Ben Hanson

View Ben Hanson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Barnes & Noble's Google Play Puts The Ball In Microsoft's Court [View article]
    I would assume that if it were bought out, the physical devices would go away and the app and eBook store would remain.
    May 13, 2013. 06:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with you. The business model WAS broken; I think it would have worked in theory (since it's basically the same as Amazon's Kindle) but they didn't have the reach and brand image that Amazon did.

I'm glad I wasn't more invested in the Nook app store than I already was. I'm 95% sure I won't be upgrading my Nook, because the main use of it was the Nook book store, which I can get on just about any other mobile device.
    May 13, 2013. 05:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barnes & Noble And Google: New Edge Or Trojan Horse? [View article]
    One consideration I'd factor into the Kindle/Nook book question is how many users will never even consider looking for alternate e-book source, the same way that an iTunes user won't necessarily go comparison shopping on Amazon's music store.

Also, agreed, it's too bad your article got delayed. You looked at this from a POV I left out of my own article on the subject (Amazon vs BKS) and you made some good points.
    May 9, 2013. 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    They definitely surrendered any chance they had of an independent app store.
    May 8, 2013. 09:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You make a good point (though I only said it would take time, not a long time, to be utterly pedantic). It isn't all about immediate profits, and as an ecosystem builder, it'd be a great component. I just did the mental math of current Nook and Nook App users vs cost of buying out Nook vs profit per book and came up with "no immediate profit.". I DO actually support such a move; I suppose I should have specified that the annoying part for Microsoft is that their hand got forced. I'm not sure what it means that they haven't done it yet, but I'm reasonably sure they had some sort of plan.

And thanks for commenting. It's encouraging to see that I'm not the only one who was waiting for a Windows Nook, only to see this Google Play news.
    May 7, 2013. 10:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for commenting. People I've known have had better experiences with Nook HD's, and I've had a pretty good experience with an old Nook Tablet, but if you've had those sorts of issues... yeah, I'd find a different tablet supplier too.

I wish I'd thought of a good way to throw in this analogy in the paper, but compared to full blooded tablets, Nooks have generally struck me as being like Feature Phones compared to smart phones.
    May 7, 2013. 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Also, adding the Google Play store is a much simpler solution than anything else they could do. You definitely have a point, though I'm personally still bullish about the long term prospects of the Windows/Nokia alliance, and Windows 8 itself.

Thanks for commenting.