Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    Decide to invent time travel, then decide to have your future self start mailing your past self royalty checks.

If the royalty checks don't start showing up after a week or so, you may have time-paradoxed yourself into having never invented time travel, which is one of the risks of the game.
    Jan 29 04:52 PM | 83 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    Good luck to them; I don't think they've left themselves a lot of wiggle room for emergencies, late life illness or inflation.
    Jan 29 04:46 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bitcoin 2.0 Will Be A Virtual Casino Chip, Gift Card Or Swiss Bank Account [View article]
    Here's what I find myself thinking: don't we already kind of have what you're talking about in the form of reloadable gift cards?

For instance, I have a Starbucks gift card that was given to me as a gift. I reload it periodically because they got me in on a rewards system. I can reload it at any Starbucks at any time. The next step up would be for Visa or MasterCard to come out with inexpensive, reloadable "universal gift cards," (which I know already exist, but at fees way too high to be useful as anything but a one off gift). This may in fact already exist, from vague memories of a radio commercial I recall hearing.

Which makes me think that the Bitcoin is a solution in search of a problem. You get excitement around it because it's a system that the technologically oriented can get involved in and because it seems taboo because it's calling itself a currency and it's underground. Amacoins or Visacoins wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

Mind, I also don't get the point of "investing" in gold or silver either, so maybe the appeal of Bitcoin is one of those things I won't ever get.
    Jan 28 01:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Myths 16-20 [View article]
    You make Modern Portfolio Theory sound like an absurd exercise.
    Jan 28 02:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Northern Iron Now Worth Less Than $21, Will Fall To $0 In 15 Months [View article]
    I was looking into this one last year. I'm glad I did some digging, since this is the very DEFINITION of "too good to be true."
    Jan 5 01:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Yes, Things Can Get Worse [View article]
    Just like it did in November, October, September, August...
    Dec 27 04:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will 2014 Be The Year Of Wal-Mart? [View article]
    One good/bad quality that Walmart seems to have (in my opinion) is its infamy, and I'd be curious about your thoughts on this. In the same way that McDonalds is the poster boy for poor nutrition, Walmart is the first one always mentioned when it comes to poor treatment of employees, even though other operations like Sears, Target, etc are guilty of many of the same sins.

The bad part is that, naturally, this bad reputation would have a tendency to drive away customers. Mitigating this is the fact that many of Walmart's core customer base can't necessarily afford to go upscale for their conscience.

The good part about this dislike is that Walmart-bashing news stories could conceivably result in good short term buying opportunities, as well as keeping the stock price depressed below what it would be if the company was widely loved the way that, say, Amazon is.

It occurs to me that as I've been laying out this thought, I've talked myself into Walmart bull-hood.
    Dec 25 07:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Yes, Things Can Get Worse [View article]
    I hear people talk about that, but my understanding is that BBM is a free download with no current monetization.
    Dec 23 02:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surface 2 Tablets Are Likely To Gain Traction In 2014, Displacing Other Tablets [View article]
    One correction: your chart showing relative app store numbers shows app stores for phones, not for tablets. There is a difference in this case.
    Dec 17 04:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will QNX Be The Savior Of BlackBerry? [View article]
    That's what people were saying at every single price point BBRY has sat at for the last year or so.
    Dec 10 11:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • East Africa bloc signs deal to form single currency [View news story]
    Because it isn't the 19th century.
    Dec 1 03:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 2.32% Yield On Eaton May Go Higher [View article]
    I was pleasantly surprised to see any coverage of ETN whatsoever. Thanks for the info.
    Nov 14 05:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Overlooked Factor In The BlackBerry Saga [View article]
    I'm a Blackberry Bear and I still found this article well thought out. There probably aren't a lot of companies that Canada would let buy out BBRY, since most buyers would probably just shut down large portions of the company and keep what they wanted.
    Nov 6 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Advantage Of BlackBerry Pessimism [View article]
    Since I focus on dividend growth investing, BBRY is ruled out by virtue of not having a dividend. I also feel that the animal spirits of the market are having their way with the stock right now, and I have no skill in predicting what the animals spirits will do.

Good luck though. I've been wrong before.
    Nov 6 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Advantage Of BlackBerry Pessimism [View article]
    I admire your persistence, and I can see the logic in your position. I wouldn't touch BBRY with a 10 foot pole, but that's mostly due my own investing style. I wish you good luck, though I don't share your optimism.
    Nov 6 01:47 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment