Barry Robbins

View Barry Robbins' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Two Ways to Profit From Rare Earth Elements Despite China's Stranglehold [View article]
    Rather than hold miners who are many years away from producing the metals, and may possibly not produce the most-needed rare earth metals, I would much rather hold the actual metals that are most in-demand. Dacha Capital (DSM.TO, DCHAF.PK) holds the physical rare earths - mostly dysprosium and terbium.
    Aug 17, 2011. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Platinum Cheaper Than Gold: A Rare Opportunity [View article]
    CEF is a great vehicle to invested in gold and silver - it is about 50/50 of each. Also, I believe CEF has better ownership verification than other ETFs like GLD, SLV. Here is my off-the-cuff percentages: gold (50%), silver (25%), platinum (15%), palladium (10%).
    Aug 10, 2011. 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stillwater Mining: Correlation to Palladium Disappearing as Boom Turns to Bust [View article]
    Any preferences between PALL and PPLT? I have been buying PPLT assuming that South Africa might have labor problems that would reduce platinum output.
    Aug 3, 2011. 07:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8 Severely Overvalued Stocks to Consider Shorting [View article]
    This is from Harbin's website: "Parent and Tianfu Investments have secured debt financing from China Development Bank Corporation Hong Kong Branch and affiliates of Abax to finance the transaction."

www.harbinelectric.com...
    Jul 29, 2011. 01:03 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kingold Jewelry: Kingold or Fools Gold? [View article]
    I think it is common knowledge by now that chinese companies don't report their full earnings to the SAIC - they are always less than the SEC reported numbers. I would think you should address why the CEO has been buying so many shares if the shares are so overvalued.
    Jul 29, 2011. 12:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Green Agriculture: What if It's Legitimate? [View article]
    I don't know which ones are the frauds. But I am buying the ones that make simple products, like snack foods and beverages (CMFO & ALN), gold jewelry (KGJI), industrial valves (VALV), packaging (CPGI) and plastic recycling (GPRC).
    Jul 20, 2011. 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Green Agriculture: What if It's Legitimate? [View article]
    I think the Chinese RTOs (that are not frauds) are extremely oversold. I don't like CGA or YONG because I don't believe that humic acid has any benefit for agriculture. I like the RTOs that are showing big insider purchases, like KGJI, SCEI or CPGI.
    Jul 20, 2011. 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Everything You Could Possibly Want to Know About Shengkai Innovations [View article]
    great article - thanks. I own VALV and have been looking at many other chinese RTOs that have been crushed over the past 6 months. Do you have any others you are looking at? Thanks again.
    Jul 15, 2011. 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Buying: 5 Recent CEO Buys of at Least $100K [View article]
    A few things that the KGJI CEO said that I found interesting: this is the only company that he owns. no other family member works for the company. the company's reported results in china match those in the U.S. I have looked at many different Chinese RTOs since the entire sector has sold off. KGJI, to me, is the most obviously oversold. Plus, I love the business, exclusively 24-carat gold - people in China are investing in gold.
    Jul 8, 2011. 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No One Saw the Sino-Forest Story Coming? [View article]
    You are assuming that Muddy Waters has uncovered a fraud, and proven their claims. They have only made allegations, some of which were just wrong, and showed a lack of overstanding of SinoForest's business. Are they claiming the amount of cash the company holds is fraudulent? Because the company now has $400mil more cash than market cap. Is the company's holding in separately-listed Greenheart also a fraud? Greenheart management is in on the Ponzi? All of this starts to be a bit hard to believe. After recently watching the Enron documentary "Smartest Guys in the Room", SinoForest has been very open in addressing the allegations. Bottom Line: Muddy Waters is taking advantage of anti-China sediment among U.S. investors.
    Jun 22, 2011. 03:23 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why China's Rare Earth Exports Really Matter [View article]
    If any of the rare earth miners were even REMOTELY close to producing heavy rare earths, then I would definitely be an investor. But none of them are. Lynas and Molycorp won't produce heavy rare earths - i.e. the ones where demand outstrips supply. The best way to invest in rare earths is Dacha (DCHAF, DSM.TO) - the company is basically a heavy rare-earth metals ETF - they store exclusively the heavy rare earths in South Korea.
    Jun 7, 2011. 04:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Set for Another Sustained Run in Silver [View article]
    I like silver alot more than SLW. My problem with SLW is this - I am not sure how their business is sustainable. Why would a silver explorer enter is a $4/ounce streaming deal with SLW now? They could get a much better deal elsewhere in the financial markets. Also, silver miners can buy their way out of these streaming deals with SLW, so that once the miner starts producing and making money, frequently they look to buy out SLW. This is what Aurcana did.
    Jun 1, 2011. 11:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quest Rare Minerals Best in Breed Among Junior Rare Earth Miners [View article]
    I believe some of the rare earth MINERS will be very profitable in 5 or 6 years. But I want to enjoy the price appreciation from rare earths right now. So I think the best way to invest for the short term is in Dacha Strategic Metals, DSM. They are basically a rare earth metals ETF. They store the metals in a warehouse in South Korea. The company has a huge discount to NAV. Most other similar metals ETFs have premiums. PSLV has 15% premium.
    May 27, 2011. 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rubicon Minerals: A 'Junior' Gold Mining Company Ready to Step Up [View article]
    I don't own RBY but have been looking into it. I am concerned that a lot of the big prospective gold mines are around 1 gram per ton. I think in a future scenario with much higher oil prices, high gold-grams-per-ton mines will be more highly valued. I also think that if gold really takes off, you will see a lot of gold mine nationalizations and increased taxes in Latin America. I have been focusing much more on Canada. With this in mind, you have to consider RBY, BRD, NXG, Detour, and others.
    May 14, 2011. 12:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Silver NAV Arbitrage Idea [View article]
    CEF, which is 53% Ag and 45% Au, has a bigger discount to NAV of 3.7%. But the KING of "discount to NAV" is Dacha Capital, DCHAF, which holds physical rare earth metals. Dacha has an incredible discount of around 35%.
    May 5, 2011. 08:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment