Bayesian Investing

View Bayesian Investing's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Fastest Growing MLPs For Yield Plus Growth [View article]
    Hi Doctorft. The downright incestuous ownership structure of ETP and ETE could easily lead to confusion. However, I believe you are mistaken about ETE's distribution yield. Here is their distribution history:
    Nov 2, 2011 $0.625000
    Aug 3, 2011 $0.625000
    May 4, 2011 $0.560000
    Feb 3, 2011 $0.540000

Which leads to a trailing 52 week yield of about 6.8% based on today's stock price.
    Dec 1, 2011. 10:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fastest Growing MLPs For Yield Plus Growth [View article]
    Hi Lizahuang. I appreciate your comment and you are certainly correct that the EPS metric for MLPs may be significantly lowered due to non-cash costs such as depreciation and, moreover, that a negative EPS growth rate may simply be a reflection of this. However, this can also be a sign of reduced profitability; thus, EPS only tells part of the story.

It was not the point of this article to avoid MLPs with low or negative EPS growth but rather to suggest some MLPs with high EPS growth. I would argue that improving EPS is still a valid measure of improved profitability for MLPs.
    Nov 30, 2011. 09:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Railroad Companies To Buy, 2 To Hold [View article]
    Great article, thank you. I am bullish on railroad myself and I believe CNI and CSX are the best options right now.
    Nov 29, 2011. 07:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Railroads Offer Tremendous Potential For Dividend Lovers. Here Are 2 To Consider [View article]
    Hi Harvey7132. The original price I used was split adjusted. CNI had split three times: in 2-for-1 in1999, 3-for-2 in 2004 and 2-1 in 2006.
    Nov 19, 2011. 08:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi MP173. Thank you for your comment about pricing power, this is one of the main reasons I am so bullish on this industry. They are a fundamental industry with a very high barrier to entry and operate asin duopolies: CP/CNI in the North, CSX/NSC in the East, etc. They have the ability to push on higher costs due to changes in the PPI.
    Nov 18, 2011. 08:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi abec: I disagree with your comments about it being too late to buy railroad stocks. CNI, for example, has grown EPS by an average of over 12% per year for 15 years now and is projected to continue to do so for the next five years.

It would have been a great time to buy CNI in 2009...just like it would have been for pretty much any other stock.
    Nov 18, 2011. 08:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • "We are not out of ammunition," says NY Fed chief Bill Dudley, speaking at West Point. Expecting growth of 2.75% in 2012 with "significant downside risks," Dudley suggests what a QE3 would look like: The purchase of even more long-term assets with a particular focus on the MBS market.  [View news story]
    I believe Shakespeare said it best: 'it was a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing'...
    Nov 17, 2011. 08:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Gain Great Performance With Small-Cap, Emerging Market High Yielders [View article]
    I agree: these are distressed stocks that have taken massive capital losses this year. Common sense tells you that if a stock is yielding 48%, there is something seriously wrong.
    Nov 16, 2011. 06:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Important Observations About Global Dividend Yields [View article]
    Hi Tom. I generally choose individual stocks over ETFs. Case in point would be EWA with its heavy weighting towards financials which I don't want right now.

Having said that, consider the new etf from Guggenheim: ABCS. High dividend yield and owns many companies I like.
    Nov 15, 2011. 07:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Stocks For The Commodities Comeback [View article]
    Great article. I am long DE and POT and will take a closer look at ADM. Thank you for writing.
    Nov 12, 2011. 11:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Anheuser-Busch Inbev: Investors, Drink Up [View article]
    Brazil's beer market is growing much more rapidly, so I like Bud's subsidiary ABV better -- higher yield and stronger capital growth.

However, a good article: I will take a closer look at BUD.
    Nov 12, 2011. 08:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rail Traffic Continues To Log Gains [View article]
    Good article. I am also bullish on railroads and am long in the two best in my opinion: CNI and CSX.
    Nov 12, 2011. 07:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Keystone Quandary [View article]
    Bad call by the State Department today: a crass political decision that will likely hasten Canada's move to exploring other export markets.
    Nov 11, 2011. 08:25 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Plays On Emerging-Market Infrastructure [View article]
    I am glad you liked the article. I am also long BIP and have been pleased with their performance.
    Nov 5, 2011. 08:48 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In Search Of Explosive Dividend Growth [View article]
    Hi umtully1. The point of my articles on Seeking Alpha is to encourage dividend investors to expand their horizons a bit so I'm pleased I could suggest two new stocks for you to consider.

By the numbers, I prefer THI. First, they generate a tonne of free cash flow as you can see by the huge dividend increases and also the large share buybacks (8% of outstanding shares is very significant). In price terms the stock has also significantly out performed SBUX the last five years.

Starbucks has been a great growth story but has now saturated the domestic market. SBUX is now a complete play on their ability to grow in emerging markets -- especially China and India. I am skeptical that their business model will work as well in the lower-income and more price sensitive Asian markets.

That is just my opinion and I admittedly know little about the habits of Asian consumers. If I am wrong and they can grab a significant market share then the growth opportunities are enormous.

SBUX is also more economically sensitive; as a low-priced store, THI does well even in down turns. Despite complete market saturation in Canada they have continued to increase EPS through increased in-store sales and cost efficiencies.

Essentially, I consider Tim Hortons to be a safe stock that generates enormous amounts of cash. I prefer that to betting on a risky growth strategy that I am not even sure how to analyze.
    Nov 4, 2011. 10:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment