Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • AMD Q1: On The Ropes Yet Again [View article]
    I'd ask when, realistically, AMD HASN'T been on the ropes the last few years.
    Apr 17, 2015. 06:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Pre-Order Sellout: Have The Pundits Underestimated Apple Again? [View article]
    While the watch could go on to be successful, I've seen too many noted flop products sell out at launch to really make anything of it. Take the Blackberry Z10 phone, where this site had lots of articles about great launches with longish lines at locations in England and Indonesia. And we all know how well that phone did in the long run.

As someone with a Microsoft Band, though, I definitely agree that the "how useful are wearables" question is overblown. Good article overall, even though I question how useful initial sellout is to determining how successful a product will be.
    Apr 12, 2015. 05:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Amazon's Dash Button Will Flop [View article]
    I could see it being used in an office or other such environment where some supply can be ordered as soon as someone notices it's running low. But yeah, you're right to point out that it's VERY price insensitive.
    Apr 1, 2015. 02:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft launches $499 Surface 3 tablet [View news story]
    Have you used a netbook lately? Even last gen atom chips combined with an SSD yield a surprisingly good experience.
    Mar 31, 2015. 03:36 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft launches $499 Surface 3 tablet [View news story]
    I've occasionally gotten mine to around the 9 hour mark, but that was with the screen turned down all the way, backlighting on the keyboard turned off, and doing very basic things (word processing, light web browsing, etc). So it's technically true, but most of the time I'm in the 4-7 hour range, depending on what I'md oing.
    Mar 31, 2015. 03:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft launches $499 Surface 3 tablet [View news story]
    64 gigs for the same price Apple charges for one with 16 gigs. Well played, Microsoft.
    Mar 31, 2015. 01:13 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft launches $499 Surface 3 tablet [View news story]
    Correction: the Surface 3 doesn't come with its pen included. That's an add on.
    Mar 31, 2015. 01:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CenturyLink sets offering of $500M in 10-year notes [View news story]
    With as low as interest rates are now, I'd expect it to be at a lower rate.
    Mar 12, 2015. 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Reasons Why AMD Will Be $10 By 2017 [View article]
    The current batch of AMD powered game consoles (Xbox One and PS4) launched in 2013. Year 6 of the generation would be 2019, not 2017.
    Mar 7, 2015. 06:49 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 salesforce.com Mysteries [View article]
    If Enron is having financial problems, why would they buy the rights to naming a stadium?

(note: not saying CRM is on the level of Enron. I'm just pointing out that companies in financial trouble will still do that kind of thing for PR purposes).
    Mar 4, 2015. 11:45 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 salesforce.com Mysteries [View article]
    Since the future is unknown, it isn't unreasonable to look at the past to get some idea of how the future might turn out under certain circumstances (heck, it's why we study history). If a business shows itself consistently unprofitable with a given strategy and mix of products and services, I think we are justified in questioning what will change in the future.

Example: I set up a business where I sell dollar bills for 75 cents. I always have willing customers, but I'm always losing money. However, I keep up with things through volume of sales (I had a net loss, but I sold 15 billion dollar bills last quarter! Look at that revenue!), issuing new stock shares and taking debt and convince people that selling 75 cents on the dollar is a new and exciting business opportunity of the future, pointing to my large number of happy customers.

In that scenario, if I keep going down the same path, I will always lose at least 25 cents per sale. My only way to become profitable is to find new businesses to enter, change my prices, develop greater efficiency, find a supply of dollar bills at 50 cents apiece, etc. Thus, looking through the rear view mirror is an excellent way to see how the strategies of salesforce.com and Amazon will turn out five years down the line.

The only thing you can say about Paulo's analysis is that often the stocks have gone the opposite direction. This is not because anything he's said has been wrong, but because people have been blinded by the hype around these stocks and continued willingness of analysts to pump them. Counting on this is not investment, but speculation, as he said a moment ago.

So it's less that he doesn't understand this type of investment as he rejects it as illusory and based more on mass investor psychology than fundamentals, if he doesn't mind me putting words in his mouth.
    Mar 3, 2015. 05:50 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Poorly Positioned In Tablets And Smartphones [View article]
    Or how about

"AMD made bad choices and now must live with them."
    Feb 19, 2015. 11:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RadioShack defaults on debt; NYSE suspends trading [View news story]
    And this is why you have to be extremely careful investing in turnarounds. Especially when the death spiral continues for several years with absolutely NO hint of improvement.
    Feb 3, 2015. 01:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Windows Strategy: Near-Term Pain, Good Over The Long Haul [View article]
    I installed it on my Surface 3 too. I found it to not be quite ready for tablet use yet, so I reverted.

On my desktop, though, I totally am digging it.
    Feb 1, 2015. 02:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Falters In Attempt To Join The Big Three Cloud Service Providers [View article]
    " But Microsoft's Azure excelled (no pun intended)."

Nice pun, I see it and raise you this:

"To succeed, IBM needs to become more SaaS-y."
    Jan 25, 2015. 10:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment