Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Japan's Keynesian Demise: A Cautionary Tale For Our Times [View article]
    I think the other factor is that Japan's shifting demographics have made it hard to make a meaningful recovery in general. I mean, when your country is purchasing more adult diapers than baby diapers, it's a little hard to grow real output.
    Aug 16 01:33 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: The Fire Phone Flops Like A Dying Fish [View article]
    I played around with one of the phones at AT&T the other day. I found the interface to be a bit unintuitive, but every new phone's gonna have a learning curve. No, what I want to mention was the state of the floor model. There were two. One was doing just fine, looked nice and brand new. Its neighbor, on the other hand, was just covered in small scratches across its screen. I wasn't sure what to make of this; it almost looked like someone had taken a knife to it.
    Aug 11 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2 Concerns About General Electric's Synchrony Spin-Off [View article]
    That right there was exactly why I sold as soon as that news came out. I would have held both parts of a spinoff, but I wasn't going to choose one or the other.
    Jul 30 06:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerson Radio: Update, Going Neutral [View article]
    At the very least, congrats on being willing to adjust your thesis based on the facts. Some people really have issues with that.
    Jun 29 01:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Price-Sensitive Are Amazon.com's Customers? A Tale Of Two Tablets [View article]
    What I notice is that the Kindle Phone is currently at #8 in that screenshot you provided, though it's slipped since then. Pre-order bump, I suppose.
    Jun 22 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fred Hickey Is Short IBM [View instapost]
    After reading Cringely's "Decline and Fall of IBM," I can see why.
    Jun 15 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Relativity Media preps for IPO [View news story]
    The Studio that brought us Movie 43!

... I'll pass.
    Jun 14 01:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Chubb Group A Safe Bet Or Risky Business? [View article]
    I'd never heard of Chubb before, but it certainly looks like it's worth doing my homework on. Thanks for the article.
    Jun 12 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Is Amazon's Smartphone A Game Changer? [View article]
    Should I read that with some sarcasm?
    Jun 5 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Is Amazon's Smartphone A Game Changer? [View article]
    Care to give some details? I'm curious about that.
    Jun 5 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Is Amazon's Smartphone A Game Changer? [View article]
    If it's like the Kindle Fire HD, it'll be Bing.
    Jun 5 12:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The BlackBerry Z3 Is Another Gimmick [View article]
    I agree with your bearishness on Blackberry, but comparing the Z3 with the iPhone 5s makes no sense. The proper comparison point for the Z3 is the Moto E or the Nokia Lumia 520 because (newsflash) the developing markets eat those phones up because many consumers there can't AFFORD the iPhone 5s. That was, in fact, Blackberry's error LAST year- they didn't realize that their area of strength was in markets where the Z10 and Q10, priced like they were iPhones, were much less compelling than legacy BB7 devices because of that pricing.

I personally agree that it's too little too late for BBRY, but it's still an irrelevant comparison.
    Jun 5 12:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Is Amazon's Smartphone A Game Changer? [View article]
    One thing I'll point out is that Amazon has been fully willing to sell Kindle Fires at Best Buy. I know this, having bought one as a gift for my dad last year. Why would Amazon care where the customer bought it from? Amazon sells everything at no-margin or low-margin, they hope to make up the money on apps, e-books, Amazon Prime, music, etc. If anything, it mystifies me sometimes that Best Buy continues to even sell Kindles; they should care about driving people into their biggest competitor's ecosystem, not the other way around.
    Jun 5 12:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Samsung and Barnes & Noble to partner on co-branded tablet [View news story]
    Huh. Veeeery interesting.

It'd presumably have access to Nook's relatively small stable of apps and the Google Play store (since the current set does).

Attaching Samsung's brand to it might help them with getting people to adopt it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.
    Jun 5 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora -3.1% following Amazon report [View news story]
    Ouch. Looks like this type of service is getting comodotized and fast.
    May 30 01:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment