Ben Homan

View Ben Homan's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Smart Investment Of The Week: Fire Sale Price For This Fallen Russian Media Star [View article]
    You're looking at the quarterly payout. Annualized it comes out to roughly 7%
    Apr 17 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Our Bank Of America Stock Price Headed Back To Single Digits? [View article]
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong - they had originally expected $3.7B in litigation charges, but reported $6B because they wanted to set aside additional money in case. Their CFO said in a conference call that although they set extra aside, there isn't any imminent settlement - in the end it could very well be less (or more).

While the litigation expenses aren't good, I'm not sure that its quite as bad as it looks. But again, this is just upon a cursory examination.

Disclosure: No position
    Apr 16 09:49 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Informative article. Just started doing a little preliminary research on this today and wanted to bring one thing I saw to light. CJSC ABR Management owns roughly 25% of the shares, and CJSC is run by people from Bank Rossiya which is the bank currently facing sanctions for ties to Putin. Not that that is any huge negative, but to say that is free from state influence seems to be off the mark. I could be wrong though as again, this is just based off my initial look.

Thanks for the article Ben
    Apr 4 06:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Erickson Air-Crane: Big Risk, Big Reward [View article]
    Thanks for the comment indytom. I did read both things you mentioned before writing the article - The latest conference call where Mr. Reider addresses the Afghan situation as well as the linked article. I don't disagree at all, Erickson could very well profit handsomely from continued/increasing Middle East growth. My main concern still revolves around the Evergreen acquisition itself. I am content to wait and see how things progress, I may miss the boat on a good run-up but I don't think I'd feel too bad. Again, thanks for the comment!
    Jul 1 06:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Erickson Air-Crane: Big Risk, Big Reward [View article]
    Thanks Richard

You bring up a good point. It seems to be a strong fire season already from what I've seen in Arizona and Colorado, and who know how long Evergreen will pull in rev from the Afghanistan operations. I wish I was confident enough to take a position on way or the other, but there are just too many unanswered questions on both sides of the coin for me now.
    Jul 1 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exelis - Dividend Payer With 30% Upside [View article]
    Thank you for your comments.

Adam - Thanks for the insight. I only knew what I saw on paper, it is unfortunate that employees were apparently kept out of the loop - especially on such important matters as restructuring/plant closings.

Robert - It is surprising that such a small company can cover such ground and be successful at it. I wouldn't be opposed to either option you mentioned - as long as the expanded correctly. I'm not sure what kind of regulations they would face buying internationally. They cannot supply their current US military grade products to their international buyers - only slightly 'dumbed down' versions. Not sure if buying a defense company in SA as you mention would get them around that barrier?
    Jun 30 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exelis - Dividend Payer With 30% Upside [View article]
    Onecalicoat - Not sure if you saw it, but a writer for Forbes wrote a piece on Monday regarding possible consolidation in the defense industry. I'm not sure I agree with him when he says that XLS is probably too small to thrive as an independent entity, but going along with your takeover target comment, he believes Exelis to be the most attractive.
    Jun 26 03:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Erickson Air-Crane Set Up Nicely For Short Squeeze [View article]
    Thanks for the rebuttal. I'm doing research on EAC now and you provide some good insight.

Just a quick edit to your first point. EAC acquired Evergreen Helicopters, which is owned by Evergreen International Aviation which is owned by Evergreen Holdings. Not that it makes any difference to the story - I like what I see so far.
    Jun 25 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exelis - Dividend Payer With 30% Upside [View article]
    I wish I could have gotten in earlier as you did at that price. I still think there is healthy upside from today's price though. I found the same things that you did - a good patent portfolio (69 patents that I could find with the US Patent Office) and the promising bacteria killing technology.

Thank you for your comment.
    Jun 19 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Questcor Set To Beat Wall Street Predictions [View article]
    That's about what I was thinking ~$40, at least relatively short term. I try not to put much stock into targets either, just use them as a guide to over/undervaluation.

Acthar being the only product does cause me a little hesitation, but as I found out through research and you hit upon it - there are several other indications that they are seeking approval for (3-4 I think I saw?).
    Apr 9 10:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Questcor Set To Beat Wall Street Predictions [View article]
    Good article Brian. I've been on the fence the last couple days about buying in - doing research, reading, etc. Im curious - do you have a price target?
    Apr 9 09:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Citigroup: A Value Trap And A Sell [View article]
    Just saw the reply, thanks for the clarification Jake.
    Jun 5 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Citigroup: A Value Trap And A Sell [View article]
    Can you explain why you have a long position in Citi despite all the negative issues you've addressed?
    May 17 05:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment