Barry Robbins

View Barry Robbins' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Chinese Stocks Under Attack By Short-Sellers And Management Alike [View article]
    I think in a climate with so many doubts about the reality of these businesses, the best approach is to invest only in the companies with little to no debt. This would have helped you avoid Sinoforest. Mentioned above, I am long CMFO - it is a simple business (seafood snacks and algae drinks) and almost no debt.
    Dec 29, 2011. 09:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Using Momentum Indicators Would Have Tripled Gold Returns In 2011 [View article]
    I am a software developer, working on a web-site now that incorporates some of these indicators to give buy and sell signals. You can see some already at my site, http://Top10Traders.com. Just look on the right-hand side of the page.
    Dec 23, 2011. 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What If The Dow Were Measured In Gold? [View article]
    Great article. Just FYI, there isn't enough gold for each person on earth to get a thimble. A thimble contains 2 milliliters (mL). An olympic sized pool contains 2.5 million liters. With 7 billion people, you would need roughly 5.6 pools for each person to get a thimble.
    Dec 13, 2011. 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Questions To Ask Prior To Investing In Junior Rare Earth Companies [View article]
    Thanks for your very informed article on RE miners. Have you looked at Dacha Strategic Metals (DSM.v, DCHAF.pk)? They are bascially a physical HREE etf. They store mostly dysprosiuim and terbium in warehouses in South Korea and Singapore. They have an enormous discount to NAV.
    Dec 13, 2011. 09:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4 Gold Stocks That Beat Gold In 2011 [View article]
    As gold has been moving within a range, I would think precious metals investors would look at the big profit margins of many producers, and see some opportunities. When gold is moving up, why bother taking risk with the miners?
    Dec 12, 2011. 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 High Quality Companies To Buy, 4 To Avoid [View article]
    Thanks for the informative article. Do you follow Greenblatt's MagicFormulaInvesting.... It ranks companies based on return-on-capital and earnings-yield. KLAC comes up as one of the highest ranked stocks. I bought KLAC after seeing this ranking along with insider buying and a healthy dividend.

Fyi - I also enjoyed your very informative article on refiners. Investing in refiners really requires a whole set of specialized knowledge - probably not the best thing for part-time investors.
    Dec 6, 2011. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8 Basic Materials Stocks Seeing The Most Insider Buying [View article]
    If you are interested in mining juniors with a lot of insider buying, you can look at Victoria Gold, (VIT.v, VITFF.pk):

And Luna Gold (LGC.v, LGCUF.pk):

These links will bring you to a great site to follow Canadian insiders: CanadianInsider.com
    Dec 4, 2011. 06:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Research In Motion Deterioration Continue? [View article]
    I just bought into RIMM before the latest news knocked the stock down again. I think many investors tend to overplay a good investment. The gains on the short side, I believe, are over. Now we are getting into the area where bad news has less and less of an effect. This is what happens when a PE goes below 5. Then, the slightest positive rumor, not even REAL news, will send the stock rocketing higher. Long-term, I don't know, maybe RIMM is heading lower, but right now, for the next few months the stock will move up on the many rumors that will be coming...
    Dec 4, 2011. 05:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Defend Against The China Blahs With Gold; Avoid Commodities [View article]
    I am very bullish on gold too, especially after seeing South Korea continuing to increase their central bank buying of gold. But your analysis should be taken further. The ghost cities in China have been around for a long time - I read stories about them in early 2009. So why would they be a problem now? I agree that China has massively misallocated money, but they almost have a billion people who work for dollars a day and are creating enormous wealth ongoing for investors. They also have an enormous savings rate. Some of the state-directed projects will actually be beneficial. They are the world's leader in new renewable energy projects.
    Dec 2, 2011. 10:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Should Steer Clear Of South Africa [View article]
    I only invest in Canadian mining companies with Canadian mines. My feeling is that in Canada you avoid political insecurity, and you don't have to pay a premium for the miners.
    Nov 24, 2011. 09:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Dividend Stock Analysis [View article]
    Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but MSFT would only pay additional taxes on the "difference". If the rate here is 28%, and they made the foreign profits and paid 25%, MSFT would only have to pay 3% tax here in the U.S. to repatriate the earnings.
    Nov 22, 2011. 09:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is A Strong Buy From A Cash-Flow Perspective [View article]
    Also ruffdog, once Bill Gates and MSFT insiders reduce their ownership stake to less than 10%, index funds will need to increase their ownership in MSFT by 10%. And insiders are very close to 10%.
    Nov 22, 2011. 07:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is A Strong Buy From A Cash-Flow Perspective [View article]
    I would definitely agree with Ruffdog. As much as I love google maps. Bing maps is better. especially the bird's eye view.

Regarding Ballmer, as an investor, I love the guy. You get a stock that has fantastic cash flows, increasing dividends, and a single digit PE. There are so many positives for MSFT right now. I think any "value" investor has to have some position in MSFT.
    Nov 22, 2011. 07:24 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MSFT: King Of Cash Should Consider Dumping Some Businesses And Raising Its Dividend [View article]
    Very interesting ideas - hopefully management is considering these things. I think reducing the taxes on foreign profits is the main issue will MSFT's cash horde
    Nov 17, 2011. 08:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Growth Stocks With Value Pricing [View article]
    Thanks for the interesting article. I bought KLAC after seeing it on the list, seeing the recent diverse insider buying, and the solid dividend. Microsoft cannot be ignored on the list either - basically the company is a monopoly, with a single digit PE and, dare I say, guaranteed dividend ahead. Also, MSFT is going to have a pop once insiders own less than 10% - this will trigger a re-weighting among index funds to buy an additional 10% of MSFT.
    Nov 12, 2011. 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment