Benjamin Goldman

View Benjamin Goldman's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Why Waiting To Short Groupon Is A Good Idea [View article]
    i think this article about not shorting groupon yet is the nicest thing anyone on SA has said
    Nov 5 09:05 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Taking Profits Is Not The Best Strategy [View article]
    Much like housing prices, it can never go down.
    Apr 3 11:41 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Taking Profits Is Never Overrated [View article]
    One of the first things you learn in finance is to look to the future, not the past when making buy or sell decisions. Selling a stock because "you already made a nice profit" is never a good way to decide to buy a stock. Instead, you should evaluate where shares currently stand, and make your buy/sell decisions based on whether the stock is overvalued or undervalued at the given time.
    Apr 2 03:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital Management: A Safe Haven for Investors in Today's Market [View article]
    Friday's crash was a result of all of NLY's major shareholders put the same "Sell" number on the stock so when it hit that number, everyone sold their shares. Everyone bought them back immediately and the stock actually increased over the 48 hour period surrounding the crash. It had nothing to do with the FUNDAMENTAL VALUE of the stock and is similar to DOW's flash crash last summer.
    Aug 3 07:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Correction Cometh - And Everything You Need To Know About Why [View article]
    I understand Andersrue's point, but long only is a bit extreme. I always believe net long is the way to go, but shorting needs to happen sometimes. In my opinion, it's about taking 70 to 100 percent long positions while trying to protect yourself against volatility
    Feb 15 12:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Salesforce.com In The Final Stages Of Its Bubble? [View article]
    I like Amazon as a company, but they'll need to get their revenue up around $300 billion to get earnings to support its price and that won't happen any time soon. I have been bullish on Zynga since the IPO, which I know is probably surprising for you. I'm not sure if its market cap is justified or not and I don't think anyone really does, but compared to what other tech darlings are being valued at, I think Zynga is easily a $20 stock. Groupon sucks.
    Feb 7 11:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Will Become Of Sears Holdings After Latest Round Of Store Closings? [View article]
    You seem to be very bullish on SHLD as you made a similar comment on my last article that said sell Sears. Since that one, shares have dropped over 40 percent

I think the bankruptcy is still a while away mostly because of the point you made and that they can raise capital. However, they will not get much cash from selling their stores. Most department stores lease and nobody the stores closing now are not sellable because they have such bad losses. I think best case scenario, Sears Holdings downsizes enough and can maybe get back into the black in 2-3 years as a much smaller company.
    Dec 27 03:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix's Price Drop Is Precursor - These Companies Could Be Next [View article]
    Yeah, I didn't include all of them because there are so many. VMW and CRM are 2 that I watch. I actually have an article pending about CMG
    Oct 25 12:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Sprint Is A Bargain At Its Current Price [View article]
    I did an article on telecoms using a lot more quantitative analysis a couple months ago and although Spring wasn't in my top 2 or bottom 2, it was near the bottom. It definitely deserves to be priced low and deserved its huge price drop, but if they make any kind of a recovery, investors can make a huge profit.
    Oct 19 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Looks Like A Pre-Surge Apple With Less Risk [View article]
    I'd like to make one clarification: I believe Google is still a good buy at $800 (although many people obviously disagree), but I haven't run the numbers on Apple's current valuation so I'm not quite sure whether Apple or Google is the better buy. Just from eyeballing it, Apple actually looks kind of cheap at its current price.
    Feb 26 09:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Happened To Zynga? [View article]
    I know I'm in the extreme minority about being bearish on Zynga, but I doubt Facebook would buy them until Zynga shares get really low. At $3, that's $2.35 billion and I don't think Facebook would bite until the $1.2 billion to $1.5 billion mark. I know Facebook has plenty of cash and could afford $2.35 billion, but they have never made an acquisition above $1 billion (Instagram) and it's starting to look like they drastically overpaid for that.
    Nov 1 01:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Groupon At The End Of Its Descent? [View article]
    Yeah, Groupon shares right now can be described as a "moving train". Best to stay out of the way.
    Apr 18 02:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Salesforce.com In The Final Stages Of Its Bubble? [View article]
    I'm pretty sure it's all other people's money or execs who buy up their own stock to keep the price artificially high. From writing bubble articles, I get a lot of comments from the bulls out there, especially for Zynga (I'm very bullish on Zynga), Amazon, Sirius, and Pandora
    Feb 7 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Salesforce.com In The Final Stages Of Its Bubble? [View article]
    This is actually a chart that I saw in my office and then I found it in Wikimedia. I just felt its resemblance to CRM's performance was worth writing about
    Feb 7 09:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rite Aid's Troubles Make It A Bankruptcy Candidate [View article]
    paying off debt is not an expense and doesn't affect earnings. learn basic accounting
    Jan 11 04:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment