Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • AMD Is Poorly Positioned In Tablets And Smartphones [View article]
    Or how about

"AMD made bad choices and now must live with them."
    Feb 19, 2015. 11:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RadioShack defaults on debt; NYSE suspends trading [View news story]
    And this is why you have to be extremely careful investing in turnarounds. Especially when the death spiral continues for several years with absolutely NO hint of improvement.
    Feb 3, 2015. 01:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Windows Strategy: Near-Term Pain, Good Over The Long Haul [View article]
    I installed it on my Surface 3 too. I found it to not be quite ready for tablet use yet, so I reverted.

On my desktop, though, I totally am digging it.
    Feb 1, 2015. 02:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Falters In Attempt To Join The Big Three Cloud Service Providers [View article]
    " But Microsoft's Azure excelled (no pun intended)."

Nice pun, I see it and raise you this:

"To succeed, IBM needs to become more SaaS-y."
    Jan 25, 2015. 10:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft details Windows 10, promises free upgrades [View news story]
    They'd have to be stupid to do a subscription based model. Nobody I've seen outside of this particular thread seems to think that.
    Jan 22, 2015. 07:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft details Windows 10, promises free upgrades [View news story]
    Because most pcs with windows XP have enough driver errors going from XP to 8.1, to say nothing of 10.
    Jan 21, 2015. 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Meet your new movie studio [View news story]
    I notice how things have shifted, with your comments being generally more liked than Gary J's.
    Jan 19, 2015. 10:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: An $81 Windows 8.1 Smartphone Is Another Bullet Against Android [View article]
    I find it interesting that Sonic CD came out during the Windows Phone 7 era and its the number 2 paid game app. Definitely says something about its quality and Sonic's staying power. (It's a damn fine game on Windows Phone too. Didn't think the controls would work that well, but they actually do. I haven't found another platformer that works as well on mobile without resorting to endless runner tactics).
    Jan 19, 2015. 03:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Meet your new movie studio [View news story]
    This could work out well for them, IF they can come up with 12 movies a year that people want to see.

That's a pretty big if, though. Lots of movies bomb even when it seems like a sure thing. I suspect Amazon's efforts are going to be more budgeted like a Tyler Perry movie than the Avengers, but a nonprofitable company like Amazon can't exactly absorb a bunch of bombs.
    Jan 19, 2015. 03:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Mario Draghi Put A Floor Under Oil? [View article]
    I'd like to offer this title to any author who wants to use it (and it can be applied to a lot of events):

Sorry, Mario Draghi, your princess is in another castle.
    Jan 19, 2015. 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • WSJ: RadioShack prepping bankruptcy filing [View news story]
    Can't say I'm even remotely surprised. What I'm curious about: will someone try to buy and rebrand them? What COULD they buy and rebrand them as?
    Jan 14, 2015. 11:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nintendo exits Brazil, blames tariffs [View news story]
    Evidently Nintendo doesn't think it's worth setting up factories to make their consoles locally, the way Microsoft and Sony do.
    Jan 14, 2015. 09:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Everything Has Changed: Oil, Saudi Arabia, And The End Of OPEC [View article]
    I wonder what the Saudis are going to use as their backup plan for an oil-less economy. They definitely have enough desert to make solar energy a go, and having Mecca and Medina gives them a billion potential tourists worldwide.

Will they try to invest in technology? Being a middleman between Europe and Asia in trade? I'd love to see their backup plan, given how much of their economy IS oil.
    Jan 12, 2015. 10:42 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon.com Sees Used Diapers In More Ways Than One [View article]
    Huh. Paulo, looking at the Electronics list, it looks like the unlocked Fire Phone has gotten up to #5 on the list. What do you make of that?
    Jan 10, 2015. 04:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon.com Sees Used Diapers In More Ways Than One [View article]
    "It can succeed in everything."

Fire Phone.

(Drops mic, walks off stage).
    Jan 10, 2015. 04:30 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment