Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Nokia's Turnaround Underway As Lumia 521 Sells Out In Wal-Mart [View article]
    I'd say it'd go the other way around. Once there are enough believers in the company, the stock price will go up.
    May 7, 2013. 02:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes General Electric Different Now [View article]
    The parallels between GE and Microsoft on this front are amazing. People scream dead money when, really, they got what they paid for, and they basically paid for p/e compression.
    May 7, 2013. 11:20 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is Breaking Out [View article]
    I heartily agree. I'd rather they have to (gasp) pay taxes then take on debt to do the same thing that their actual money in hand could do. I swear, some of these tech companies treat their retained earnings the way Viking kings treated their hordes.
    Apr 30, 2013. 05:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America Looks ... Intriguing [View article]
    Another nice one. I definitely agree that bank stocks aren't for everyone. For myself, the closest I'm willing to get to that area is my holdings in GE.
    Apr 30, 2013. 12:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Windows 8 Tablets Are Already Displacing iPads With More To Come [View article]
    I'd expect more of Microsoft's share to come at the expense of Google, especially once they start making 8 inch tablets.
    Apr 26, 2013. 03:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: The Bears Are Wrong [View article]
    Apple's really the only tablet company I can think of that actually reports their real numbers in absolute numbers, as opposed to terms like "record breaking sales" and the like.
    Apr 19, 2013. 04:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Crashing...And The Storm Begins [View article]
    Assuming here that gold is wealth itself, rather than a marginally useful mineral that is worth exactly what someone else will pay for it, and that price is down because Mr. Market realized that financial Armageddon hadn't happened yet.
    Apr 16, 2013. 11:40 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Crashing...And The Storm Begins [View article]
    Two things.

1) It's Cyprus, not Cypress. It's an easy mistake to make.
    2) I don't think that people who buy gold are investors, per se. They're speculators. You can be a gold investor if you have stock in, say, jewelers, gold mines or other industries related to gold, since they produce income and dividends, but bars of gold themselves are commodities that you buy in hopes of selling them at a higher price later.
    Apr 16, 2013. 11:09 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ParkerVision Vs. Qualcomm: Where Is The Upside? [View article]
    It really seems astounding that a company like Parkervision exists. Even companies that I think are kept afloat mostly by spin and cult of personality around the leader typically actually MAKE something! For a company that's been around since the 90s, this is... unconscionable.
    Apr 10, 2013. 02:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Do Short Sellers Feel Lucky? [View article]
    Sure I have, and I generally find them unconvincing. That's my prerogative, and I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong, but I find the long term bear arguments more persuasive. The possibility that I'm wrong is exactly why I haven't touched the stock, short or long.

I'll also admit that part of what makes me leary of things is that the only places I see any Blackberry enthusiasm is on investment boards about the stock. I certainly didn't see it when I checked it out at AT&T- it was buried in the back between an android and an old Blackberry. They REALLY need to get on the horn with AT&T and get that fixed.
    Mar 28, 2013. 03:44 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry To Report Q4 2013 Earnings [View article]
    I'll be more interested in next quarter's results. That'll tell us the real story.
    Mar 27, 2013. 05:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Conspiracy Theory... BlackBerry? [View article]
    Conspiracy? Seriously? If you have to posit a conspiracy for why consumers are going a different way than you are, it's possible you're just in the minority. And it's perfectly okay being in the minority. Not everyone likes what you like. I'm a fan of Windows Phone who's always found Apple fanatics annoying, but I'd never say that Windows Phone's small market share is the result of CONSPIRACY. There are logical reasons for it (lateness of its release compared to Android and iOs, inability to upgrade Windows 7 phones to 8 killing the Nokia 900 and its momentum, etc).

For Blackberry, it's the simple fact that they haven't had a great phone in a long time. When I was buying my Windows Phone, I specifically made a point of trying the other OS's. The Blackberry 7 phones struck me as decent, but clunky. I asked the employees if how many Blackberry 7 phones they sold. They said very few. The Z10 might be a wonderful phone (I haven't tried it out; the reviews I saw made it sound confusing and merely okay, but I will give it a shot at some point), but it's hard to go from people seeing you as that technological dinosaur to being an up and comer. I keep an eye out for what kind of phones people use when I'm out and about in different environments, and I've only seen about three Blackberries total in about 4 months of seriously checking. If they've invented the greatest phone operating system ever, more power to them. Now their job is to convince consumers of that fact, and so far, they haven't.

They need to get aggressive with their advertising, get killer, exclusive app or apps that everyone wants, and/or diversify their product line for different price points. They also need to see where their bread is buttered. Their biggest market isn't the US or Canada, it's Indonesia, and a cheap Blackberry 10 phone would probably do gangbusters over there. Blanket the global south with cheap Blackberry 10 phones, because THEY'RE the ones who will upgrade, but they don't have 640 dollars to spend on it. The Z10 is a fine machine, but not worth several months' salary.

I don't want Blackberry to fail, but they have their work cut out for them; they're trying to be what Apple is (they design the hardware AND all of the software) and so far, it isn't working out too well for them. It's worked out great for the investors who got in at 6 dollars, but if I were them, I'd take my profits now and wait for better news.
    Mar 26, 2013. 01:46 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ~1.5M Surface tablets have been sold since Microsoft (MSFT) launched its tablet line in late October, sources tell Bloomberg - sales of the Nvidia-powered (NVDA) Surface RT (cheaper and launched earlier) are said to be a little over 1M, and those of the Intel-powered Surface Pro around 400K. The sources add ~3M Surface RT tablets were initially ordered, a figure that suggests inventories are high. For reference, Apple sold 22.9M iPads in Q4, and IDC estimates Samsung and Amazon's Q4 tablet shipments respectively totaled 7.9M and 6M. [View news story]
    ... 400,000 Surface Pros in a month (give or take), despite all the bad reviews, the high price tag and the initial product shortages?

I think we have a sleeper hit in the works here.
    Mar 15, 2013. 02:36 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife misses by $0.06, misses on revenue [View news story]
    I'd expect all the bearish individuals and those consumer watchdog groups calling them a scam is starting to have an effect.

True or false (I think it's true, but I have no position on the stock), since their money comes from recruiting, anything that hurts recruiting is going to hurt them. So I'm not really surprised.

Also consider that the EPS miss is AFTER all of those heavy stock buybacks earlier this year.
    Nov 3, 2014. 08:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: No Place To Go But Down? [View article]
    I kinda walked into that one.

Of course, buy and hold isn't necessarily the best strategy in the midst of declining results, but good luck to you. I have no skin in this game, aside from watching from the sidelines and shaking my head at the exuberance.
    Nov 2, 2014. 06:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment