Bayesian Investing

View Bayesian Investing's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Are Dividend Growth Stocks Overvalued? [View article]
    Hi dunkmaster. Thanks for the comment. I am not falling all over myself to buy these companies at the moment but as I said, an investor could do a lot worse than pay a good price for a good company.
    Mar 9, 2012. 08:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Growth Stocks Overvalued? [View article]
    Hi aretailguy. Most high yield sectors are becoming expensive in my opinion. I would take a look at CSX, ESV, EC. These are higher beta stocks that wont enjoy the same smooth ride as the above companies but represent a good value and have the potential for significant dividend raises.
    Mar 9, 2012. 08:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 13 Biggest Losers That Could Make You The Biggest Winner [View article]
    Interesting article, thank you. I have been long SNC-Lavalin for a long time and picked up a few more shares after their 20% down day but am a pretty nervous shareholder right now!
    Mar 8, 2012. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Provident Energy Holders Get A Pay Raise [View article]
    For those of you looking at former Canadian Oil Trusts, may I suggest considering Baytex Energy (BTE)? The yield is a bit lower but they have been aggressively growing their income and dividend the past two years and delivered a substantial total return for their shareholders.
    Mar 6, 2012. 07:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AFP Provida: A Very Different Dividend Play [View article]
    Hi Stephen. Thank you for a good article highlighting a lesser known dividend stock. I personally own PVD as a play on the rising Chilean middle class. However, I have kept my position small as I struggle with valuating the company and am concerned with the company's unique risks.

I would like to do a DCF analysis on the company but have not found detailed enough financial information to make it feasible.
    Mar 4, 2012. 07:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • As 2 Railroad Stocks Derail, 1 Could Speed Ahead [View article]
    You are bearish on CNI because they are taking a long time negotiating a contract with a Chicago airport, shun UNP because of a single accident and then recommend CP because they gave a university a grant?

This is just bizarre investment advice...
    Mar 4, 2012. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8 Dividend Stocks Analysts Aren't Buying [View article]
    The 52 week trailing dividend yield of ESV is 2.4% and the forward yield based on today's price is 2.7%. Also, I am not sure if you could say analysts aren't buying the stock. Even after the Standpoint downgrade, according to Zack's Research, of all analysts reporting on the stock there are 17 that rank it as a "Strong Buy", 2 a "Buy", 3 a "Hold" and none a "Sell".
    Feb 29, 2012. 08:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Play Peak Cheap Oil: Looking For Yield And Growth In The Canadian Oil Sands [View article]
    Excellent comments. I agree that Pembina will be a slow but steady performer with a nice yield. Enbridge (ENB) trades on the NYSE and is a corporation, although they also have a subsidiary listed as an MLP in the United States.
    Feb 22, 2012. 09:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for the informative comment. My knowledge of U.S. brokers is only through second-hand information.
    Feb 22, 2012. 09:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    There are a few differences. For example, I worry about the margin compression seen at the majors like XOM over the last few years and fear it will get worse as oil exploration becomes more expensive in the future.
    Feb 22, 2012. 09:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Canada and the United States have signed a tax treaty where each country withholds a 15% tax rate on dividend earned in the other country. On both sides of the border this can be claimed as a foreign tax credit which will reduce your tax bill by an equivalent amount.

Dividends received in a retirement account (RRSP in Canada, IRA in the U.S.) are exempt from the 15% withholding tax.
    Feb 21, 2012. 11:23 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SU estimates their recoverable reserves at about 18 billion barrels of oil and are currently expanding production by about 10% per year. With those reserves SU can continue producing for over a century. They also have a no-fee OCP/DRIP through their transfer agent Computershare, if you are into such things.

CNQ has considerably smaller proven resources, around 7 billion barrels, but own an enormous stretch of oil-rich land. As an exploration company their known reserves keep expanding. In 2010 their reserve replacement rate was 340% -- that is, for every barrel of oil they produced, the company found three barrels in new reserves. They also have a more balanced production, with about a third of their production each coming from heavy oil, light oil and NGLs.
    Feb 21, 2012. 11:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 High-Yield Stocks With Impressive Earnings Growth [View article]
    Hi nomobailouts. PEG and EPS growth are different metrics. For myself, I rejected CTCM after doing my due diligence precisely because of concerns about their financials.
    Dec 13, 2011. 11:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Careful With High Yielding Stocks [View article]
    Hi Red Wing. I presented the "bear case" and Stocklvr presented the "bull case" for OHI.

Their free cash flow is certainly adequate to cover the current dividend. If you think they will continue to be able to do so after next month's 13 some percent cut in funding to skilled nursing facilities, then the market has overreacted and OHI is definitely a buy. If not, the market is correct to drive down the stock steeply to price in a distribution cut.

The point of the article was not to pick which side was right but rather to warn investors to look into that fundamental question as opposed to rushing into the stock because of a high dividend yield.
    Dec 2, 2011. 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fastest Growing MLPs For Yield Plus Growth [View article]
    As I mentioned in the article, the table was the top ten large cap MLPs sorted by projected EPS growth. BPL was #11on the list.
    Dec 1, 2011. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment