Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel, Microsoft, And AMD: It Gets Worse Before It Gets Better [View article]
    This is one of those days where I'm glad I'm in MSFT and INTC long term and have the dividend. It makes days like today much more bearable. I can say, "Wait for the good W8 tablets and new Intel chips. You aren't a day trader, calm down."
    Apr 11 08:53 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ParkerVision Vs. Qualcomm: Where Is The Upside? [View article]
    It really seems astounding that a company like Parkervision exists. Even companies that I think are kept afloat mostly by spin and cult of personality around the leader typically actually MAKE something! For a company that's been around since the 90s, this is... unconscionable.
    Apr 10 02:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Dying? I Don't Think So [View article]
    I think he's better off not doing price targets, because (to put on my Benjamin Graham hat for a second here) price is determined by Mr. Market's irrational reactions to the mix of hard data and rumors that come out every day, and not any sort of formula that make predictions anything more than a hunch. I've seem lots of price targets on MSFT, ranging from the low 20s to 36. Nobody I saw pegged them to be at 28 and change at this point. There's no point in those types of targets because who can guess what analyst is going to say what tomorrow? What matters is the underlying health of the business, and that's where Ashraf focuses most of his efforts. He shorts ARMH because he sees a stock overpriced compared to the health of its business, and he's long Intel because he sees the opposite. If the business is healthy, the stock will eventually follow suit, and for a dividend paying stock, we're being paid to wait.
    Apr 8 02:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Dying? I Don't Think So [View article]
    I can see the logic, but I think that'd be a case of diworseification. GE is a very special case, and the world can only support so many unfocussed conglomerates; I think Microsoft is well off sticking with the general principle of "Software and Services, with some devices thrown in for good measure."

Personally speaking, if I had Steve Balmer's ear, I'd tell him to keep pushing his own platforms (Windows 8/Windows Phone/RT), but make it very hard for anyone to use ANY operating system without Microsoft being involved somehow. That'd mean making more purchases like Skype (which is now, from what I've read, raking in 2 billion per year). So that'd mean making some acquisitions of products everyone already uses. These could include things like (just to rattle off a few that are in the category of major cross platform services lots of people use, not necessarily the most profitable or best value) Pandora, Twitter, Netflix, Hulu, Zygna, Nook (for the digital bookstore, not to keep manufacturing the devices), etc. Just two or three of those companies, once purchased, would pretty much mean that just about every iOS or Android tablet and cell phone in the United States would have some sort of Microsoft service running on it, which would help keep them in peoples' minds, even if they've stopped having a Windows computer. Heck, that's sort of the strategy they envisioned with the X-Box: conquer the living room for the sake of market share, and let profitability happen later. In this case, it'd be conquering mobile devices in general.
    Apr 8 02:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Dying? I Don't Think So [View article]
    I think RT is never going to be anything more than a cheap add-on for Windows 8 users... which is perfectly okay.
    Apr 7 07:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Dying? I Don't Think So [View article]
    Aw maaaaan. Great article, but you stole my thunder- I'd been considering writing an article about Windows RT, and now when I suggest a cheap license and smaller devices as part of the solution, I'll have to cite you.

Ah well. I don't mind citing you.
    Apr 7 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Intel Sell Its Own Phones? [View article]
    I'd be satisfied with something with the computing power of a Surface Pro in the size of my Surface RT with a 7-8 hour batter life. If they could manage what you're saying... to quote a meme, "Shut up and take my money!"
    Apr 6 01:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Status Update [View article]
    So both had reviews before the phone was officially out? Interesting.
    Apr 5 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Status Update [View article]
    I noticed that a few of the reviews on Verizon were posted before the phones were available. I would tend to assume that pre-launch reviews would also be really positive, and possibly doubled-up reviews from AT&T customers (or possibly enthusiasts who just wanted to get the word out).
    Apr 5 04:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • DRIP Or Rebalance? 25-Year Portfolio Analysis To Answer The Question [View article]
    That strikes me as being hard to model.
    Apr 5 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peter Lynch's 'Buy What You Know' Is Just The First Step [View article]
    Except Walmart is pretty consistently profitable, while with Amazon, it's touch and go quarter to quarter.
    Apr 5 12:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does AMZN Stand For Amazing? [View article]
    That's the conclusion I'd reached. I'd just wondered about it from the point of view of the talk of Barnes and Noble and Nook possibly splitting off. I honestly think that Amazon is a house of cards, at least at current valuations, so these types of thought experiments interest me.

The Kindle is the terminal for their digital contents, but my thought was, "do the digital contents and physical contents synergize with each other?" After all, if you buy an e-book, you probably won't buy that book as a paperback, and vice versa. The conclusion I reached was that without the Amazon store to promote it, Kindle would just be another Android tablet maker, and they couldn't count on their front and center position on the site to make up for the loss leader approach. They'd basically be a smaller version of Apple with a gated version of Android as their OS.
    Apr 5 12:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Growth Portfolio 2nd Quarter Update [View article]
    Ah, okay. I didn't read your last article, but I can see the logic in that. If I had the spare investing money, I'd have a NOK position for the same reason.
    Apr 4 02:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Growth Portfolio 2nd Quarter Update [View article]
    Why is Nokia in your dividend growth portfolio when they cut their dividend? I like Nokia too, but a dividend isn't on the list of things to like about them anymore.
    Apr 4 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Peter Lynch's 'Buy What You Know' Is Just The First Step [View article]
    I think that understanding what you're buying is probably the most important thing you can do. If you can't sum up what your company does in a few sentences with simple words, you should probably stay out of it (unless you're an expert in the field, naturally).
    Apr 4 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment