Barry Robbins

View Barry Robbins' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Defend Against The China Blahs With Gold; Avoid Commodities [View article]
    I am very bullish on gold too, especially after seeing South Korea continuing to increase their central bank buying of gold. But your analysis should be taken further. The ghost cities in China have been around for a long time - I read stories about them in early 2009. So why would they be a problem now? I agree that China has massively misallocated money, but they almost have a billion people who work for dollars a day and are creating enormous wealth ongoing for investors. They also have an enormous savings rate. Some of the state-directed projects will actually be beneficial. They are the world's leader in new renewable energy projects.
    Dec 2 10:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Should Steer Clear Of South Africa [View article]
    I only invest in Canadian mining companies with Canadian mines. My feeling is that in Canada you avoid political insecurity, and you don't have to pay a premium for the miners.
    Nov 24 09:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Dividend Stock Analysis [View article]
    Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but MSFT would only pay additional taxes on the "difference". If the rate here is 28%, and they made the foreign profits and paid 25%, MSFT would only have to pay 3% tax here in the U.S. to repatriate the earnings.
    Nov 22 09:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is A Strong Buy From A Cash-Flow Perspective [View article]
    Also ruffdog, once Bill Gates and MSFT insiders reduce their ownership stake to less than 10%, index funds will need to increase their ownership in MSFT by 10%. And insiders are very close to 10%.
    Nov 22 07:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is A Strong Buy From A Cash-Flow Perspective [View article]
    I would definitely agree with Ruffdog. As much as I love google maps. Bing maps is better. especially the bird's eye view.

Regarding Ballmer, as an investor, I love the guy. You get a stock that has fantastic cash flows, increasing dividends, and a single digit PE. There are so many positives for MSFT right now. I think any "value" investor has to have some position in MSFT.
    Nov 22 07:24 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MSFT: King Of Cash Should Consider Dumping Some Businesses And Raising Its Dividend [View article]
    Very interesting ideas - hopefully management is considering these things. I think reducing the taxes on foreign profits is the main issue will MSFT's cash horde
    Nov 17 08:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Growth Stocks With Value Pricing [View article]
    Thanks for the interesting article. I bought KLAC after seeing it on the list, seeing the recent diverse insider buying, and the solid dividend. Microsoft cannot be ignored on the list either - basically the company is a monopoly, with a single digit PE and, dare I say, guaranteed dividend ahead. Also, MSFT is going to have a pop once insiders own less than 10% - this will trigger a re-weighting among index funds to buy an additional 10% of MSFT.
    Nov 12 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Gold And Silver Being Unwittingly 'Cornered'? [View article]
    It doesn't make sense to discuss a corner of gold based on annual production. You have to look at above-ground reserves. Consider that gold is never "used up", but simply "held" as money. GLD is a small % of above-ground reserves, and thus has a much smaller impact on gold's price. This is why gold is the best way to hold "sound" money. Gold's large reserve base makes it much harder (if not impossible) to manipulate.
    Nov 9 04:53 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Largest Holdings Of Greenlight Capital [View article]
    MSFT - once MSFT insiders ownership share goes below 10% (which it soon will because of Bill Gates' sales to fund his philanthropic activities), index funds will need to increase their ownership of MSFT by 10%. This is guaranteed to be a positive for MSFT share price.
    Nov 8 08:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 12 High-Yield Stocks That Could Double Dividend Payments [View article]
    For MSFT, a repatriation deal on foreign profits would mean a big future dividend payment. This company is basically a monopoly with a PE under 10, dividend over 3% and an enormous pile of cash - and it has underperformed the market.
    Nov 6 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • November's Low Price To Book Stocks Vs. Bankruptcy Risks [View article]
    I own KGJI, a gold jewelry producer in China. The ceo has bought shares a few months ago and they recently reaffirmed their guidance for 2011.
    Nov 6 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Screams Undervalued [View article]
    If you like Joel Greenblatt's "magic formula" for finding value investments, just go here and you will see MSFT at the top of the list:

Nov 2 04:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Response To Whitney Tilson's Netflix Flip-Flop [View article]
    NFLX uses AMZN infrastructure? AMZN has more cash than NFLX's market cap? hmmm...

I guess I am part of the 7% because there is no way I am giving up my streaming or dvd subscriptions.

In a shrinking economy, NFLX is cheap entertainment. Also, I have never had a single problem with the streaming service (thru Wii) or getting a DVD. I usually get the next DVD within 2 days. As a customer, I don't have a single complaint. Call me a simpleton, but that seems like the kind of company I want to invest in.
    Oct 27 01:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rally Ahead For Rare Earth Stocks? [View article]
    I like some of the rare earth miners, but they are all years away from producing the truly rare HREEs. Dacha Strategic Metals (DSM.v, DCHAF.pk) is basically a HREE etf, holding mostly terbium and dysprosium. They have an enormous discount to NAV. I have never seen a discount this big for a company that actually holds the physical metals. The NAV is $1.62 per share, and the shares are selling for around $0.58. The company is buying back shares, as are insiders.

Oct 21 10:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver Arbitrage Opportunity [View article]
    Also, Uranium Participation (U.to, URPTF.pk) has a big discount-to-NAV, around 20%. This company has a bigger market cap than Dacha and may be easier to trade.
    Oct 20 12:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment