Beurs-Advies

View Beurs-Advies' Comments BY TICKER:

• The Value And Pricing Of Cash: Why Low Interest Rates And Large Cash Balances Skew P/E Ratios [View article]
    Great article, enjoyed it very much.
    May 29, 2015. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In The Wake Of Recent Months, Here's What To Expect From Oil [View article]
    Thanks for adding to the discussion, I strongly recommend you start writing articles about oil sir, top notch value.
    May 4, 2015. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reviewing The Adidas Group: Why You Might Prefer Cheap Adidas Over Expensive Nike [View article]
    Adidas is at 69 EUR at the moment. Up +16% since published.
    Mar 2, 2015. 08:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Start Living An Easier Life And Start Beating The Market Through Contrarian ETF Investments [View article]
    Return on my GREK ETF so far: 20%.
    Return on my Russian ETF: 7%.
    Return on my oil ETF: 12%.

Return of the S&P 500 since jan. : -1.85%
    Feb 3, 2015. 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    A & B are quite easy: John is not a fool and will only get in when things are pretty worse therefore he doesn't get in that easily. 2007 was the very, very beginning of the crisis where things were still uncertain: were things really going bad or not? That wasn't really a contrarian play.

So the 26% drop from $95 to $70 during 2007 did absolutely not count and John wasn't seeing this as decent drop, but just a mere correction, in fact things stabilized during Jan. and Feb. 2008 and it went from $70 to $75 so nothing was wrong.

However, then the IXG fell from $75 in feb 2008 to $45 (-40%) (unadjusted figures) in one big decline, that's when John decides to get in.

7 oct. 2008 Adjusted data (weekly figures) Yahoo finance shows (today): $35, which is also not $34.03 but is also not $38.44. Weird that Yahoo is showing such a gap in figures for the same data. All the data was pulled out of yahoo and was set in my excel tables. I can send you printscreens if you want, just give me your email in a private message.
    Jan 15, 2015. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am using income streams, so yeah using money from within the portfolio might not be optimal for this strategy, but it is nice that you're keeping track.

P.S. second attempt at replying, something's wrong with SA.
    Jan 15, 2015. 11:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm doing it based on income stream, so yeah, no idea how it would play out when financed within the portfolio.
    Jan 15, 2015. 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi there,

I recently took a first position into the RSX and I'm also planning on taking a position in an oil ETF next week.
    Jan 15, 2015. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Did you even read the article? Caching a falling knife is not the point, the point is that once the ETF in question falls 40% that you then initiate a FIRST position, so if the ETF continues to fall further, than that is great for your second, third and fourth purchase, and so on. As you'll be dollar-cost averaging.

So "...I think that would have been a better entry point than buying at -40% and hoping that the worst was over." is not valid. John or whoever it was, was not hoping that the worst was over, he was just getting himself a first position, he wasn't thinking that this was the end of the drop, as he just admits that he'll never know how low things can go.

By the time the valid rebound is there (which could still turn south because when is a rebound really valid and when not?), the one who has been dollar cost averaging all along will have made a decent profit, you however will not.

This strategy seems to be perfectly fine when doing this during a time period of 11 - 12 months and then just get out. So no timing involved whatsoever. If you haven't made a single profit on your dollar cost averaging after a full year, after initiating a first position after a 40% drop, then you're probably f*cked as the problems are most likely severe and could last multiple years.
    Jan 14, 2015. 02:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey man, yeah perhaps Argentina would have been something interesting to look at as well, however it is always up to the investor to take risks he is comfortable with. For example I'm not so comfortable with Brasil/Argentina, but I do am more comfortable with Russia and Greece.

I also don't think there were any ETFs on Argentina when they went completely bankrupt. The only one I can find is this one (went live in 2003): Global X MSCI Argentina ETF (ARGT) and If you had dollar cost averaged on this one after the 2011 decline, then you'd also have a nice profit by the end of 2011.
    Jan 14, 2015. 11:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Join Them If You Can't Beat Them: Stop Picking Individual Stocks And Start Living An Easier Life [View article]
    Hey man, you're actually revealing what my second article will be about: buying the lows of other ETfs right now instead of buying the SPY all the time.

I don't know how to get around this double taxation though, I'm just glad that we're not (yet) being taxed on general profits.

Glad you enjoyed.
    Jan 12, 2015. 12:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hey man, Warren is great. I used him only for comparison purposes to make my point. I'm not advising you to do anything. Just spreading my research; in this case of the SPY.

I might do the same test for Berkshire and see how they performed. Probably better, I agree.
    Jan 9, 2015. 04:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey man, awesome goals. Similar to mine. And interesting take on how you want to achieve your goals. Keep it up, you'll definitely do fine.

This article is just a thought-experiment for the most part. I like the part where you mentioned greater portfolio control. I also don't like paying too much for anything and therefore also never do and feel hesitant to buy the SPY. I might prefer buying ETF's of countries that are much cheaper now: Russia/Greece..

And "Failure" is indeed a very subjective word. As long as one can achieve what he/she wants to achieve than he has succeeded.
    Jan 9, 2015. 04:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi there, interesting comment - although not unexpected.

Yes, I'm a college student, a college student working very hard in his spare time in order to have $500 per month to invest. Glad you appreciate my work-ethic.
    Jan 9, 2015. 10:59 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Please Help Us Pick Outstanding Performance Award Winners For January [View article]
    I nominate this article of myself as it was spot-on in every way:

"I strongly believe that good things will come to those who are patient and that a take over price of at least $8 will be obtained."

And the project got taken over for +-$9. Which gave investors a return of 100% and more.
    Dec 30, 2014. 04:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment