Bear Fight

View Bear Fight's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is The Stock Market Cheap? [View article]
    D Short or anyone else. Is there survivorship bias in the shiller numbers? E.g. does the ten year number include GM's big loss in 2008? If so is there a way to exlude this to get a better picture. Please advise....
    May 1, 2012. 10:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Yield Mortgage REITs Are Still A Buy Despite Stagnant Housing Market [View article]
    Good article. I think investors can benefit from non agencies. If you can buy around book I like MFA and TWO. http://seekingalpha.co...
    May 1, 2012. 10:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Deeper Look At American Capital Mortgage [View article]
    the first chart should give you a decent idea.
    Apr 18, 2012. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes AGNC Different? [View article]
    I submitted an article on MTGE. The gist is that it is predominately agency. My guess is that the mix will shift over time as the manager spots opps in non-agency. Currently - it looks and feels a lot like AGNC. So beware of doubling down effectively on AGNC....
    Apr 17, 2012. 08:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes AGNC Different? [View article]
    Thanks. Appreciate the positive comment.
    Apr 17, 2012. 08:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes AGNC Different? [View article]
    M REIT investors should listen in to Jeff Gundlach's web conference tomorrow (tuesday). http://bit.ly/HJ1Eud

Full Disclosure: I am long DBL.
    Apr 16, 2012. 10:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes AGNC Different? [View article]
    Have not spent much time with it, but I will take a look. Thanks for the comment.
    Apr 16, 2012. 10:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Generate 8% Yield On These Blue Chip Names [View article]
    BuyandHold - thanks for the comment. I understand your concerns. I really think that with some simple education the most conservative investors can leverage options in their portfolio. My guess is that your friend lost a lot of money from selling naked options (either puts or calls). My guess is that they got enamored with the idea of collecting premium for "free" from selling out of the money calls and puts. These guys probably said these options will never exercise.... and they did.

Selling naked is an easy way to get stream rolled. The industry term is picking up nickels in front of a stream roller. You have to find the right strategy for you. The covered call strategy is pretty conservative. Investors can lose on "opportunity cost" from the stock going much higher while you capped the upside.

Best of Luck. I suggest you really questioning your friend on their strategy and picking up a book to educate yourself because everyone can benefit.
    Apr 15, 2012. 09:56 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs To Capitalize On Energy Trends [View article]
    I think these provide decent hedges against inflation. http://seekingalpha.co...
    Apr 13, 2012. 05:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bullish On Hybrid mREIT MFA Financial [View article]
    Just because a REIT like nly is focused on fixed does not mean they will automatically get steamrolled. Need to think about the rate hedges they have purchased.
    Apr 13, 2012. 02:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bullish On Hybrid mREIT MFA Financial [View article]
    Hts is agency focused. For agency I like nly best. But think investors should hold a diversified portfolio. These guys all have different strategies.
    Apr 13, 2012. 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Agency: A Booming Big Dividend REIT [View article]
    My two favorite picks are MFA (non agency) and NLY (agency).
    Apr 12, 2012. 10:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Dividend Retirement Stocks [View article]
    Thank you.
    Apr 12, 2012. 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly: Monster Dividend In Danger Of An Imminent Cut [View article]
    I disagree with the statements here. The yld curve is still attractive. These reits will do well until there is a sustained recovery.
    Apr 12, 2012. 09:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 REITs To Profit From In A Highly Volatile Market [View article]
    I like NLY and MFA. But own AGNC and TWO as well.

Apr 11, 2012. 04:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment