Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Microsoft Is Breaking Out [View article]
    I heartily agree. I'd rather they have to (gasp) pay taxes then take on debt to do the same thing that their actual money in hand could do. I swear, some of these tech companies treat their retained earnings the way Viking kings treated their hordes.
    Apr 30 05:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America Looks ... Intriguing [View article]
    Another nice one. I definitely agree that bank stocks aren't for everyone. For myself, the closest I'm willing to get to that area is my holdings in GE.
    Apr 30 12:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Alert: Big-Cap Stocks With Massive Insider Selling [View article]
    I can't really fault Gates for wanting to lock in his gains. That's less bearishness and more prudence. For example, if I'd bought Microsoft at its 2008-9 lows in the 16s, then I might well have sold at 26 so as to realize a sure gain. I'm bullish on Microsoft, but I'm getting seriously tempted to sell for the same reasons.
    Apr 30 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    That's an excellent point. It's really praise for how important Office is that it's gotten so much focus.
    Apr 30 12:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    Very interesting, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic.
    Apr 29 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Valuation Is Not Rational [View article]
    I agree. Unfortunately, the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. Apple has been very appealing from a valuation perspective from its high all the way down to its recent lows. Mr. Market hates them now, ever since they didn't go to 1000. He's like a jilted lover who now wants revenge.
    Apr 29 05:36 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    Oh definitely. The trick isn't to merge or anything. It's to have complimentary services. For instance, Office on IOS and not Android, Bing as the default on IOS, bring iTunes to Windows RT as a store within a store, etc.

Not that every one of those suggestions is a huge winner, mind you. They're meant as possible examples, not a specific roadmap. (Though Bing as the default on every iPhone and iPad would be a huge deal for Microsoft and a possible blow to Google, seeing as Google makes more money off of iOS users than Android users).
    Apr 29 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    That's an excellent point. I wonder if Apple would be open to cutting them a deal of some sort, seeing as how I increasingly view them as potential "Frenemies" in the war against Google.
    Apr 29 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Common Myth About Shale Oil And GDP [View article]
    I am legtimatley surprised. I guess it shows that even if you don't move the needle on the macro level, there's still lots of profits to be made by individual companies.
    Apr 29 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    I think they should make it available for iOS, but leave out Android. They're directly competing with Android for the "general" part of the mobile market, and (in my experience) Android itself doesn't have a lot of enthusiasts- rather, it's the actual phone or tablet makers themselves. People like Samsung, don't care quite as much about it running Android. If Windows Phones and Tablets are compelling enough, many Android users would probably switch. Meanwhile, Apple has a moat of people who only buy them and their projects.
    Apr 29 04:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Windows 8 Tablets Are Already Displacing iPads With More To Come [View article]
    I second this. My Vista laptops were lousy. My Windows 7 laptop has had issues, but those were my own fault (you can't blame Microsoft if I click on something I shouldn't have and get a virus).
    Apr 28 12:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I have a Surface RT. Though, to be fair, if you're on a stock website commenting on an article about Microsoft, the odds of running into a Surface user is much greater than it is in the general population.

Though, now that I think about it, I don't see iPads very often out in public. I'm much more likely to see a Kindle Fire, which shows how the use pattern is different.
    Apr 26 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not to mention that they're, from what I've read, less than a fraction of a percent of the PC market. If you think that Windows Phone 8 or the Surface are insignificant flops, then the Chromebook is a double-flop.
    Apr 26 03:55 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I expect it to dent Android more because of the behavioral factors that many Apple users have that you mentioned. Plus, Microsoft is making it hard and expensive, via patents, for OEMs to make Android products. If Windows tablets take off and can do more than Android tablets, then the rationale for many OEMs to make Android tablets fades away. I'm not sure that these conditions will happen in the near term, but it's a possibility.
    Apr 26 03:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'd expect more of Microsoft's share to come at the expense of Google, especially once they start making 8 inch tablets.
    Apr 26 03:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment