Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Whither Windows RT: Should Microsoft Let It Wither? [View article]
    Thanks for commenting! I will admit, I hadn't considered non-tablet applications of the OS, though I would personally expect a Windows-Watch to be based on Windows Phone.

I think that iOS has the advantage of not looking identical to OSX, and Apple isn't selling iOS-books that look identical to Macbooks.
    May 2 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is Breaking Out [View article]
    I should note that I enjoy your articles, and I meant to come across as playful, not attacking.
    May 1 03:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    I have a Windows Phone, and I can use those programs decently on it. It's mainly useful for simple spreadsheets (I count calories and that makes it easy to keep track across multiple devices, via Skydrive), making simple edits to Word documents and viewing PowerPoint and Word documents.
    May 1 01:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Insider Alert: Big-Cap Stocks With Massive Insider Selling [View article]
    I can't really fault Gates for wanting to lock in his gains. That's less bearishness and more prudence. For example, if I'd bought Microsoft at its 2008-9 lows in the 16s, then I might well have sold at 26 so as to realize a sure gain. I'm bullish on Microsoft, but I'm getting seriously tempted to sell for the same reasons.
    Apr 30 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    That's an excellent point. It's really praise for how important Office is that it's gotten so much focus.
    Apr 30 12:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    Very interesting, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this topic.
    Apr 29 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    Oh definitely. The trick isn't to merge or anything. It's to have complimentary services. For instance, Office on IOS and not Android, Bing as the default on IOS, bring iTunes to Windows RT as a store within a store, etc.

Not that every one of those suggestions is a huge winner, mind you. They're meant as possible examples, not a specific roadmap. (Though Bing as the default on every iPhone and iPad would be a huge deal for Microsoft and a possible blow to Google, seeing as Google makes more money off of iOS users than Android users).
    Apr 29 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Office: Better To Switch Than Fight? [View article]
    That's an excellent point. I wonder if Apple would be open to cutting them a deal of some sort, seeing as how I increasingly view them as potential "Frenemies" in the war against Google.
    Apr 29 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Common Myth About Shale Oil And GDP [View article]
    I am legtimatley surprised. I guess it shows that even if you don't move the needle on the macro level, there's still lots of profits to be made by individual companies.
    Apr 29 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Windows 8 Tablets Are Already Displacing iPads With More To Come [View article]
    I have a Surface RT. Though, to be fair, if you're on a stock website commenting on an article about Microsoft, the odds of running into a Surface user is much greater than it is in the general population.

Though, now that I think about it, I don't see iPads very often out in public. I'm much more likely to see a Kindle Fire, which shows how the use pattern is different.
    Apr 26 05:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Conquest Of The Tablets World Is Well Under Way [View article]
    It's combined RT and 8 market share total.
    Apr 25 04:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barbarians At The Gate For Microsoft, But History Will Not Repeat [View article]
    We all make mistakes. Though with the 822, you might want to hold off and wait for them to get their version of the 920.
    Apr 24 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    There are situations where it might be advantageous at the consumer level. For instance, if I split the cost with people (roommates, family members, etc) over the long run, the cost per computer (about 20 per year, split 5 ways) wouldn't be too bad. In fact, it'd hardly be noticeable.
    Apr 23 02:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3-D Printing Could Lead To A U.S. Manufacturing Resurgence [View article]
    One typo: you said Alluding when you meant Eluding.
    Apr 23 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Country Analysis: China [View article]
    How much of that growth is propped up by useless building (that is, the ghost cities)? That alone makes me nervous.
    Apr 23 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment