Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Amazon.com Is Doing Its Very Best To Increase Earnings [View article]
    Just out of curiosity, what's your source for the HDX performing poorly?
    Apr 18 05:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will AMD Finally Surprise Us? [View article]
    I forget whose rule it was, but I once read an observation that if an article's title ended in a question mark, the answer is usually "no." I've found it to be a pretty accurate rule. We'll see if AMD breaks it.
    Apr 12 02:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PC shipments fall less than expected; IDC, Gartner differ on how much [View news story]
    I wonder if the discrepancy is because they count different items as PCs versus Tablets. Go look up the Dell XPS 18 and try to tell me that it fits cleanly into the Desktop or the Tablet category. I imagine that, Lenovo Yogas, Surface Pro 2's and the like resulted in some rather philosophical discussions.

Not that I'm calling either of their methodologies into question, but different groups of professionals will come to different conclusions, and that's okay.
    Apr 9 07:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Procter & Gamble sells well-known pet brands to Mars [View news story]
    Mars is on my list of great companies I wish would just go public already.
    Apr 9 12:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hewlett-Packard: Stronger Tablet And Phablet Sales Predicted, Price Target Hiked To $36 [View article]
    I'll admit that my only hesitation about your thesis is the whole AMD thing. I've played around with many AMD budget devices over the years, and my general reaction has always been "man, this thing's slow" or "wow, this thing's buggy." Considering how demanding any games worth the title are, that makes me take a "wait and see" attitude before declaring that Mullins is the next big thing.
    Apr 5 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Mills: Significant Price Appreciation Key Feature For Bullish Thesis [View article]
    Thanks for the answer. Long GIS!
    Apr 4 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sales are divided into US, International and Other.

Are they selling Cheerios to Martians now?

But in all seriousness, I am curious about what the Other is.
    Apr 4 12:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Nokia Phones That Can Steal Market Share From Samsung [View article]
    I can see the logic in what you're saying, though I don't get the statements about the physical keyboards. The general "meh" that the Blackberry Q10 was met with by the marketplace, and my own experience working for a store that sells smart phones, lead me to think that it isn't an especially widespread demand, especially with onscreen keyboards having improved as much as they have.

Now an optional keyboard attachment? Sure. I can see selling a few of those.
    Apr 3 01:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry core loss not as bad as feared [View news story]
    Yikes, down 64% from last year. Then again, I suppose they didn't launch any new phones this year, so it makes sense.
    Mar 28 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bloomberg: Unilever's $2B Ragu attracting host of suitors [View news story]
    Hope of a turnaround? People know the name, and a new improved version could catch on.
    Mar 24 01:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bloomberg: Unilever's $2B Ragu attracting host of suitors [View news story]
    When I read that the first time, I almost believed it was an industry term, as in "revenue generated by pasta products." Silly me.
    Mar 23 08:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hormel Foods: Dividend Growth To Envy [View article]
    Hm, I wouldn't have looked at them due to the low dividend rate, but you definitely make a compelling case. I'd love to wake up 10 years from now to realize that my initial 1.6ish yield was many times that in yield on cost, and they definitely have more room to grow their payout ratio than one of my other stocks, General Mills.
    Mar 23 08:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Love My 'Magic Pants' And My Partners Wear Them Proudly [View article]
    Heh. Without having read the prior article, I thought this was a reference to some sort of girdle/slimming product. Glad to see dividends defended again. I'm in my late 20's, and writings on this site convinced me that focusing on dividends and their growth really takes a lot of the stress out of life, compared to feeling every tiny fluctuation in the stock price as a reason to act. So you're doing the Lord's work here.
    Mar 19 04:28 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife receives notice of FTC inquiry [View news story]
    He certainly made a detailed case for it. I have no position myself, but I thought he made some sense. If Herbalife is above board, at the very least the world can put this drama behind it.
    Mar 12 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Out Of Bitcoin Now [View article]
    Good luck. I suspect it will end very badly for you, but I wish you well nonetheless.
    Feb 28 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment