
    Mar 25, 2012. 02:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If you look through their investor presentations, you will see that Sinaloa Graben has some amazing average grades (6.8 g/t)! One drill hole (Elia 8-285W) had 221 m length, 2.8 m width, at 1,491 g/t Silver & 15.9 g/t Gold. Pg.18 of Feb 29 presentation. I don't think these results are reflected in the stock price.
    Mar 23, 2012. 02:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rentech Is Waiting For An Activist Investor [View article]
    This is a great article, except you left out a key detail: Icahn and his attempted takeover of CVR Energy (CVI). CVI's response has been to sell shares on UAN (it's MLP nitrogen fertilizer business) and put together a big dividend to CVI shareholders.

I would think the Icahn would look at Rentech if his bid for CVI fails. I would be interested to see how CVI compares to RTK financially.
    Mar 21, 2012. 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rare Earths Bubble Is Coming Back [View article]
    Dacha Strategic Metals (DSM.v, DCHAF.pk) is the only company I know of that actually holds the physical rare earth metals (primarily heavies terbium and dysprosium). Most of these miners are YEARS away from production of heavies. Dacha also has a huge discount to NAV.

Honestly, miners that are years away from production have so many "unknowns", I can't understand why a sane investor would touch them - except that there is a whole army of stock promoters out there talking them up! Also, if there are no actual financial metrics to measure a stock by, then it is so much easier to sell the dream.
    Mar 19, 2012. 10:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Getting Close To Selling Platinum [View article]
    There are still so many short-term positive catalysts for platinum. The strike at Impala platinum results in 200k ounces fewer Pt supply. Also, Sprott has filed to create a physical platinum/palladium fund. A similar silver fund had a big positive effect on spot silver. I expect the same for platinum.
    Mar 14, 2012. 08:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Silver Wheaton Could Rise 20% In 3 Months [View article]
    I don't understand, now that everyone knows how great the streaming model is, how SLW continues to get these great returns. Also, the return on assets and return on equities is basically the same for SLW and PAAS, but the PE for SLW is 26, and for PAAS it is 7.
    Mar 10, 2012. 09:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment