Bering Hill

View Bering Hill's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4 Reasons Adamis Pharmaceuticals Could Be A Multi-Bagger [View article]
    Joe,
    Very nice article. I am amazed at how much work you must have invested in this article. I have been an owner for a couple of years - waiting patiently. It is interesting to note, and you've likely noticed this as well, that when there is some press like your article, the stock price surges for a day or so. Then the profit taking runs the price back down for a month or so. When Adamis finally gets some revenue, hopefully later this year, then the price will get past these resistance levels and pay the patient holders handsomely. Thanks again for your massive contribution.
    May 16 09:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is A Cancer Vaccine Closer Than We Think? [View instapost]
    Thanks for your great article. This company is such a hidden gem and you have provided much appreciated insight into their progress and product line. I continue to be fascinated by the amazing pipeline that exists and the long term opportunity presented by this company. Today's (12-11-13) drop in price seems to align the price with the diluted price per share after the offering. This next year should be a significant year for their operations. Long ADMP
    Dec 11 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adamis Pharmaceuticals: Two Companies For The Price Of One [View article]
    Except for one recent investor who unloaded a bundle of shares, the price fluctuations appear to be only "noise" created by day traders - average volume is generally very low. Those who understand what this company is about are in long. Thank you for a great article and for your thorough follow-up. Long ADMP.
    Dec 4 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Social Security Is Not Enough In Retirement [View article]
    Joe, this article is spot on. I've seen many clients in my practice who are relying on Social Security income more than they had planned. The real frustration for many is the misunderstanding that Social Security benefits were not taxable. My Instablog posting explains this tax and shows how retirees are getting hit with a 46.25% marginal tax rate. See it here:

Dec 16 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Let Yield On Cost Lull You Into Complacency: VF As Case In Point [View article]
    Thanks to both Robert & DVK for your input.
    Larry
    Nov 29 08:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SDS, Thanks for your support. I hope to provide more articles at some point. With tax season approaching, I will be a bit busy for a few months. The last article I wrote was rejected as not having "actionable" investment ideas so I put it on my instablog which can be accessed via my profile. You might find it an interesting read.

The "return" would be different than "yield", but I am definitely looking back to my original investment to show how it performed.
    Larry
    Nov 29 08:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yield On Cost Really Important To Dividend Investors? [View article]
    David, Great article. This single sentence you wrote is an excellent summarization of the issue:

"Again, since dividends are paid on shares owned, not the value of the position owned, focusing on the yield in and of itself may prevent an investor from making better decisions for his income stream."

Keep these great articles coming.
    Nov 28 11:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security Benefits and the 55.5% Tax Bracket [View instapost]
    Thanks for your comment. I have replied privately by sending you a message due to the personal nature of your question.
    You said "it's going to take me awhile to absorb" - I actually got a similar response from a CPA collegue here in town and from my son who practices in another state. Frankly, as I said in the article, most taxpayers pass thru Social Security purgatory without realizing it. And I suspect most professional tax preparers help clients who have already passed thru. That's why most I have talked with have no idea what is happening. The "lower" income retiree is the one most likely getting hurt by this because their total income puts them right in the middle of it.
    Nov 19 08:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investing And Black Jack: How Strategic Money Management Can Make You A Winner [View article]
    Rock, My opinion only - but I don't sell a stock just because I have a nice capital gain. If the dividend and the price (along with the underlying fundamentals, of course) are appropriately balanced and there is no indication of a forthcoming problem, I leave it alone. If there is an "out of balance" condition such as rapidly increasing price leaving the dividend in the dust (in other words, yield much lower than "normal") I take a close look at whether profit taking is appropriate. Consider tax consequences if not in a qualified account.
    Nov 19 08:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You are more than welcome to use it. I look forward to your "hornet's nest".
    Nov 19 03:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks “Liberal Arts” Dave, you can see my blog on my profile page. It is a complicated subject. Most people don’t know there is a 55.5% marginal tax bracket thanks to the tax on Social Security benefits. I welcome your feedback.

You left several comments on my article this morning, but I will reply here since your article has a much better thread of comments than mine.

Assume you replaced your KO with INTC when INTC had precisely the same yield as KO. Your annual dividend payments would be the same. You are correct that you would have purchased more shares of INTC. In your example, 3.35 shares of INTC for every share of KO. But if today’s yields were precisely the same, you could divide the KO dividend by 3.35 and get the INTC dividend. The quarterly dividend payments you receive will not change a nickel.

Your reply above is so important. Rising prices cause yield’s to drop. The rising price gives you wealth but doesn’t give you income. If you are able to move the wealth from an overvalued stock (net of tax, if applicable) into a fundamentally sound stock that improves your cash flow, then you have accomplished two things: 1) avoided a plummet when the market realizes overvalue; and 2) put your wealth to work at a higher yield thereby improving cash flow.
    Nov 19 01:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Probably too late now. Once placed in the blog, I understand it can't be submitted as a premium article. Thanks for the tip.
    Nov 18 04:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I agree Makoto. But the forward look begins with today's yield for each stock being compared, not the historical of the relinquished stock.
    Nov 18 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Robert, The current yield makes all the difference, not YOC. See the article I wrote a couple of weeks ago. In it, I show VFC YOC at 4.43% but the current yield is only 2.17% because the price has increased so much. I showed that selling it and reinvesting in WMT at 2.61% yield would return higher quarterly payments. WMT's new YOC is 2.61%, clearly lower than the 4.43% for VFC. The decision to switch depends on the future appreciation potential of the target stock. If the relinquished stock is overvalue, holding it because of the YOC wouldn't be the correct investment decision.
    Nov 18 03:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    If you don't specify which shares to sell, the brokerage will remove them from your account on a FIFO basis. If you want to identify specific shares to be sold in order to control gains/losses, you must do so before the trade's settlement date.
    Nov 18 03:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment