Bernard Vavala

View Bernard Vavala's Comments BY TICKER:
  • iPass: An Inexpensive, Undiscovered Play On The Boom In Smartphones And Tablets [View article]
    You would think so wouldn't you ? When this materializes I will gladly pay higher prices to join in the reindeer fun. Not holding my breath though. Sorry to be flip about it but the CEO has sung the same sung too many quarters now.
    Aug 16 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Crudely put there just after revenues now vs higher margined biz because it wasn't working. I would refer you to the CC Q&A for a more in depth tap dance by the CEO.
    Aug 16 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The problem seems to be that the horse has been led to the water but he isn't drinking. When IPAS makes that horse drink it will be quite evident. What concerns me is there shift back to a strategy they had discarded. It makes me question current management. At some point you just have to get it done
    Aug 15 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If it does, it won't be in the 2nd half of 2013 according to managment. SHOW ME, IPAS.
    Aug 14 11:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I don't think it's as much a matter of time as it is a reason for potential users to use IPAS services. So far this has been painfully slow. Very much a show me situation now. In my opinion, management has lost much credibility, at least with me.
    Aug 13 11:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hammer,

Have to call it as I see it. Lovely PR but horrendous numbers and an even worse performance by the CEO on the CC. I can't recommend this investment until management proves itself. So far it hasn't.
    Aug 8 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hammer,

The IPAS legacy biz continues to rundown even as they are making progress with their new initiatives. While I would hope for YoY growth in the 2nd quarter I am far more interested in future guidance for the balance of the year as management as stated revenues would ramp in the latter half of 2013. Hopefully the insider buys reflect this confidence. Stock action has certainly been better. We'll have a much better idea on the next CC.
    best, Bernard
    Jul 31 10:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Disaster Scenario For Treasury Bonds [View article]
    BTW I think you are right in your endeavor to point out the potential danger the fed faces in their continued attempt to control the long end of the curve. Good article.
    Jul 29 08:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Disaster Scenario For Treasury Bonds [View article]
    "Since December 2012, the Fed has been buying $40 million of mortgage bonds and $45 million of "longer-term" Treasury bonds per month. This is commonly referred to as quantitative easing."

One would wish that it were only millions. Our brilliant leader at the Federal Reserve has been buying 85 BILLION with B of these securities each month.
    Jul 29 07:01 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MiMedx: All Signals Say 'Sell Now' [View article]
    This article is riddled with misinformation. At least have the professionalism to correct blatant errors. Why has this not been done?
    Jul 20 11:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hudson Technologies Inc.: A Pure Play On The Boom In Refrigerant Reclamation [View article]
    Hi,

thanks for question. The EPA acted because the price of R22 was skyrocketing, over 20 a pound in some mrkts. The investment thesis is still the same as R22 will be phased out over the next 6 years. The EPA wants prices higher but not all in one year. The allocation is less important to HDSN than where prices ultimately settle. I would expect prices will still be in double digits but I want to see where they settle out over the next week or so. Best guess is that the market has overreacted but still need more info on pricing in the wake of the EPA move. At some price, HDSN becomes that much more attractive a takeout candidate.
    Hope these thoughts help.
    Apr 1 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Digirad Is A Compelling Investment Opportunity With Little Downside Risk [View article]
    Any idea of what their patent portfolio is worth? thanks
    Mar 19 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Paul,

Any thoughts on the looming proxy battle for DRAD with last night's filing
    by Red Oak LLC? I can see no other motive for such a filing. If it's to truly set a different course for the company what more would they expect of the current shareholder friendly board? This seem purely an attempt to see that DRAD is sold to the highest bidder. Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

bernard vavala
    Mar 19 03:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for commenting. This is indeed correct and it the reason HDSN believes it can actually increase market share organically as r-22 continue to increase, a double whammy if you will, a positive one !
    Feb 24 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's All The Ruckus About Ruckus Wireless? [View article]
    sstrand1,

My chief interest in RKUS is its breakthrough in making WiFi are more "complete" experience as it affects IPAS in which I do own shares. Please see my recent article on IPAS which fully reflects my feelings. Needless to say, I think IPAS is very undervalued and a great long term hold though it is up from the price of 1.92 at the time of my article. Cheers.
    Feb 19 06:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment