Benjamin Padnos

View Benjamin Padnos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Update: Ironclad Performance Wear Q2 Earnings & Private Placement With Insiders [View article]
    @seterk: It's hard to argue with the confidence of management and board members, who just paid $0.2871 per share, and are locked up for a minimum of a year. I won't be surprised if they double their money by that time. Based on my conversations with the new management team, I can tell you they are deeply committed and very optimistic regarding the opportunities at Ironclad.
    Aug 27 11:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • WATT? 'Be Prepared To Lose All Of Your Investment' [View article]
    Wrong. Energous is on track for FCC approval. In the unlikely event that they don't, there's a back-up plan in place: licensed spectrum. They can partner with AT&T, Verizon, or others who don't fall under FCC Part 18 restrictions. I'll address this in more detail in a future Seeking Alpha article.
    Aug 20 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Resonant Could Be The Next Qualcomm Or Skyworks Solutions [View article]
    Hopefully Qualcomm licenses RESN's filter design for the next generation of the RF 360 module. QCOM is a potential customer, not really a competitor. I put QCOM on a short list of likely acquirers in the future.
    Aug 19 06:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Resonant Could Be The Next Qualcomm Or Skyworks Solutions [View article]
    @Michael Ranalli: My article clearly discloses the "risk factors" here and articulates the fact that RESN must meet specifications set by Skyworks for this stock to have the type of gains I'm anticipating. The valuation is ~$50MM because of that risk. However, once SWKS green lights Resonant's designs, I believe the stock will trade up significantly. If investors are more comfortable waiting until that risk factor is out of the way, they will simply have to pay more for RESN shares at that time.
    Aug 19 06:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Resonant Could Be The Next Qualcomm Or Skyworks Solutions [View article]
    I find being open minded to what's possible and making calculated bets on early-stage companies with transformative technologies to be the basis of an effective investment strategy. Sounds like you choose cynicism and skepticism as yours -- you should probably stock to buying treasuries.
    Aug 19 01:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • WATT? 'Be Prepared To Lose All Of Your Investment' [View article]
    See my new instablog post, WATT Shares On Sale Following Coordinated Short Attack: http://bit.ly/1n4ngF9
    Jul 30 06:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • WATT? 'Be Prepared To Lose All Of Your Investment' [View article]
    The company has zero connection to MDBX and the former interim CFO/consultant, Thomas Iwanski, is no longer involved. That's what these guys do -- innuendo and guilt by association to create fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Energous was taken public by MDB Capital. I've made a LOT of money betting on MDB Capital-backed deals, including CLIR, HEAR (formerly PAMT), IPWR, RESN and WATT. I never participated in UNXL's rise and fall -- there was a fortune to be made on the way up, and I missed out. Management's failure isn't MDB's fault.

FYI, there was a similar short/bear attack with another MDB-banked deal in the Fall of 2012 called Clearsign Combustion (NASDAQ:CLIR). I wrote at $5 that it was a screaming buy. The stock went as high as $12 and trades around $8 today.

Smart money was buying WATT today and will be buying more tomorrow with the shares "on sale."
    Jul 30 06:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Opportunity On Energous Ahead Of Wire-Free Charging Pioneer's Annual Meeting, Investor Call, Webcast [View instapost]
    InquisitiveE, see today's joint development agreement announcement: http://yhoo.it/1rXEziC. This is the Company's 4th JDA in ~2 months and another proof-point of commercial potential for Energous' WattUp technology.
    Jul 10 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I believe the last publicly-released number of patents filed was 50, but that was a while ago, so I believe it's closer to 100 by now. (You might reach out to the company directly for that question: ir@energous.com.) FYI, management has indicated they may make as many as 200-300 patent filings to protect their IP over the next couple of years.
    Jul 9 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Starbucks, Intel Deals Point To Major Gains In Energous As A Wire-Free Charging Future Nears [View article]
    Start-up Founders get $.001 priced shares all of the time. It's standard practice for "Founder's Stock." That Michael Leabman chose to make some of these shares available to his parents has absolutely no bearing on the future success of Energous and its disruptive technology. It was nothing more than a son showing gratitude to his parents. We should all be so lucky!
    Jun 30 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @huthutho - I've seen live demonstrations of the technology and it works. See for yourself; here's a link to a video: http://bit.ly/1soBzwW. Currently the charging range for WattUp is at least 15 feet. From the S-1: "We believe that if our development efforts are successful, our transmitter/receiver solution will initially be able to power or charge multiple electronic devices at up to 1.5 watts at distances of up to 30 feet. Subsequent development efforts will focus on increasing the charging wattage, increasing the distance of charging, enhancing reliability, enhancing management and control of the solution and reducing design cost."

My contention is that when WattUp becomes the technology standard for wire-free charging in mobile phones, tablets, and all of the various products I've listed in the article, I believe the company could fetch a billion-dollar valuation....perhaps more!
    Jun 18 01:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    WattUp technology is 100% safe.
    Jun 17 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @Stock Reversals: I appreciate the healthy skepticism, and I referred to WATT as an "aggressive....public venture capital" play, so there's certainly risk. That said, if they achieve the success I believe they will, this stock has billion-dollar potential. The last 8 companies that Steve Rizzone, Energous' CEO, has led have sold for a collective $5 billion. Miss out or bet against him at your peril!
    Jun 17 06:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The public statements I've seen suggest WattUp will be commercially available to licensees (such as Hanbit Electronics and Dong-Hwa) by the fourth quarter of this year. I expect several more Joint Development Agreement announcements in the months to come.
    Jun 17 06:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The crazy EPS was due to a one-time accounting charge related to derivative liability. Energous raised $25 million at the IPO in March....In Q1 '14 they had operating losses of $2MM, so they have YEARS of runway from the IPO proceeds. I think they'll probably do a secondary offering at some point when the stock is in the $20s or $30s and raise another ~$50MM. I wouldn't be surprised that along with institutional investors, they take money from strategics (OEMs, ODMs, etc.) at that time.
    Jun 17 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment