Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Footsteps Of Buffett Portfolio: An Introduction [View article]
    I'll be following you to see how this goes.
    May 9, 2013. 02:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Chooses The Nook-Ular Option [View article]
    Good thoughts. I'd say that their planned Microsoft-e-readers will be produced in small numbers, with the focus being on Nook being in its app form, rather than as a hardware platform.

Thanks for commenting.
    May 9, 2013. 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft (MSFT) is offering $1B for Nook Media's (BKS) e-reader, tablet, and e-book ops (but not its college bookstore arm), TechCrunch reports. If true, the valuation assigned to NM is well below the $1.7B given when Microsoft bought a 17.6% stake (diluted to 16.8% by Pearson's investment) in April '12. Documents indicate NM (exc. the college ops) is expected to post FY13 (ended in April) revenue of $1.09B (-10% Y/Y) and an EBITDA loss of $360M, plans to discontinue its tablet line (makes sense, given market share trends), and will focus on content sales. Is such a business worth $1B? Regardless, Barnes & Noble ($1.06B market cap) should see a pop on the report. (FY13 warning) (FQ3 results[View news story]
    I heartily endorse this acquisition!
    May 9, 2013. 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Chooses The Nook-Ular Option [View article]
    Because they wouldn't see any money from the sales on a local Kindle app, short of a revenue sharing agreement with Amazon (and Amazon doesn't exactly have a lot of revenue to share). The Nook store can now be the default e-book choice on every Windows 8 device, rather than being tied to also-ran tablets; it can come preinstalled, front and center along with their Windows 8 app, video and music stores. E-book sales themselves are pretty much pure profit. It's a significant ecosystem builder and a way to monetize users on other mobile platforms.
    May 9, 2013. 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: Dispelling Attacks And Myths [View article]
    It's important to remember that personally seeing something in the wild isn't the same as it not being out there. Market shares vary from region to region, and despite what you hear, data isn't the plural of anecdote.

Also, I think that if Microsoft buys out Blackberry, it's a strict monopolistic move to shut them down.
    May 9, 2013. 01:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Chooses The Nook-Ular Option [View article]
    Agreed. Those revenues are a consolation prize and a strategic tool to try and convince OEMs to stick with Windows (since they don't get the full benefits of their "free" OS), not a worthy goal in and of themselves.

Thanks for commenting!
    May 9, 2013. 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Chooses The Nook-Ular Option [View article]
    I'm not sure a total rebranding of RT wouldn't add to the confusion, and I'm not sure how necessary RT will be going forward (I've written an article on the subject. RT is secure, but you lose access to older applications, it's not any cheaper, and Intel's new chips may render it totally unnecessary to get good battery life in a tablet form).

However, I COULD see Microsoft continuing to go forward with Windows RT (with OEMs most likely abandoning it) and making smaller RT based tablets under the Nook name, and changing their Surface line to being nothing but Intel based tablets. If the two lines are branded totally differently, that'd help clear up the current Windows 8/RT confusion. So it'd be Nook RT, Nook RT+ and the like.

Thanks for the comment!
    May 9, 2013. 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barnes & Noble And Google: New Edge Or Trojan Horse? [View article]
    One consideration I'd factor into the Kindle/Nook book question is how many users will never even consider looking for alternate e-book source, the same way that an iTunes user won't necessarily go comparison shopping on Amazon's music store.

Also, agreed, it's too bad your article got delayed. You looked at this from a POV I left out of my own article on the subject (Amazon vs BKS) and you made some good points.
    May 9, 2013. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: Dispelling Attacks And Myths [View article]
    Sounds sensible to me.
    May 9, 2013. 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Chooses The Nook-Ular Option [View article]
    I think it was a mix of issues. Having been a Nook enthusiast since 2011 (I bought my own, then bought two as gifts for my sister and best friend respectively), the Nook book store is smaller, and the books were often slightly more expensive. Nook tablets themselves were often as cheap, or cheaper, than the Amazon competition, which was a problem for BKS. Amazon can (supposedly) afford to sell tablets at a loss. Barnes & Noble was able to sell a (much smaller) number of tablets at a loss, but they weren't able to make it up with content sales like they'd hoped.

As for who takes the hit, I'd say no one, since e-books are free to sell after the initial setup, I'd imagine that publishers make more bottom line profit than they do on regular books, even if sales suffer on the topline. Even better for the publisher, an e-book can't be sold used at the college bookstore.

And thanks for commenting!
    May 9, 2013. 11:44 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Chooses The Nook-Ular Option [View article]
    They make tons of money off of Android manufacturers for their patents, which they wouldn't receive from an in-house Android tablet, and Google makes more once the tablet starts being used, so there is SOME loss from Nook going full Android. But I agree with it being win win win. I'm not sure if the Nook name is strong enough to be worth attaching to their smaller tablets, but it's definitely an option.

Thanks for commenting!
    May 9, 2013. 11:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: Dispelling Attacks And Myths [View article]
    The article you're refuting had such a dumb title, I couldn't bring myself to read it. Thanks for saving me the trouble, and giving a well written refutation. You just earned yourself a follower.
    May 9, 2013. 11:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barnes & Noble's Google Play Puts The Ball In Microsoft's Court [View article]
    They definitely surrendered any chance they had of an independent app store.
    May 8, 2013. 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Affluent Democrats Boosting The Economy? [View article]
    I'd definitely buy it. That growing confidence also probably played a role in the reelection.
    May 8, 2013. 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Turnaround Underway As Lumia 521 Sells Out In Wal-Mart [View article]
    I mean an acceptable replacement for the demographic that the Asha phones targets.

(I have a Lumia phone and I agree they're nifty).
    May 8, 2013. 01:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment