Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Earnings Preview: BlackBerry Q2 2015 [View article]
    What kind of battery life do you get?
    Sep 19 07:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The $1 Billion CFO Quiz And Other Developments [View article]
    One thing that the whole Fire Phone debacle has taught me is that any argument about a product's success based on its place in the Amazon Best Seller list has some flawed premises. Here's why.

The first thing that I'd note is that you don't have to go to Amazon to get the Fire Phone. I can walk into my local AT&T and grab one, and I can also get them off of AT&T's web site. This assumes that it isn't available at any of AT&T's partners, like Best Buy (which I can't be bothered to look up right now.)

The reason I bring this all up is that it would be generous to say that the Fire Phone has sold 100K units at this point. Let's also assume that Amazon is pushing it way harder than AT&T is (though every AT&T I've been to has had a big sign about it, so they're making some effort). So let's say that Amazon is selling 80% of the Fire Phones. This would mean that 80K units in about two months is enough to ping pong a product to the very top and very bottom, back and forth, of the Electronics Top 100 list.

On the whole, for the largest online retailer period, this strikes me as being a surprisingly small volume, considering how many iPhones, Samsung Galaxies, etc are sold in a typical period.

As an aside, I remember catching the Sprint version of one of LG's Android Flagships sitting across the cell phone best seller list on Amazon once. Considering Sprint and LG's respective market shares, that makes me all the more suspicious of the bestseller list's efficacy.
    Sep 15 11:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Low-Cost Business Mac: PC Implications [View article]
    This is true; it is the main article series of yours that I remember.
    Sep 8 10:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Low-Cost Business Mac: PC Implications [View article]
    Not to be mean, but your past speculations about the future of technology haven't been especially prescient. I recall you were expecting a few years back that Blackberry 10, Android, iOS and Windows Phone would all be commanding roughly the same market share by now. This has clearly not happened.
    Sep 8 08:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter testing "Buy" button [View news story]
    It sounds like Twitter is simply acting as the middleman, and groups like Home Depot are handling the heavy lifting.
    Sep 8 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: The Twitch Acquisition Is, For Now, Highly Irrelevant [View article]
    What I detect about Amazon, especially with the Twitch acquisition, is that they just don't have an identity. Amazon has gone a little insane. It seems like if Bezos can put an Amazon logo on something, he will sell it... at a loss.
    Aug 30 06:22 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Japan's Keynesian Demise: A Cautionary Tale For Our Times [View article]
    I think the other factor is that Japan's shifting demographics have made it hard to make a meaningful recovery in general. I mean, when your country is purchasing more adult diapers than baby diapers, it's a little hard to grow real output.
    Aug 16 01:33 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: The Fire Phone Flops Like A Dying Fish [View article]
    I played around with one of the phones at AT&T the other day. I found the interface to be a bit unintuitive, but every new phone's gonna have a learning curve. No, what I want to mention was the state of the floor model. There were two. One was doing just fine, looked nice and brand new. Its neighbor, on the other hand, was just covered in small scratches across its screen. I wasn't sure what to make of this; it almost looked like someone had taken a knife to it.
    Aug 11 03:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My 2 Concerns About General Electric's Synchrony Spin-Off [View article]
    That right there was exactly why I sold as soon as that news came out. I would have held both parts of a spinoff, but I wasn't going to choose one or the other.
    Jul 30 06:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerson Radio: Update, Going Neutral [View article]
    At the very least, congrats on being willing to adjust your thesis based on the facts. Some people really have issues with that.
    Jun 29 01:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Price-Sensitive Are Amazon.com's Customers? A Tale Of Two Tablets [View article]
    What I notice is that the Kindle Phone is currently at #8 in that screenshot you provided, though it's slipped since then. Pre-order bump, I suppose.
    Jun 22 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fred Hickey Is Short IBM [View instapost]
    After reading Cringely's "Decline and Fall of IBM," I can see why.
    Jun 15 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Relativity Media preps for IPO [View news story]
    The Studio that brought us Movie 43!

... I'll pass.
    Jun 14 01:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Chubb Group A Safe Bet Or Risky Business? [View article]
    I'd never heard of Chubb before, but it certainly looks like it's worth doing my homework on. Thanks for the article.
    Jun 12 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Today's Market: Is Amazon's Smartphone A Game Changer? [View article]
    Should I read that with some sarcasm?
    Jun 5 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment