Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Q2 Results Are Not The Story, But Guidance Will Be [View article]
    It makes me think, "man, I'm glad I'm invested in nice, diversified Microsoft." They aren't reliant on their hardware sales, though Surfaces are a nice bonus. (This comment written on my Surface RT).
    Apr 22 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do You Believe In The 12 Rules Of Goldbuggery? [View article]
    I'm more or less a goldhater (mostly because of whose arguments I find more persuasive), but I find your attitude very reasonable.
    Apr 21 06:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Do You Believe In The 12 Rules Of Goldbuggery? [View article]
    I have encountered a few people who believe number 11.
    Apr 21 03:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Advantage Over Gold [View article]
    Except you still have to find a "greater fool" to sell it to. The people who bought in at 1900 haven't exactly preserved their wealth.
    Apr 20 03:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: The Bears Are Wrong [View article]
    I think you mean Intel OR ARM, not AMD. But I definitely agree with you.
    Apr 19 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: The Bears Are Wrong [View article]
    Apple's really the only tablet company I can think of that actually reports their real numbers in absolute numbers, as opposed to terms like "record breaking sales" and the like.
    Apr 19 04:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Continues To Show Resilience [View article]
    That's what I figured. It's a good article aside from that. And I definitely agree that they need to push Windows Phone harder. (Disclosure, long MSFT, owner of a Lumia 822).
    Apr 19 04:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Continues To Show Resilience [View article]
    I think there's a typo in the section on cash and cash equivalents. Your numbers don't add up.
    Apr 19 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hewlett-Packard's Lack Of Growth Bringing The Bears Close [View article]
    I have a couple of tablets personally, but they can't do anything a PC can do. They're good for watching videos, reading ebooks and maybe editing documents that already exist, but outside of Windows 8 tablets, there's nothing that I'd want to write anything longer than an e-mail on, and definitely nothing that can play higher end computer games.
    Apr 19 03:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Needs To Step Up Its Pace [View article]
    You're right, having more entry level devices at start would have been better. Though I can only imagine the reviews if they'd gone that route.

"Nokia's flagship phone is an underpowered mess! Sure, it's cheap, but you get what you pay for with a slow processor and a tiny 4 inch screen."

They shouldn't have had the 920 AT&T exclusive. With that apparent barrier, I understand why they came out with the 820 at the same time: to give T-Mobile and Verizon customers something of quality. The issue is, that strategy shows the US focus that you rightly decry.

(I own a Lumia 822 and am long MSFT.)
    Apr 19 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Needs To Step Up Its Pace [View article]
    That ship has sailed. Microsoft has invested too much into integrating WP8 into Windows to start over with the still unproven BB10. If Microsoft were to buy them out, they'd probably do it just to pillage the stuff they wanted and then close the doors to take the number three spot by default.
    Apr 19 02:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: More Resilient Than Given Credit For [View article]
    Here here! Those are pretty much my thoughts on the stock.
    Apr 19 02:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Yield On Cost Matters To Long Term Investors [View article]
    I find that my best defense against playing the stock price is how small my positions are. I'd be tempted to play price games to get profits buy more shares at a lower price later, except that when your stake in General Electric is only 20 shares, it's hard to have it appreciate meaningfully versus fees. So I just sit back and reinvest my dividends, and that's AOK by me.
    Apr 19 01:21 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Analysis: U.S. [View article]
    Good article, but I do have a suggestion. For number 4, I think the phrasing is a bit off, since the payroll tax cut was revoked. The way you put it, it sounded like there was a new payroll tax cut, and that caused decreased demand, which would be head scratching.
    Apr 19 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: The Bears Are Wrong [View article]
    He's pretty consistently said that RT makes sense for small form factors. He says it's useless for large screen sizes and laptops, which I think is overstating it (currently typing this on a Surface RT), but he makes a good case.
    Apr 19 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment