Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Russia hikes interest rate to 17% in attempt to halt ruble's plunge [View news story]
    Assuming they don't default. And assuming those rubles are worth anything in four years.

High interest rates exist for a reason.
    Dec 15, 2014. 07:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Is Oracle's Growth Going To Come From? [View article]
    As an MSFT shareholder, this makes me glad they've ignored the call to abandon Xbox and other consumer focused items to do nothing but enterprise.
    Dec 14, 2014. 11:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google's DoubleClick tops ad quality rankings [View news story]
    Wow, all that despite about half of Google's ads being seen by bots instead of people!
    Dec 11, 2014. 01:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • More headaches at Sony Pictures over sophisticated hack [View news story]
    I'm curious what North Korea would want with this data. Unless it's a test run for runs on government systems.
    Dec 2, 2014. 11:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Black Friday Win With Xbox One A Piece Of Welcome News [View article]
    Plus Xbox Live Gold. Plus the fact that it gets Microsoft's brand into places where it might not be otherwise.

(Example: I used to work at a store that sold X-Boxes. I remember the day the iPhone 5S launched, and the people came across the street with said new phones to check out the preview of the X-Box One and seemed legitimately excited).
    Dec 2, 2014. 01:28 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Tobacco Launches A 'Safer' Cigarette, It Won't Stem The Decline [View article]
    I've followed him for two years and he's always disclosed those small positions in that portfolio.
    Nov 23, 2014. 07:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • XBox One Sales Boost A Catalyst For AMD [View article]
    So if they sold, say, 3 million, we're looking at less than 50 million GROSS REVENUE? Before paying the foundry?

Yikes. I hope that's not true, or else that's a terrible deal for AMD.
    Nov 19, 2014. 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • XBox One Sales Boost A Catalyst For AMD [View article]
    What's the margin they earn on Xbox One chips?
    Nov 17, 2014. 08:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surprise contraction in Japanese GDP [View news story]
    Is this really surprise? Every indication I read was that the huge tax hike killed retail sales.
    Nov 16, 2014. 10:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Groupon Is In The Early Stages Of A Multi-Year Growth Phase [View article]
    Why yes, yes I did. Oops. My bad.
    Nov 14, 2014. 09:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buffett saving a fortune in taxes on Duracell deal [View news story]
    I think they're more claiming that he's somehow hypocritical for criticizing the US tax code while navigating it like a champion.
    Nov 14, 2014. 12:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Groupon Is In The Early Stages Of A Multi-Year Growth Phase [View article]
    Lesson learned: every single company is vulnerable to people nipping at their heels. I think Google and Microsoft is a war that is going to be written about for decades to come, just because it's the ultimate match of cool and popular with the customers vs implacable and popular with enterprise. It's just fascinating to watch.

(As an investor, Microsoft treats shareholders better, but that won't decide the war).
    Nov 13, 2014. 08:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • YouTube paid music service to see test launch next week [View news story]
    I think that Google's gonna struggle with anything involving the words "YouTube" and "Pay." Paying for stuff isn't in the DNA of Google and its core audience.
    Nov 13, 2014. 12:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Microsoft's Mobile Strategy [View article]
    I think that the huge variety of devices was Nokia trying to 1) be all things to all consumers and 2) Microsoft attempting to recreate the sheer variety of devices available to consumers in the Android ecosystem by leveraging their big Windows Phone partner. I think item 2 is somewhat important, but they might be able to step away from it now that you have a swarm of low and medium end devices based on their reference design coming out worldwide. We'll just have to see.
    Nov 8, 2014. 10:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Shorting The Yen: The Closest Thing To A 'Risk-Free' Trade To Close 2014 [View article]
    You've been doing this trade for a few years now. How has that worked out for you?

(Not being facetious. I don't really follow currency, so I'm legitimately curious.)
    Nov 5, 2014. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment