Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:

• Apple: Sifting iPhone Sales Data [View article]
    I usually find enough hypercritical articles of both of those companies to make me think that every company has its detractors and goalpost movers.
    Nov 13, 2015. 02:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Board Approves Quarterly Cash Dividend; Authorizes $4 Billion for Stock Repurchase [View article]
    Oh yeah, why bother investing in the business when you can keep trying the same thing you've been doing for a decade? You don't want to grow revenues or, gasp, profit or any of that stodgy 20th century thinking. No no no, grow the EPS by taking on debt to buy worthless pieces of paper (or bits of data, I suppose) to play mathematical games!

I seriously am starting to think that, as much as I hate regulation, some rules about how much stock a company can buy back in a year would force these companies to at least THINK about investing it back in the business.
    Oct 27, 2015. 01:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD jumps on Microsoft buyout rumor [View news story]
    This nonsense again?
    Sep 13, 2015. 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    They've been trimming fat for a year. Is there any fat left to trim?
    May 29, 2015. 12:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    Windows Phone would have made some sense, since their enterprise customers mostly use Windows for other devices.
    May 29, 2015. 03:55 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    Blackberry 10 was launched in 2013 with a global user base about twice as large as it is now in 2015. How many chances do they get?
    May 29, 2015. 03:48 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    Exactly. Someone's investment in an unpopular brand won't magically make it popular.
    May 29, 2015. 03:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    I'll say that while I haven't written any articles for a while, and none on Blackberry, AND I don't have a position on it, I like to occasionally look in on BBRY articles to see the debate. I tend to find the shorts way more convincing since, even if Blackberry isn't DEAD yet, its market share and revenue have been consistently plummeting. There's been no groundswell of support for any Blackberry products in ages and Thorsten Heinz and his colleagues made a number of baffling mistakes that really hurt the brand at the launch of BB10. I don't foresee how they could turn it around at this point, at least in hardware; even if they did what people said ages ago and adopted Android, they'd be competing in a saturated Android handset market that even the almighty Samsung is starting to lose.

I'll also say that as a rule, I find that people resort to conspiracy when the facts have abandoned them.
    May 29, 2015. 03:46 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    JC Penny has different dynamics. As long as it can get a person into its store or to its website, and they see something they like for a price they are willing to pay, they'll buy it. Bringing back their frequent sales increases foot traffic and online traffic, changing their product mix to something more enticing makes people more willing to give them money and so on. While retail is a hard business, if you sell it at a reasonable price and people are aware of it, they will come (unless you're Sears). Plus, many JC Penny stores are anchor stores at malls, so it's minimal effort for someone already at the mall to wander in and see what's interesting.

Blackberry's products are different. To REALLY make profit, they have to sell phones (I'm ignoring software and services for the moment). These phones are long term commitments that someone has to be willing to make. Blackberry's big issues are all related to how the smartphone market has progressed, and there isn't a single trend working in Blackberry's favor. Phones like the Blackberry Leap compete against cheap Android and Windows phones that both offer ties to larger ecosystems, and these phones are cheaper and don't use 4 year old chips. The Passport is an interesting beast, but if you walk into an AT&T, it's up against the iPhone and a swarm of high end Android devices. It gets lost in the shuffle, and many Android players (Samsung, HTC, etc) are having a hard go of it even with access to the Google Play store due to the sheer volume of competition. Also with the iPhone and Android app stores, you are pretty much guaranteed that any app made is available for it.

Blackberry is being competed with from all sides, often by companies like Microsoft that are willing to buy marketshare with unprofitable phones. They don't have access to many apps that users want due to a small user base that can't entice most developers. They stand out if you look at them side by side with an iPhone or a Galaxy, but many are designed to appeal to people who already own Blackberries, and they are apparently not different in ways that most customers find enticing, or else you'd be reading about surprising sellouts of the Classic.
    May 29, 2015. 03:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    That's a bit like saying, "There must be something to this climate change denial, there are more and more articles attacking it!"
    May 29, 2015. 03:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    People are finding evidence that supports the conclusion of Blackberry's decline and eventual demise if these numbers don't change.
    May 29, 2015. 03:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    Innovation is awesome, but if nobody finds out about it, it's not going to get anywhere.
    May 29, 2015. 03:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: The Ineptness Continues [View article]
    If M$ means Microsoft, I have no clue what Blackberry has to offer them besides some security software and a practically dead smartphone brand. I mean, people say "QNIX," but with their efforts to get Windows 10 on EVERYTHING, supporting and promoting the supposedly infinitely valuable QNIX seems like a distraction from that strategy.
    May 29, 2015. 03:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Is History [View article]
    I've been reading that the worst is behind Blackberry since late 2012. It hasn't quite gone that way. I tend to think that the author makes a lot of good points, and his charts show that Chen has managed to slow down the rate of decline, which I think is a pretty big accomplishment in itself.

I'm not a short, for the record. I just calls em like I sees 'em.
    May 26, 2015. 07:43 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry, T-Mobile Reunion Will Be A Catalyst For Both Companies [View article]
    I guess we'll see how many people actually BUY the phones.
    May 24, 2015. 08:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment